River Borgie, inthe far far North of Scotland

One blade only
darbinotley

River Borgie, inthe far far North of Scotland

Post by darbinotley »

Has anyone ever paddled this in a canoe? I'm not the kind of person to post a 'what's it like' subject, but given how far this is away, I can't really pop up to have a look. It flows north out of Loch Loyal, and alas is not easy to inspect as it's nowhere near a road for much of it. As it's fed by a large loch I guess it should OK. The gradient doesn't look too steep as I' just after a gentle pootle. However, if it is a really shallow boulder strewn stream, can someone let me know please!

cheers for any help you can give.

darbinotley

Re: River Borgie, inthe far far North of Scotland

Post by darbinotley »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is really the many many weirs that I wanted a bit of advice about. i.e are they little slide over things, one man-eating drops of doom? There always appears from google to be one set of falls that look interesting, although I suspect easily portaged.

Ta

naefearjustbeer

Re: River Borgie, inthe far far North of Scotland

Post by naefearjustbeer »

Hi I fished the River Borgie many years ago and I remember seeing a falls that would definantly require portage. There were also several small weirs built I believe to form pools for fishing. I dont think any of those would cause any problem unless in very high water. As for height of water required to paddle I am not sure I can give any advice on it as I only fished it once about 20 years ago. However if it did turn out to be too shallow and boulder strewn I am sure the nearby River Naver would provide a nice paddle. It doesnt have any major rapids on it from what I have been told. A couple of white water kayakers told me it mostly flat and not worth visiting if you are looking for white water action.