Info wanted on Blenheim Kayak

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
SuperPallie

Info wanted on Blenheim Kayak

Post by SuperPallie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:35 am

Hi there
I have recently bought an old secondhand ‘Blenheim’ boat. I’ve been searching t’internet but I can’t seem to find much info about this breed of boat.
I wondered if anybody has paddled one, owns one, knows much about them? Currently I am slower in this boat than my previous kayak, but wondering if this is because I’m just getting the hang of it.
Any info much appreciated.
Thanks

Chris Bolton

Re: Info wanted on Blenheim Kayak

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:05 pm

There's a previous thread here about getting used to a Blenheim, or not. Hope it helps.

SuperPallie

Post by SuperPallie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:18 pm

Thanks Chris, but when I click on that link it says the page can’t be found 🙁

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:46 pm

Sorry, my mistake, link fixed now.

Pam Bell

Post by Pam Bell » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:52 pm

What type of kayak were you paddling before?

SuperPallie

Post by SuperPallie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks, Chris.
Pam, I’m really not sure how to refer to my other kayak. VERY heavy, very stable, no rudder, no footrests, defined ‘V’ shape hull at front and rear, but flat underneath. A great tank of a boat, but surprisingly fast considering.
I was hoping I would be faster in the more ‘racey’ Blenheim.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:31 am

I think what you really need is an idea of how long your should stick with it to see if you are going to adapt?
I don't do flat water racing but across all racing disciplines, sea kayak racing, wildwater racing and even slalom, it is frequently recognised that only a few people can get comfortable enough in a theoretically fast (i.e. unstable) boat to be faster in it than a more stable one.

Planting the paddle effectively makes far more difference to how fast you can drive your boat than differences in wetted surface area. If you are thinking about staying upright as you prepare for the catch, you are probably going to compromise your rotation and have a weak catch. You kind of have to commit quite a lot of your weight to the catch knowing that you will derive support from the way the paddle kicks back, if you hit the water hard without weight on the paddle, the kick back will make you wobble away from paddle side, so if the boat doesn't give you confidence for a strong catch, you will end up with a catch that makes the feeling worse...

Pam Bell

Post by Pam Bell » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:24 am

Chris, it may be that you have developed a paddling style to suit your original kayak, which does not work with a boat like the Blenheim. If at all possible, a short session with a coach/instructor/leader etc with experience in the touring/racing disciplines would pay dividends. A local club may be able to help with that. Whereabouts do you live?

SuperPallie

Post by SuperPallie » Wed May 01, 2019 7:08 am

Thank you for your replies, everybody.
I agree that my old stable boat has allowed me to get away with bad paddling technique.
I’ve really started to improve in the Blenheim, and managed several decent sessions without ‘incident’. Then, last time I was out in it, I capsized seemingly out of nowhere. I think I was relaxing too much and getting complacent.
I’ll definitely stick with it, though, as I have had moments of real progress and enjoyment.