Beginner marathon races

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, Surf, etc.
mattstratford

Beginner marathon races

Post by mattstratford » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi.
As a beginner to kayaking (but a competitive swimmer so my fitness is OK) would I be out of my depth doing any Hasler races, or the Thameside, waterside series in a pyranha speeder?
Thanks.
Matt

PaulK1

Re: Beginner marathon races

Post by PaulK1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi,
Hasler races will be fine, its fairly common to see a variety of boats in Division 9 and the boat wont stop you being up near the front if your fitness / paddling is good (whereas youd suffer trying to race a faster race in the higher divisions). Also, having no portages in divs 7/8/9 means weight isn't too much of an issue.

Watersides and Thamesides are harder (longer races plus lots of portages) but there's no reason you couldn't do it, the boat will definitely be slower than what most people will use though.

I'd say try a Hasler race and get a feel for how quick you are compared to people.

And standard advice but if you can find a club near you then I'm sure they will be happy to advise/ coach etc

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:14 pm

Although I don't do marathon my advice is to just go for it.
Competition paddlers are all really friendly despite perceptions from outside and as long as your boat meets the max length and min weight rules (it will) they will have no problem with you joining in. You will almost certainly get some tips and probably find some people to train with for the future. And when you decide to upgrade from the speeder, you will probably find someone selling a suitable boat that they have finished with :)

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Oh right, I see from the for sale forum you are already looking to upgrade - a good way to find second hand boats is to go to competitions :)

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:16 pm

As a "novice" racer you'll start in Div 9 .... only 4 miles!

Gloucester Hasler is Sunday 1st October
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

mattstratford

Post by mattstratford » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Thanks very much for all the advice.
I will try to do the Gloucester race and let you know how I get on. (what's the worst that can happen?)
And yes I'm hoping to find something quicker should I get into it.

matthomas24

Post by matthomas24 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi, I started marathon about 18 months ago and would recommend looking for a club to paddle with. The advise you get from other paddlers is great and everyone is very welcoming of new paddlers. I even borrow club boats as I'm still working my way down the stabilities (have a stability 1/2 waiting at home for when I'm ready!). Almost anything goes in div 9 and you'll have a mix of new, social and junior paddlers so don't worry about being out of your depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk