Flat water slalom, longer boats better?

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, Surf, etc.
Conor Buckboy

Flat water slalom, longer boats better?

Post by Conor Buckboy » Fri May 05, 2017 1:04 pm

Done a few small amateur slalom events and now invited to Div 4, for the whitewater ones always end used a plastic training slalom. However for this next event myself and my friend have the option of using either the same old plastic boat, some of the hosting clubs newer slalom boats, or our own personal 4ft old school slalom boats like a Sanna extreme.
As its flat water obviously no risk of damaging a nice new boat, but I do wonder if my personal longer boat will be faster due to its extra length.
Thoughts?

Seedy Paddler

Re: Flat water slalom, longer boats better?

Post by Seedy Paddler » Fri May 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Nope the shorter new boats are faster, the old boat basically had length to meet regulations, they didn't conform to Naval Architecture to provide additional speed for the width/length ratio.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu May 11, 2017 12:44 am

Straight line the old boats might be a little faster, but around gates almost certainly not. The modern 3.5m boats handle better in lots of ways. If you have a chance, try paddling yours and a club one back to back to experience the difference for yourself. Thinking about it, I've only really compared old and new C1s, but would expect a similar step up in kayak design too - certainly my MEXXL is a lot different than I remember plastic Reflexes from 20 years ago.

Also - you don't need to be invited to division 4, these events are open to anyone, there is no pre-requirement for entering them, you don't even have to enter in advance but it helps the organiser if you can (if you are not a BC/SCA/CW/CANI member you can get day membership on the day). Please spread the word to others that they don't need to be invited to have a go at div 4 races - the more people join in the better.
Just be aware that if you do too well the top 1 in 5 get promoted and need to join their NGB and apply for a bib to continue racing in div 3, although if you just want to continue un-ranked there are sometimes Open races at division 2 events (which are often on the same course as div 3's and sometimes 4's anyway so it shouldn't be a massive step up, except there will sometimes be higher ranked paddlers using open races for extra practice). Which reminds me, I need to investigate if we can add an Open race to our div 2 event or if it needs to have been approved when the calendar was published.

Conor Buckboy

Post by Conor Buckboy » Thu May 18, 2017 10:21 pm

For the record came third with an old Prijon Sprite while my friend came fourth with the Sanna Extreme.
Both of us have been promoted to division 3.
I guess we now need to start shopping.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue May 23, 2017 10:41 pm

Good job!
You can use any boat up to div 1, you only need to shop when your old skool boats stop you progressing (but it will be nicer racing in more modern boats). I have seen a div 3 race won by a creek boat. Lots of second hand slalom boats around, you will usually find some for sale at races but there is a facebook page for slalom kit for sale, and ads on the slalom website. You might also be surprised that the lowest spec boats can be had from new for less than a playboat or creek boat (I'd recommend a second hand mid-spec boat though).

I have also recently learned that the information I gave above is slightly incorrect - it turns out any paddler who has never been ranked can enter any division 2 race as unranked, it does not need to be an open event. Also they don't have to apply for ranking afterwards, they can continue to enter division 2 races unranked if they prefer. Only div 2 though.
Any paddler unranked or ranked in any division can enter open races, there are far fewer of them on the calendar.

Dan Yates.

Post by Dan Yates. » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:51 pm

I have a pretty good condition 4m slalom boat for sale if you want. Made just before the regs changed so the most modern design of 4m boat you can get if that makes sense. Top construction. £100 , no offers , big cut for 80-90kg , collection from Betws y Coed.
annamullard@hotmail.com