WW Grand Prix - Round 1

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
Lancs_lad

WW Grand Prix - Round 1

Post by Lancs_lad » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:28 pm

Its a playboating round so does get a bit repetitive. For me Troutman wins this one hands down for the men.

On another note, why are the women light years behind the men? Timing, bounce and flip yourself cant all be down to the usual "men are stronger" argument.

https://vimeo.com/93340455

(Not allowed to embed it.)

RizzRat

Re: WW Grand Prix - Round 1

Post by RizzRat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:31 pm

You'd be surprised - crazy difference in strength!!!

Especially in competitors like Dane and Nick Troutman - they're pretty young.

Thats like scoffing at Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce vs Usain Bolt!!!!!!!!! They're the same age both the fastest in their gender yet street lengths apart. Sprinting is like playboating - explosive strength.

Hands down - Strength issue!!!!!!!!
Generally p!ssing people off since 1984!

Kenny P

Post by Kenny P » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Lancs_lad wrote: On another note, why are the women light years behind the men? Timing, bounce and flip yourself cant all be down to the usual "men are stronger"
Weight as strength are both essencial parts of big wave surfing as well as obviously timing and boat positioning.

Have you done any big wave freestyle?

Regards,

Kenny
Just an average kayaker, with exceptional hair.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:31 pm

Hey! I can get trashed and tumbled in a hole just as good as any woman...
dave

Joe L

Post by Joe L » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:45 pm

Strength makes a difference but not a huge one. Its all technique. Dane is pretty tiny, and goes bigger than everyone.
It depends what they focus on as well. Most of the ladies seem to be pretty good all round where as the top male freestylers are pretty focused.

Fr0d0nk

Post by Fr0d0nk » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Joe L wrote:where as the top male freestylers are pretty focused.
That's true, I hear that Dane & Nick are terrible at creeking, and as for Rush, EJ and Evan Garcia, I haven't even seen them in a river boat.

banzer

Post by banzer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:52 pm

RizzRat wrote: Thats like scoffing at Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce vs Usain Bolt!!!!!!!!! They're the same age both the fastest in their gender yet street lengths apart. Sprinting is like playboating - explosive strength.
Sorry, don't agree (scoff!). The difference between the fastest men and women sprinters is about 10%. Shelly-Ann would beat the vast majority of male sprinters. With regard to playboating, I would have thought what the women might lack in muscles they can make up for in timing, flexibility and light weight.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Anyone remember that photo of Dane throwing a massive airscrew on the Nile when he was about 11? I don't know much about big wave freestyle but find it hard to believe sheer strength is the limiting factor.

There's a few top lady playboaters not there. There's only 7 ladies to 25 men. Half of the men didn't throw anything that would have been outstanding in the ladies.

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Aside from that, anyone else really excited to see the rest of the event? I think the format and concept of the whole event is class! Some of the footage from the first one in Quebec was incredible, hoping for more of the same. Or even more impressive, though it looks like they might not have quite so much water this time. That vid is a pretty good start. Would be interesting to get a breakdown of the big scoring tricks in order and reasoning why they were judged highly.

Sandra is going to smash them all in the races!

RizzRat

Post by RizzRat » Thu May 01, 2014 10:52 am

banzer wrote:
RizzRat wrote: Thats like scoffing at Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce vs Usain Bolt!!!!!!!!! They're the same age both the fastest in their gender yet street lengths apart. Sprinting is like playboating - explosive strength.
Sorry, don't agree (scoff!). The difference between the fastest men and women sprinters is about 10%. Shelly-Ann would beat the vast majority of male sprinters. With regard to playboating, I would have thought what the women might lack in muscles they can make up for in timing, flexibility and light weight.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... ot/260927/

Its not just boating.....
Generally p!ssing people off since 1984!

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown » Thu May 01, 2014 10:58 am

Far more men whitewater kayak (in my experience) so the best men will be better than the best women.

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil » Thu May 01, 2014 11:22 am

I'm surprised you think the gap is so big. A lot of the great female freestylers like Marianne and Claire o Hara can now do most of the tricks that the guys can do. This is a massive improvement. If you don't think so you should check out some of the footage from older rodeos such as Graz where the gap was much bigger. Women are starting to train much more specifically and now have gear to match their size and body shape and the best women wouldn't look out of place with some of the top men. What other sports does this happen in?

As someone mentioned Dane is small, but probably the best out there. He's had kit made specifically for him from a young age and has been surrounded and trained by the best as well as having great enthusiasm for the sport. I forgot to mention Emily above - she has had the same environment but is maybe a little more cautious than her brother, but an amazing and inspiring paddler to watch!

Phil

PS Rory - I also can't wait to see Sandra in the races - hope she does well!

Diamond Dave

Post by Diamond Dave » Thu May 01, 2014 12:57 pm

Anyone want to put their money where their mouth is??
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 4&t=111826
(Also I'm pretty sure all the ladies tricks were better than Big Move Evans Brown Claw...)

Mass Start boater cross on big volume next - that would be immense to take part in!
Dave Burne
Full Facers - the way forward!
http://www.fourbordersexpedition.com

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Thu May 01, 2014 4:30 pm

BigPhil wrote:What other sports does this happen in?
Showjumping, 3 day eventing and dressage although you might want to disagree about dressage being a sport. Almost all events mixed.

Looking forward to some more action from everyone.
I can roll :)

James B

Post by James B » Sun May 11, 2014 12:42 am

Freestyle can be either power (Peter Csonka) or pure technique or a bit of both. Personally and for Dane and the other skinny freestylers it's mostly technique & timing - especially with modern carbon boats.

As long as your fit and have v.good technique and are in the right boat for that style (something like the Guigui's) you can easily match and often outdo the power paddlers because you can go bigger, you flush less and use less energy for every move.

Women's is also catching up at an incredible rate actually, the gap is getting smaller every year and quite often women would place highly against the men.

Pringle

banzer

Post by banzer » Sun May 11, 2014 7:50 am

How come Ben Marr doesn't appear to be competing? Is he injured?
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Sun May 11, 2014 8:18 am

banzer wrote:How come Ben Marr doesn't appear to be competing? Is he injured?
http://www.whitewatergrandprix.com/2014 ... o-changes/
I can roll :)