Glute pain from the inside

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
Elspeth

Glute pain from the inside

Post by Elspeth »

Hi

I'm a relatively new paddler (started in July), now training for my first Hasler, and I sustained the customary beginner's tendinopathy in my left shoulder in December due to overtraining.

Since a gradual return at the beginning of the year I have started getting a very uncomfortable bruised feeling in my right glute, seemingly from the inside, i.e. where my sit bone contacts my glute . It now comes on only minutes after getting in the boat and after training it is very painful to sit down for a couple of days and weirdly on tensing it the muscle seems to creak or scrunch.

Same boat, same seat (I'm still in a Trimmer, waiting for summer to start falling out of a Tor), largely the same sessions, but I think I'm probably rotating more than I was on that side to put less strain on my shoulder as I've never had this before. My theory is that when I twist in the seat the muscle gets twanged by the bone on the uncoil (I have a sedentary job and it's quite an underused muscle!) but I get uncomprehending looks when I suggest this.

There's no pain down my hamstring and I don't seem to be particularly lopsided in any way that anyone can see. Foam on the seat doesn't help, nor does the cushion I ended up making myself in an afternoon of desperation before what was going to be a very painful session. I end up 'limping' towards the end of a session with no leg drive at all because it is so painful and it's really cramping my style and making me extremely sad in a boat. Incidentally having recently paddled very hard in the back of a K2 with a more moulded seat I had no discomfort during or after.

Has anyone else had this? No one at my club knows what I mean when I talk about it, and you can imagine the nonsense Google is throwing at me.

Any suggestions as to what this is and how I can prevent it would be much appreciated. I'm not sure sitting on hot water bottles and ice packs indefinitely will do my nether regions much good.

Thanks

neonbowhawk

Re: Glute pain from the inside

Post by neonbowhawk »

Am I reading this right that your own bum bone is pinching your bum against the seat creating a bruise that hurts for days afterwards?

Elspeth

Post by Elspeth »

That's what it feels like!

The 'creaking' sensation has just stopped from this morning's 8am session, and I'm back on the water in another two hours to start the whole process again.

neonbowhawk

Post by neonbowhawk »

I have no experience with your chosen discipline but I do know this pain due to having a skinny, bony a**e !

The creaking sensation you describe seems to be when the glute moves over the bum bone whilst rotating?

I have had this problem in most of my river runners and old creek boat, the solution for me was to pad the seat like a bucket seat so there is no pressure points and your weight is evenly distributed through your bum and especially the tops of the backs of your legs. This is why the more moulded seat didnt create the same problem as it didnt create the pressure points as your weight was better distributed.

Something like jackson sweet cheeks would work really well if there is room although im guessing there wont be!

My leg lifter seat in my current dagger boat also works well.

Hope this helps!

Simon

Jim

Post by Jim »

Mmm, good questions.

I know I often find myself 'pulling' assymetrically for no reason that I can fathom until later in the session I start to feel a tiny twinge of pain on the side that I rotate short on, so putting 2 and 2 together it seems that I am able to subconsciously protect niggles that I don't consciously know I have - for me it's usually niggles in my right side, perhaps related to snapping a paddle shaft over my ribs on that side a couple of years ago, perhaps something new. I also often get the feeling I am not sitting straight in my boat (WWR K1 rather than Sprint K1).

Obviously I don't have your exact symptoms, but I beleive what you think does make some sense and could be the cause for you, or part of it, certainly I have had shoulder issues send pain down into my glutes and legs as well as down my arms - but how to find out, and how to cure it?

Difficult to see what is happening in the seat area of a boat, have you considered having a friend/coach watch or video you on an ergo to see if you can identify an assymmetry in your paddling which could be responsible?

My other suggestion would be to speak to a physio about things you can do to make sure the injured shoulder is as free and flexible as possible - if it is related to defending the shoulder that would be a good place to try and cure the new problem.
Also check your footrest is even, and again with the physio maybe they can check if your legs are the same length - I know when I had bad shoulder trouble some time ago the osteopath regularly checked because in compensating I was tensing the muscles in one leg more than the other and effectively shortening that leg - a good massage to get the muscles relaxed evens things up for a while.

I would think padding the seat would reduce the amount of rotation you get from your leg work, which said my seat currently has some foam taped on because I keep forgetting to sort out some cracks and I'd rather compromise my rotation than have the seat pinching me there!

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton »

I have the same problem, pins and needles and sometimes very painful just sitting there. I have tried different kinds of padding but the pain often comes back. In my Nelo k1 I have less pain than I do in my sea kayak XP 18. I think it's my backside that has little fat and more than normal muscle due to gym squatting and heavy leg work. I have a small weight training belt attached to a bungee cord I use for a back support that I slip over the front of the cockpit rim coaming. It takes some of the effort off my back and allows a lower and straighter leg possition in my sea kayak and it helps but not always. In the k1 flat water boat the seat is slightly higher and I don't seem to have the two bones pushing into the wooden seat. However, I have resigned to the fact that as long as I keep the XP 18 sea kayak and continue heavy weight training then I'm always gonna have the pain. Maybe I should take up a desk job, get fat and see what happens!

Jim

Post by Jim »

nigelhatton wrote:Maybe I should take up a desk job, get fat and see what happens!
You will still have pains, maybe different ones but still pains. I do :)

kamala

Post by kamala »

Interesting to hear you describing this - it sounds like an unusual pain I had for a while last year. It came on suddenly in the K1 I've been paddling for ages, and was really debilitating while it lasted. Yet now it's gone, even though I'm still paddling the same boats with the same outfitting.

I didn't do anything specific to get rid of it but it happened just before a period when I couldn't paddle at all for various reasons - instead I was doing a lot of sitting around but also more walking than usual. That break from paddling might be what gave the bruising a chance to heal, and when I got the chance to paddle again it seemed to be gone.

So no definitive solutions from me, I'm sorry, but perhaps some reassurance that it can eventually go away without specific action. The rest period might be a key factor; it sounds like you're doing quite a heavy schedule if you're doing two sessions a day and coming up with overtraining injuries in your shoulder....

Elspeth

Post by Elspeth »

Thanks all.

I realized when warming up this morning that I roll to the right side more when I rotate because I drop my hip, rather than twisting on my sit bone, possibly to save lifting my other arm behind me at the end of a stroke as that's been painful and limited. I have also been in a pretty low seat so the pressure is definitely further back than ideal. I'm sure someone told me to drop my hip on rotation but I must have been exaggerating it to a ridiculous degree on that side.

With all that in mind I went out on a higher seat with a foam pad covered in bubble wrap and a plastic bag (a look rocked by quite a few people I gather!) and some awareness of my tendency to flail about from side to side rather than actually use my legs - that wasn't helping my stability so I managed the higher seat much better by not dropping my hip so much. I managed half an hour of paddling this morning in relative comfort despite a high and swirly river! That might also have been helped by the three days of heavy duty rest I put in after a 4 session week (I am trying to rest, but when the wind drops you have to take advantage).

I'm seeing a sports physio next week and have lined up our club technique coach to have a look at me as well.

Thanks again, I think I've taken a little something from all of you, and it's much appreciated. Now I just need to fix my right wrist from gripping the paddle too hard compensating for my weaker left side!

Tom88

Post by Tom88 »

How this this all turn out in the end, Elspeth? Yours is the only description that sings true to a problem I get in seatless surfski bucket when applying proper leg-driven rotation (ischial tuberosities aka "sitting bones" kneading to a pulp the lower glute muscles/tendons +/- adjacent hamstring tendons taking several days to not-quite recover after even a 30 min paddle).

Return to “Competition”