BoaterX - Have your say

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, Surf, etc.
Jim

BoaterX - Have your say

Post by Jim » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:12 pm

After many years of growing underground through independent events and alongside freestyle events, ICF finally noticed BoaterX and introduced their version of it to this years world cup series and the world championships. For some of you alarm bells will ring when you hear it is called Extreme Slalom or SlalomX.
This is what it looks like at the moment, you can find more on youtube, ICF film a most of their events.
For the world cups which are happening just now, check the live results on Sunday and you will find a video link, which will be live on Sunday.

BC chose to ignore the event for this year (so you won't see any British competitors) - to be honest the announcement came pretty close to the selection dates for the GB slalom and wildwater teams so there wasn't really much time to come up with a slection policy.

However; in the last few days the BC International Panel have released the draft slalom selection policy for 2018, the bit of interest is on page 5:
BC Canoe Slalom Junior U23 Senior Team Selection Policy wrote:Extreme Canoe Slalom:
For fair and transparent selection to Extreme Canoe Slalom events at World Cup and World Championships, the International Panel wish to hear your thoughts on how best to structure a selection policy that will enable the objective selection of a 2018 team.
The panel welcomes ideas from all parts of the paddling community for inclusion in this policy or as a stand alone British Canoeing policy.
The all important link to give that feedback

Closing date is midday 11th October 2017.

If you want to read the entire slalom policy (it is pretty baffling!) you can find it here

I would strongly urge anyone with an interest in BoaterX to respond to the consultation (looks like you can do it without answering questions about the slalom part of it), whether you have a good idea for how to select a future GB BoaterX team, or just want to tell BC to keep their hands off it.
Note that there is no lottery based funding available for non-olympic disciplines so any paddlers selected would have to fund themselves for training and to get to the events

It would also be good if people could make a list of existing BoaterX events both in the UK and abroad to show BC that they don't need to reinvent the wheel.
The ones I can think of are:
  • Hurley Classic (European Open this year)
  • Garry BoaterX
  • Grandtully BoaterX
  • Washburn Paddlefest BoaterX

Mark R

Re: BoaterX - Have your say

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:48 am

I note that a load of (several) freestyle paddlers have got themselves in a tizzy over this. As far as I can tell, their irritation boils down to, "Hey, we're cool and slalom isn't...how dare slalom cross over to our territory and make us less cool."

Given that the sum total of all committed slalom and freestyle paddlers in the UK is just a few hundred paddlers, they should probably get over this and work together.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:05 pm

Mark R wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:48 am
Given that the sum total of all committed slalom and freestyle paddlers in the UK is just a few hundred paddlers, they should probably get over this and work together.
I don't even think there is very much interest in it from British slalom paddlers, the percentage that paddle in multiple classes is pretty low as it is, the vast majority are either only interested in kayak, or concentrate mainly on kayak. Since C2 came out of the Olympics the number of serious crews has really crashed, although hopefully since C2 is in the selection policy for next year (world cups, world & european champs) there might be a resurgence. I really can't see many wanting to pick up BoaterX as a second class using heavy boats and with the possibility of picking up an injury in head to head racing, but contrary to popular belief slalom paddlers do paddle for fun so some probably will go for it.

The truth is the slalom community are struggling to put on enough high quality slalom races for all those who want to race, neither the committees nor the clubs really have any spare capacity to run BoaterX, I'm quite sure they will be happy to let the freestyle, or WWR, or a completely new committee take it on.
Which is why I think it is so important for established BoaterX racers to get involved in the consultation to make sure it ends up being done by people who are committed to it. I know some people have other viewpoints and don't want any BC or ICF invovlement, but it seems a bit late for that since ICF are already doing it.
This is a great opportunity if the right people are prepared to get hold of it.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:43 pm

Get your comments in before lunchtime tomorrow.