WANTED COURSE: instructor training/leadership

Commercial services
jackmyster

WANTED COURSE: instructor training/leadership

Post by jackmyster »

Hi there,

My freind and I, are looking to get some instructor qualifications for kayaking. We are 17 years of age and have been instructing kayaking for 3 years, leading in the French alps on grade 3/4 rivers and throughtout the UK. However we have no BCU qualifiactions and are unsure of where to start. We are based in cambridge and have all our own gear. We are looking to hire/ pass our 3* and 4*. we have been told by Lee Valley instructors and other instructors that we would pass with ease, so we are looking to get the qualifactions.

If anyone has any advice, or has any courses, please let me know. My email is- jack.miers@msn.com- however if you reply on here you will get a faster answer.

Regards,
Jack Miers

enjoyer

Re: WANTED COURSE: instructor training/leadership

Post by enjoyer »

For clarification, to LEAD on grade 3 with WW kayaks you need:
4 Star WW - a leadership award

However if you want to COACH (i.e. instruct) you also need:
UKCC Level 2 (L2) - a coaching award
Moderate Water Endorsement - effectively linking 4 star and L2 to enable you to coach on Grade 3 water.

(The UKCC L2 requires you to be equally proficient in Open Canoe and Kayak).

Are you simply looking for a leadership award i.e. 4 star? (You haven't explained why you want it and your reference to Instructor/ Leadership is ambiguous?).

If you haven't already joined one, have you considered joining a local club? They would welcome paddlers with your experience and would also give practical advice on how to get through the BCU hoops as fast as possible.

Does this clarification help?

jackmyster

Post by jackmyster »

hi there,

Cheers for the info! thats cleared a few things up! I think i'd be looking to primarily lead on whitewater, rather than coach. So i'l look into the UKCC level 2 coaching award. How much does all this cost? the UKCC award and the 4*?

cheers,

fluid combinations

Post by fluid combinations »

Hi guys

If your interested in doing your 4 satr training you should check this out

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 12&t=96354

cheers

Andy

enjoyer

Post by enjoyer »

Cost varies and depends on provider, however for budget purposes :

4 star training: £140 - 180
4 star assessment: £140 - 180

UKCC L2 training: £180 - 250
UKCC L2 assessment: £ 90 -100

MWE total cost in region of £250 - 300 for training and assessment.

You should be able to get subsidies. (Try a local club for help!). Of course, you may get cheaper by shopping around.

Above estimates do not cover pre-requisites (don't under estimate these).

Finally, my previous comment about being equally proficient in open canoe and kayak means 3 star standard in each discipline.

janet brown

Post by janet brown »

.... and in order to do UKCC L2 you need to start at L1. Hence 2* will be required (kayak and canoe), also FSRT.

Janet

ijd201

Post by ijd201 »

enjoyer: "to LEAD on grade 3 with WW kayaks you need: 4 Star WW - a leadership award"

Sorry to be a pedant, but if you want to lead on grade 3 you will need 5 star.
The remit of the new 4 star is leading competent paddlers (3 star ability) down grade 2 water only.

If you are looking to coach on white water, perhaps UKCC Level 2, 4 star and then the additional Moderate Water Endorsement would suit you, however, this would only qualify you to coach on grade 2(3). i.e. grade 2 with an isolated grade 3 rapid (as long as the group is in white water spec kayaks)

If, however, you are looking to lead on water up to grade 4(5) then you will need 5 star leader award or to coach on water up to the same grade UKCC level 2 + 5 star + Advanced Water Endorsement.

Information on all of the current BCU awards as well as a syllabus for each award.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

C.I.W.W

Post by C.I.W.W »

We have a range of courses running year round based in south wales, star awards, safety courses and coaching awards. Dates & prices are available on the website: http://www.ciww.com/content.asp?nav=3,1 ... ctory_id=1

We are just starting to update our website with 2013 dates but if need them sooner rather than later then get in touch: jcaterer@cardiff.gov.uk or call 02920 829970 and ask for JC.

enjoyer

Post by enjoyer »

ijd201 wrote:
Sorry to be a pedant, but if you want to lead on grade 3 you will need 5 star.
The remit of the new 4 star is leading competent paddlers (3 star ability) down grade 2 water only.
The OP seemed to need more basic guidance than the detail of the 4 star WW remit.

4 Star Leader - White Water
Successful performance at this level indicates that you have the skill level required to lead a group of 4 competent* paddlers in appropriate locations, up to "moderate conditions" (for white water this is grade 2 with some elements of grade 3).

Overall, I was trying to summarise a fairly complex subject and still feel that I hit the relevant points as they directly relate to the original question. I certainly didn't mean to confuse in the process.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

Please be aware, that the update of 4 & 5 Star coming down the line are a more guiding qualification in terms of leadership. Where the candidate will evaluate the other paddlers in their group, as to where they will paddle. It's certainly a more formal leadership role, and a step change from the current BCU leadership awards.

janet brown

Post by janet brown »

Simon Westgarth wrote:Please be aware, that the update of 4 & 5 Star coming down the line are a more guiding qualification in terms of leadership. Where the candidate will evaluate the other paddlers in their group, as to where they will paddle. It's certainly a more formal leadership role, and a step change from the current BCU leadership awards.
So are they still going to be called 4 star (and 5 star)? How do you know which award someone has taken? The old 4 star, the new 4 star or the new, new 4 star? There already appears to have been some morphing of the new 4 star since it came into existence, making it a considerably harder award now than when it was first introduced.

Not that I am interested, but know people who have taken this award!
Janet

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

janet brown wrote:
Simon Westgarth wrote:Please be aware, that the update of 4 & 5 Star coming down the line are a more guiding qualification in terms of leadership. Where the candidate will evaluate the other paddlers in their group, as to where they will paddle. It's certainly a more formal leadership role, and a step change from the current BCU leadership awards.
So are they still going to be called 4 star (and 5 star)? How do you know which award someone has taken? The old 4 star, the new 4 star or the new, new 4 star? There already appears to have been some morphing of the new 4 star since it came into existence, making it a considerably harder award now than when it was first introduced.

Not that I am interested, but know people who have taken this award!
Janet
Your point is not gone a midst. From my point of view, I think the Star awards, should have the leadership element ripped out and opened up and marketed at the youth. Guiding is guiding, so have a guiding qualification. As to personal proficiency awards of competence for adults, yes for sure use the same syllabi as the revised Star awards, but branded for the older crowd, such as WW Paddler Award & Advanced WW Paddler Award as the equivalent to the (non leadership) 4 & 5 Star Youth awards.

But to be honest an integrated, accessible online database is a better objective at this time.

Return to “Courses, Trips and Guiding”