DW Wing sizes and K2 choices

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, Surf, etc.
daplew

DW Wing sizes and K2 choices

Post by daplew » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi all,

I completed DW 2015 earlier this year and am now looking to do it again in 2016. This year I was using a loaned Kirton Meister K2 and set of Canoesport B4 paddles. I'm looking to improve my time to the sub 20 hour mark this year, and am on the hunt for some kit of my own. Firstly, I am keen on getting my own paddle, but I am slightly unsure which is the one for me (I'm a 5''11', 75kg bloke). I was very happy with the B4s, and could just buy a pair of those, but am curious about offerings from the likes of Jantex, Gara and Lettman too. Which one of theirs is equivalent to the B4s?
Then, regarding the vessel. My partner and I paddle stably (is that a word?!) in a Kirton Mirage, but fail miserably when attempting a Kirton Mustang. What are the best in between options? We are prepared to buy new but also keen if 2nd hand presents the correct oppurtunity.
Thanks in advance.

lennart

Re: DW Wing sizes and K2 choices

Post by lennart » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:10 pm

Brasca makes very nice paddles, not sure why to look further. jantex beta is very close to the brasca 4. lettmann is differnt but good as well. I did mine dw races with epic mids.

There are many indetmediate racing k2's try before buy. , the dw facebook group seems to be a good place for advise and boats. the reading canoeclub has a good place for seconds hands as well. and ebay gumtree. It sounds you can look for a stilletto or similar. new try marsport or ultimate kayaks. they seem to me the best places .(remember I amfrom the netherlands just visiting the uk for the dwraceI do not know all details about paddling in Britain
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.

Bonzodog

Post by Bonzodog » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:19 pm

I used a Knysna Big Rush and Knysna wings for the DW this year. Very happy with both. I bought them from Richard Elliott of Race Pace Ltd. I reckon that the Big Rush is about a stability 4 on the 1-10 scale. We tried a Mirage as well and felt that the Big Rush was faster with little loss in stability. The Knysna wings are similar to B4+ (I think).

Fast Pat

Post by Fast Pat » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:20 pm

Just put a Meister up for sale - with stability comes speed!