Switching back n forth between stable & tippy boats...bad?

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
alphasports

Switching back n forth between stable & tippy boats...bad?

Post by alphasports » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:28 pm

I am 5 years into a Nelo Vanquish Classic that, depending on my mental state, alternates between "acceptable" and giving me fits of instability. A couple years ago I bought a half-share of a Viper 51, ostensibly for windy/cold weather conditions, but this season I find I've used the Viper more, simply because it's so much more docile hence I get true exercise as opposed to frayed nerves.

What confuses me is at one time I was reasonably competent on the Classic, but it seems the more time I spend on the Viper, the more my brain forgets of the hard-earned time on the Classic.

Anyone else have similar issues/solutions?

Cheers

OldNick

Re: Switching back n forth between stable & tippy boats...ba

Post by OldNick » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Just had a flash-back to 2009 when I posted the following comment……

"After a recent crisis of confidence in my K1 Jaguar, having lost my balance, I have acquired a C1."

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 11&t=52136

And thus started a four year journey towards the dark side.

I’m not suggesting you do the same, but your experience sounds similar to mine.

In 2009 I had just turned 51 (you don’t say how old you are) and couldn’t understand what was going on. OK, so I had just converted to Wings but it was a while after that I started having trouble. I paddled K1 Waterside that year and capsized twice on B and once on D and this was ON A CANAL!! I hadn’t capsized in years.

It seemed OK if the wind rippled the surface of the water and I had a reference point, but if it was a still day and especially in the evening, the water mirrored the sky and I sort of “lost the true horizon”.

I went to see my GP, nope nothing wrong. I went to an optician, all seemed OK. Apparently it was something to do with getting old. :-(

I still go out in the Jaguar occasionally but pushing off from the portages I have to wait to get my balance and then it’s fine.

Since I moved to the dark side I get a better paddling experience and still use the same boat with my kayak wings for a change.

You might not want to hear this (I didn’t) but it may just be age catching up.

Sorry

Nick

alphasports

Post by alphasports » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:28 pm

OldNick wrote:Just had a flash-back to 2009 when I posted the following comment……

"After a recent crisis of confidence in my K1 Jaguar, having lost my balance, I have acquired a C1."

In 2009 I had just turned 51 (you don’t say how old you are) and couldn’t understand what was going on. OK, so I had just converted to Wings but it was a while after that I started having trouble. I paddled K1 Waterside that year and capsized twice on B and once on D and this was ON A CANAL!! I hadn’t capsized in years.

It seemed OK if the wind rippled the surface of the water and I had a reference point, but if it was a still day and especially in the evening, the water mirrored the sky and I sort of “lost the true horizon”.
Thanks for the note Nick! I see some similarities in our histories...especially the rippled water. On our Olympic rowing basin we very occasionally get glass conditions and it truly messes me up!!! A dream for rowers but ghastly for me, as the 2m weeds that grow vertically to just below the surface visually taunt what's left of my brain as a 3rd dimension like flying low over trees...I go batty though not nearly as bad now as when starting. I'm early 40's BTW...these crises of confidence are highly frustrating but for the time being I remain convinced the problem is a) not enough time in the boat and b) not enough time in the boat. Our season is 6 months, and I usually log approx 30 total outings @ 8kms each. That's only about 5 per month and I don't think that's enough. Unfortunately that's all I can spare!

sensiblesimon

Post by sensiblesimon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:36 pm

There is a condition which the Eskimos got called kayak angst which led to them being unable to paddle and thus unable to hunt and support their families/communities. I think this had something to do with sitting on still water for long periods of time and losing reference points. Whilst not exactly the same in its implications for us, it is of some relief to hear that there are others whose paddling is sent haywire during what should be the easiest of conditions. This feels even more maddening when you have paddled well on white water for years! I don't completely buy the age argument from the GP. I have just posted on the masters K1 thread about making progress after hypnotherapy and sessions with a psychologist.