Repairing an Old Town Discovery

One blade only
steddyjames

Repairing an Old Town Discovery

Post by steddyjames » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:39 am

Soooo, my Old Town Discovery has a 2" split in the front. Any idea the best (ie. simplest) way to reparir it? It's only the outer layer, no visible damage on the inside.

Cheers
SJ

Three Coats

Re: Repairing an Old Town Discovery

Post by Three Coats » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Easiest solution is to fit some kevlar skid plates...if you managed to put a split in a tank like a Disco sounds like you need to do that job anyway! Might be worth drilling the ends of the crack to stop it spreading though.
Song of the Paddle has loads of step by step info for repairs/skid plates etc.

Hope that helps...
TC

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:22 pm

The slit is half way up the bow of the boat so skid plates wouldn't protect it. It is out of water when on flat water so won't be exposed to repeated scraping on river beds or anything.

I'll check out song of the paddle, Google has failed me on finding anything about repairing old towns.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:08 pm

The main problem here is that the boat is polyethylene sandwich so you have two layers of plastic separated by a foam core. Most products will not stick to this plastic although I guess a good sized piece of kevlar would stay on with epoxy. At the recent sea symposium, Jason Buxton was doing a little demo on repairs and included plastic welding. I am sure he said that it was possible to weld the sandwich, you just need to be very careful since the layers are quite thin.

If I were you I would take it to your local canoe shop who do plastic welding. I am sure they would be better than your experimentation.

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi,

I have an Old Town Charles River, I have polylink 3 layer foam sandwich plastic as the hull material. I heated a screw driver and slowly spread a gouge back on the other day. It was a about 3mm deep so not through the outer layer.

These are detailed instructions for your repair.
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/pdfs/Discov ... ir_Kit.pdf

Which linked from here
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/product_sup ... nuals.html

Nick

shanclan

Post by shanclan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:23 am

The experts will come back with the right answer. As a bodger, I repaired a Discovery with Araldyte and a bit of nail varnish to colour match it. It has stood up well for myself and the new owner.

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Sounds like I'll just take it to a canoe shop that does repairs. I guess the gaffer tape that's on there at the mo will have to do for a while longer.

coblake

Post by coblake » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:08 pm

Hello all,

In regards to most things canoe, I would be remiss to fail to point you to:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/for ... 528f432f05

I don't know why that didn't show up as a link.

That forum is populated by men and women who cannot afford to have their equipment fail in any conditions. In fact, it is the most brutally honest place to find answers about every type of canoe material and "fix" there is. Royalex welding included. I know the audience I am referring to this forum may not agree with hunting, so be for warned. Also, there are some "non purest" guys who run motors! :0 However, these guys are really nice (they are CANOE guys) and extremely knowledgeable.

I'm still waiting on the moderators to accept me, so take this with a grain of salt. -Chris

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:12 pm

coblake wrote:I don't know why that didn't show up as a link.
I'm still waiting on the moderators to accept me
I don't think you can post links until you've made 5 posts - to deter spammers. I guess a moderator has seen the url you posted and, since it's not spam, converted it. I don't know what you mean about the moderators accepting you?

Chris