OC1s on the Tryweryn.

One blade only
KelvinH

OC1s on the Tryweryn.

Post by KelvinH »

Hi Folks,

Bob (Zoom) and myself having a quick blast down the Tryweryn.

Hope you enjoy,

Kelvin.

Sickboy

Re: OC1s on the Tryweryn.

Post by Sickboy »

Great stuff indeed. keep them coming, theres not enough UK oc1 vids around........shame
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n »

Hey Kelvin, I think it must have been you who rescued my friend on the tryweryn a little while back.(April Time) she got pinned on rr in the eddyhopping section. You were in the same eddy and she held onto your boat whilst another member climbed out and sorted her out. Sound familiar?

Great video to!

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

Neither of the boats looked particularly open to me! Maybe they should be called CC1s

KelvinH

Post by KelvinH »

Dave,

We've put Bob's boat into the COC1 (closed open canoe for one) category! As for the Taureau, yes it's a bit of a C1/OC1 hybrid but it is open and it doesn't handle too good when swamped. Looking forward to getting my hands on canoe that looks like a canoe and not an R.N.L.I. rescue device!

Take it easy,

Kelvin.

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

:-)

geordiepaddler

Post by geordiepaddler »

I took my outrage down a while back , got some funny looks from all the playboaters in their sweet helmets !,
great fun

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

KelvinH wrote:Looking forward to getting my hands on canoe that looks like a canoe and not an R.N.L.I. rescue device!
What became of the zoom?
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

geordiepaddler wrote:I took my outrage down a while back , got some funny looks from all the playboaters
When I took my Legend down, got to the cafe eddy and all the playboaters complained about the size of the boat but insisted on hanging on to the gunwales which made it a bit tricky to get out of their way.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

I've taken my Prospector down a few times now, but there are a couple of eddies that I'm still struggling with. I've never had any comments from playboaters when messing about at Cafe Wave, although admittedly I wasn't exactly hogging the wave.

funkidreadz

Post by funkidreadz »

@Kelvin
If you are not enjoying your Taureau when it has water in it try NevaFull it is the cure for all your woes!
Paddle safe
James

twopigs

Post by twopigs »

funkidreadz wrote:@Kelvin
If you are not enjoying your Taureau when it has water in it try NevaFull it is the cure for all your woes!
Paddle safe
James
Interesting! Counter-intuitive!
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

funkidreadz

Post by funkidreadz »

twopigs wrote:Counter-intuitive!
Why? Most rafts have had self bailing holes in the floor for the last 20years or so. NevaFull is just smart, water comes in the big hole in the top, so I drill holes in the side to let it out!
Paddle safe
James

MarkV

Post by MarkV »

That is a wind up aint it. My science aint up to much but if you drill big holes in the hull just above the waterline of a dry boat wont they be under that line in a swamped one and therefore unable to empty?

KelvinH

Post by KelvinH »

James,

Looked at that the other day on your blogg! I'm fussy about an inch of water in my boat and can run a lot of rapids totally dry. I guess never NevaFull, but NevaDry either! Each to there own I think here...

Kelvin.

funkidreadz

Post by funkidreadz »

MarkV wrote:That is a wind up aint it. My science aint up to much but if you drill big holes in the hull just above the waterline of a dry boat wont they be under that line in a swamped one and therefore unable to empty?
No wind up fella and you're right, science is complicated...When the canoe is full of water the holes are underwater BUT Gravity pushes on the water in the canoe and pushes it out of the holes, as the water flows out of the holes the boat floats higher in the water because it is lighter and the holes float up above the the waterline. Many watercraft, rafts, sailing boats and big fishing boats have drain holes to let water escape.
@Kelvin a lot of rapids I run have no dry lines so I need to get the water out that inevitably splashes in, sometimes stopping and dumping is also no option. I was left with 2 plans, get a pump but I am not to hot with electrics and would probably forget to charge the batteries OR use Gravity, it's free, environmentally friendly and always present.
I would rather paddle a boat that has always a little, about 10litres or 10KGs, extra weight than one that is sometimes empty and often full when I running the hardest lines.
But as you so rightly say my friend each to their own!
Paddle safe
James
PS
I will be in England with a demo L'Edge next week if anybody is interested

twopigs

Post by twopigs »

funkidreadz wrote:
MarkV wrote:That is a wind up aint it. My science aint up to much but if you drill big holes in the hull just above the waterline of a dry boat wont they be under that line in a swamped one and therefore unable to empty?
No wind up fella and you're right, science is complicated...When the canoe is full of water the holes are underwater BUT Gravity pushes on the water in the canoe and pushes it out of the holes, as the water flows out of the holes the boat floats higher in the water because it is lighter and the holes float up above the the waterline. Many watercraft, rafts, sailing boats and big fishing boats have drain holes to let water escape.
On the other hand gravity pushes (sic) on the water in the river and pushes it through the holes into the canoe......

I guess James is talking Swiss science here - but I'll give it a go in the lab and report back!
funkidreadz wrote:I will be in England with a demo L'Edge next week if anybody is interested
Where you going to be James? Bala for the OC Symposium?
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

twopigs wrote:On the other hand gravity pushes (sic) on the water in the river and pushes it through the holes into the canoe......
I don't think James is suggesting that you will end up with an empty (dry) boat. The water inside will equalize with the water outside. Provided you have plenty of airbags and other buoyancy, the actual volume of water will not be great but you will not need to do any physical emptying since the holes make the boat 'self-bailing'.

It would work on a bigger boat but it would need to have plenty of buoyancy.

madman iaink

Post by madman iaink »

just adding on from oc1's this is a mixture of oc1's and a few others on the tryweryn on the sunday.
[/url]

quicky

Post by quicky »

Great Video, How did you get the depression in the right side of big blue?

MountainDaze

Post by MountainDaze »

quicky wrote:Great Video, How did you get the depression in the right side of big blue?
It is a design feature (http://www.esquif.com/2008/canot_en.php?id=12), if you look it has a matching one on the other side as well.

quicky

Post by quicky »

ah that explains it cheers. he he Stylish canadians. (says the guy in the huge Explorer 16TT)

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

quicky wrote:ah that explains it cheers. he he Stylish canadians. (says the guy in the huge Explorer 16TT)
The idea is to let you get your hand in closer to the hull when doing stern pry's, which is apparently useful when surfing Massive Canadian waves...
They originally came without them, then with round dimples and now with tear-drop shaped dimples.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

quicky

Post by quicky »

Sound cool,
I have indents like that but usually due to hitting things. :)