Arun Gorges - Nepal - 27th Mar to 11th Apr 2015

Commercial services
Mark Coleman

Arun Gorges - Nepal - 27th Mar to 11th Apr 2015

Post by Mark Coleman »

Hi All,

Ram Bhandari is leading an expedition to raft and kayak the Arun Gorges this Spring and we need 4 or 5 more experienced* rafters and kayakers. If interested in joining us on what is likely to be a 'once in a lifetime' adventure please send me a PM, or come and talk to me at LVWWC - I am there most days, ask for me at reception.

* You should be happy on G4/5 big volume white water.

There is the option for those with less/little experience to join us at Tumlingtar, once we are out of the gorges, for the adventure down to the Sun Kosi and to the take out at Chatra.

Plus there is the option of staying on longer in Nepal to kayak/raft other rivers or just chill out/trek etc.

The Arun gorges are paddled in a kayak by a handful of people each year and are not rafted commercially. To Ram’s knowledge they have only been rafted in a Russian Bublick – strange craft that will survive just about anything - and believe that this could be a first descent of some if not all sections in a paddle raft. Ram is our expedition leader and was part of the team that did the first(?) descent of the Arun Gorges in 2000 and since then has wanted to organise his own expedition to do again. I’ve done 2 expeditions with Ram (Tibet to India – Sun Kosi – 2011 and the Upper Tamur- 2013) and can highly recommend him and his team – we will be well looked after.

Cheers,

Mark
Adventures on water, mountains & two wheels.

Mark Coleman

Re: Arun Gorges - Nepal - 27th Mar to 11th Apr 2015

Post by Mark Coleman »

Hi All,

2 or 3 spaces left for experienced rafter and kayakers for the gorges, plus plenty of room for less/no experience people to join the expedition at Tumlingtar.

Team is coming together nicely - intrested? - drop me a PM or come and talk to me at LVWWC... I am there most days... ask at reception.

Cheers,

Mark
Adventures on water, mountains & two wheels.

callum s

Re: Arun Gorges - Nepal - 27th Mar to 11th Apr 2015

Post by callum s »

I got back from doing the First Raft Descent of the Upper Arun Gorges just 2 weeks ago
Hey Mark,

I don't like to be a spoil sport but I think the age old rule of expedition whitewater exploration applies: You can never claim a first descent with 100% certainty as you can never be entirely sure a group of Russians didn't do it in homemade kit during the 80's...

I know for certain that one Russian group paddled the Arun Gorges in a mixture of catamaran and bublik rafts and would be surprised if they were the only ones, Russians have been visiting Nepal for kayaking and rafting for years. From what I understand they may also be the only group to complete the river without a portage Madness! I know this as I paddled with Russian kayak legend Vasily Porsev who was one of the kayakers - he made a deal with one of the rafters to paddle the giant portage rapid in a bublik raft in return for a flight to the Zambezi. He never got his flight but he did survive the rapid.

I don't mean to belittle your achievement just inform you further about this amazing river and its history! I kayaked the Arun Gorges this year in January and it is indeed a stunning, serious and solid piece of river - fair play for rafting it, well done!

Hope your talk goes well!
Callum

Return to “Courses, Trips and Guiding”