Devizes to Westminster guestion

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, Surf, etc.
norb

Devizes to Westminster guestion

Post by norb » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi
Did anybody paddling race without support crew??? Its nessesery to have support crew?
Many thanks
Norbert

twopigs

Re: Devizes to Westminster guestion

Post by twopigs » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:42 pm

I know folks who have done the stages event without a support crew - made the cut at Marlow by minutes. But you can always advertise for a support team if doing the straight through ..... met a couple of support crews last year at about 2 in the morning who had only met their paddlers a few days before when they arrived from continental Europe.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

lennart

Post by lennart » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:23 am

When is started it was forbidden to have any support all had to be carreid in the boat. Since then the race has changed a bit to the thing it is now.

The support was a number of years compulsary. This year I see it is not any more.

for me hthe main reasons to have support
first of all for safety. the last couple of years the racers now have tackers. that helps everybody a lot to know what is happening with the crews. but onthe screenyou can not see how the crew is dooing how they paddle /behave how tired they are etc.
it is a team efford. the team is 1 or 2 paddlers and 1 to 4 support. on the nonstop i thingk 2 suport is minimun staying awake for 24 hours and driving smaal roads is maybe more dangorous if you do that alon then paddling the race. most supporters o know like the yourney a lot. Even if it is cold dark ect.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.

PaulK1

Post by PaulK1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:24 pm

The race is organized assuming you will have a support crew, so there aren't aid stations with drinks and snacks like you would get at lots of long/ultra distance running races. So you would have to carry lots of drink - quite possible but harder and slower. In the same way, you can't count on having someone from the organisers be the sensible one to pull you out if you get in trouble since that is expected to be your support crew's job.
Having said that, if you're prepared well and you know going in to the race that you won't have any support then it has to be possible. I'm not sure it's a good idea and I'd recommend you ask around and see if anyone is willing to support you.

norb

Post by norb » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Im considering Senior Single class.
I can paddling unsupported :) Have got few unsupported open sea crossing
Little Minch open sea crossing 21 miles time 4h39min.
North Minch crossing 35 miles time time 7h39 min.
Circumnavigation of Jura island distance 65 miles time 14h52min.
Infinity Loop is my best, combined circumnavigation of Jura and Scarba at once , distance 77 miles and 18h 02 min .
Weekend activity when not working
And so on...
Sea kayak isn't fast like k1
All done unsupported .
Im paddling 18 foots long sea kayak with roder , its to heavy for portages .
My mates going to lend me stabile marathon boat.
6 months ago I broke my leg during outdoor activity and last 4 months Im paddling everyday.
The less I know then more I want,
Today I paid BCU membership ( insurance and waterways)
Being in crowd isn't my cup of tea
But.. I think Im going
Why not?

lennart

Post by lennart » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:25 am

In the Silnges/4 day. there will not be a big problem.
the crowd is mostly the juniors. I like the energy they mostly have. Have a good recovery from the leg. I guess finding someone the take ypur overnight gear from devizes to newbury/marlow/ teddington/is doabale. but takes a bit of eford. you can ask the organisation. the campsite in newbury is bigeough to feel alone. marlow and teddingto have less space. hopefully we see eachothere there. Sandra and i are trainig for the Endeauvour class.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:49 pm

I think it is a great idea for the singles event. I read somewhere of a paddler using a van and a motorbike to get his stuff to the next campsite.
The logistics look to be a real challenge.

norb

Post by norb » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:16 pm

Just got confirmation my entry to DW and number my boat . 747 :)

norb

Post by norb » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:44 pm

It was fantastic experience being part of DW.
The hardest part was portages, never did any portages before.
I carry with me exactly amount of water , only few sweets ,and small dry bag with spare one warm jacket.
I dont capsized but few times my boat turn into a sub marine when trying get out to high bank of canal.
When I finished each day I left kayak and back by public transport pick up my car with all my paddling gear changing only top.
Last day was logistic nightmare. After reaching Westminster Bridge I walk to Vauxhall station, get train to Teddington and walk again to Thames young Mariners camp when I left car. Driving car through London took longer than paddling. Driving was really very stressful
If I know I will be back when tide turn up.
Worst just happens next. I park my car near Waterloo Station.
Walk to Westminster pick up my boat. On my way to car I get lost and took me a couple h find the car.
Self support isn't the best option but that the only choice I was having.
I really enjoyed the race and . Im glad being small part of DW.
I feel wash down today, but I want go again
Many thanks
Norbert

PaulK1

Post by PaulK1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:32 am

Congratulations norb! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. Doing it self supported sounds like quite a challenge...

PSK

Post by PSK » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:50 am

Congratulations Norbert. Well done.

lennart

Post by lennart » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:06 am

congrats to finishing the race , we had a good time with support , andi can seeit being hard without support. not sure if you had the energy left to paddle back and if that is allowed. but it might bean ootion next time just wait till the tides change.. maybe see you next year. greetigns from Lennart and sandra boat 607

norb

Post by norb » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Lenart I saw you and Sandra for moment . Your name was on side of the boat but it wasn't moment for mi to conversation ,
You guys have a really good time .Congratulation
Hopefully see you next year
norbert