Trying to get in a slalom boat..

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
Cabbagepatchkid

Trying to get in a slalom boat..

Post by Cabbagepatchkid »

I've been toying with the idea of buying a slalom boat and training in it with the idea to improve my river running/creeking.

I used to play polo for fitness but I've lost interest since returning to the sport and it would mean me finding a polo boat!

Here's my problem im 120kg 6ft 2/3ish. I'm struggling to find a big cheap slalom boat. Plastic or composite.

Would I need to buy new and custom for myself?

Or should I keep hunting for a fixer upper I can use to try the sport

(Glass and Kevlar repair is no problem so I'm not fussed if I smash it off a few rocks it's just for a cheap entry into the discipline)

jam bo

Re: Trying to get in a slalom boat..

Post by jam bo »

buy an axiom 9.0 and run rivers in that?

Cabbagepatchkid

Post by Cabbagepatchkid »

jam bo wrote:buy an axiom 9.0 and run rivers in that?
I was considering an axiom last night after posting this.

I might look for a second hand one, I'm not really looking to run rivers in it I just want to build up my fitness, strength conditions etc. I can go the gym all day long but it's no substitute for actual paddling.

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

I agree with going with an Axiom. I haven't been overly impressed with any of the plastic slalom boats, though that might be partly because they are made to take a heavier person and therefore don't perform for a lighter paddler.

Getting hold of a decent second-hand slalom boat for your size is difficult. They do exist, but unfortunately they are bought by more mature paddlers who like to get some use out of their investment rather than the hot-shot who is upgrading every other year, so they don't come up very often on the second-hand market. Usually when someone is looking to change their boat the whisper gets out and a long queue soon forms!
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

Jim

Post by Jim »

Are you still thinking about a slalom boat?

If so check out Galasport MEXXL, it was a new model last year so you won't find one second hand, but you can choose from 5 different constructions, the cheapest 2 of which will cost you less than most plastic boats (Diolen, and Mixt).

I'm a little shorter and lighter than you but struggled with most other boats I tried except the Sonic Boom, for the MEXXL they have basically raised the foredeck of a Sonic Boom slightly making it even more comfortable for heavier and taller paddlers. I have room to spare in mine.

There are downsides:
- slalom boats are built to order and Galasport build time is usually 4 months or more
- because of its size my MEXXL is not as laterally stiff as other smaller boats and it has not taken that many impacts against the blocks on my local artificial WW course to develop a couple of cracks - I do however generally train with prem and div1 paddlers so I'm attempting moves way beyond ability on a really tight course where if I fail I generally end up slamming a block.

But other than that it is a great boat to paddle, and I can fit in comfortably, and on any normal river or wider WW course you won't have an issue with slamming into things.

Where are you based?

Conor Buckboy

Post by Conor Buckboy »

I'm 6ft 3 with size 12 feet and can squeeze into a perception reflex, a plastic slalom trainer. It's a 50/50 if I get cramp but on the chances I don't I can sit in it for about 1 hour or so. They are tough too and should be kinda cheap.