Sprint and play boat comparison

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, Surf, etc.
solentpaddler

Sprint and play boat comparison

Post by solentpaddler » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:39 am

Hi there,

I'm a student at Southampton Solent University and am studying Adventure and Extreme Sport Management. I'm currently doing a piece of work on the sociology of adventure sports and their subcultures, more specifically looking at the comparison of the subcultures of play boaters to sprint paddlers. It is a netnography piece so I would need to take segments or screenshots of the conversation, however the information will be used only for the purpose of a university piece and in a ethical manor.

I'm specifically looking how people view the sport, motives for participation and key factors that allow you to identify yourself as being part of your subculture of kayaking, i.e; kit, terminology, moreover how you view 'others' i.e; those who are core lifestyle paddlers compared to people who partake for recreational purposes.

If you feel you can contribute any discussion or insight it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks and kind regards.

Solentpaddler

Conor Buckboy

Re: Sprint and play boat comparison

Post by Conor Buckboy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:03 am

I also live in Southampton and I see myself as a lifestyle paddler, I do both playboating and sprint racing as well as polo. I see playboating as fun enjoyable activity to do in warmer weather and when going around the country, a sort of thing I can do with my friends and play around and an excuse to show off.
Racing sprint boats and marathons I see as a personal challenge, where playboating is with a group of friends in my k1 I train solo or mostly with a singular friend at a time, it's more of a personal game. How fast can I paddle, and how many people can I beat.

When I go playboating with strangers I have loads of friendly conversations with them, try their boats and generally laugh around. When I meet fellow racers wither training or racing I don't often break into conversation unless I've known them for a while. Also reluctant to let them try my boat.
If any others questions I'd be happy to help too.

Hengle

Re: Sprint and play boat comparison

Post by Hengle » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:31 am

With out wanting to make this a Southampton Fest.....

Although the majority of my moving water paddling is (quite) a while back I still consider my self a Padder who trains for competition because its easyier to do this in Southampton and it will give me the stamina and strength to do the rec disciplines. With the Adventure disciplines (White Water, Sea, Surf etc) I was very focused around the band of frends and the conversation on the river, the motivation was to go and have an adventure - to challenge my skill and mindset. However with the Challenge disciplines I have participated in (Flatwater, Slalom, WWR) its very club (Tribe) focused with the club being all important and the conversations happening off the water pre and post training. The motivation is around improving my performance to lift the clubs performance within the competitive structure.

The telling feature between the 2 areas is their approach to Risk with the recreational disciplines there is a more taught agenda that follows a program leading to specific named strokes and the need to have kit for the eventuality. where as with the challenge mindset its more about developing the individual to be competant in on the day e.g. its hot, sunny and flat maybe I dont need a BA today as the greatest risk will be heat exaustion.

When training on the river we often speak to the recreational paddlers and I see them as taking part in the same sport, just with different objectives than I have set my self that day.

For terminology I consider my self to be a Paddler who paddles a boat with blades, I am comfortable with the gereric Canoeing and would prefer a more cohesive sport than the division of disciplines.

Hengle