Boating up -river

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
jackp

Boating up -river

Post by jackp »

This might sound a bit of a strange question but does any such competition exist or anything similar ?
I’ve done a lot of sea kayaking into heavy head wind and against the incoming tide which is hard work but a good work out and strangely enjoy the challenge
I use to do road bike competitions and its bit like hill climb racing

stonercanoe

Re: Boating up -river

Post by stonercanoe »

In North America they compete in poling competitions up stream in canoes. There is a world championships. If I remember correctly an aptly named Harry Rock was world champion several times.
Poling is really hard work and if you get it wrong, instantly wet. Good laugh in the summer with a couple of like minded mates !
Jason

jackp

Post by jackp »

That is interesting and have just checked out some videos but it doesn’t look that hard but does look as though it might give you back ache doing that for any length of time .looks like perhaps more technique required than just fitness for that one
Maybe though there should be some sort of kayak competition going upriver in a fast flow like who has best technique and fitness to get the furthest .would be interesting to watch

Jim

Post by Jim »

There is the Conwy Ascent every year (although I anticipate not this year).

Although a lot of people refer to WWR as 'down river racing' the Scottish WWR committee have been careful to make sure they never describe it as such because the popular Forth race is an up and back race, with a mass start in the upstream direction. This years race was before lock down, although due to extremely high water making the bridge turn unsafe it was changed to an upstream sprint and a downstream sprint over a much shorter course.

Also not exactly a race, Ravenglass Seaquest is canoe/kayak orienteering on the 3 rivers and estuary at Ravenglass. It is held over 3 hours including HW so you have to work out which order to paddle up the 3 rivers to visit the controls based not only on how fast the river current is, but what the strength and direction of the tide. A couple of times I have gone really quickly up the Esk on the tide and found it still flooding against me after I turned to head back down, which was not entirely my plan...

You would need to check the Performance Sea Kayak website for current information as the course has been varied a few times over the years, but the original Menai Challenge course included a loop around the bridges meaning you had to paddle the straight 3 times, twice with the flow, and once against it.

I'm sure it is not just UK either although I can't specifically think of any events elsewhere.

Jim

Post by Jim »

jackp wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:43 pm
That is interesting and have just checked out some videos but it doesn’t look that hard
Looks can be very deceptive!

I found it hurts when you fall on your own thwart a lot....

Franky

Post by Franky »

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the appeal of an activity which requires nothing but brute strength and the ability to eddy-hop on very easy water. I'd rather work on my technique and have ten times the fun paddling proper rapids downstream!

For anything above Grade 1, paddling upstream means using eddies, which isn't really paddling upstream at all. There's an upstream loop at HPP, which you can eddy-hop in order to re-run a wave train, but I wouldn't paddle it for the sake of it!

jackp

Post by jackp »

Of course this kind of hard workout won’t appeal to everyone but it’s good training For occasions where maybe you find yourself in a strong offshore wind and you need to get back to shore ASAP
A TV program I was recently watching ,saving lives at sea a few weeks ago a featured guy in a sea kayak race who got blown out 25miles off shore never to be saved despite best efforts.perhaps he was just too far from shore before he even realised what he was up against .anymore than 5 miles out and I think most would struggle to get back in with those conditions especially if they had already been paddling for a few hours

Jim

Post by Jim »

Paddling upstream is a good way to work on your technique. It is also a useful skill if you want to go paddling on your own without a shuttle.
My normal training circuit involves paddling upstream for 10-12 minutes, around a bridge and then downstream for 6-8 minutes (depending on the flow, wind and tide height), but I have variations where I paddle up for 20 or 30 minutes before turning, and others where I do boat control drills and stuff, but my core session is still an up and downstream circuit.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Conwy ascent does make use of the incoming tide.
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

SJD

Post by SJD »

When I was playing at racing canoe slalom during the late 80s-early 90s it was common to paddle upstream as part of training. If I remember correctly it was called attainment.