Suicide strap - lap strap - lap belt

One blade only
TechnoEngineer

Suicide strap - lap strap - lap belt

Post by TechnoEngineer »

I believe that, as part of outfitting a canoe for whitewater, so-called "suicide straps" are used to hold yourself in (a strap across the waist?)

Could anyone recommend any such products, and what other descriptions are used for them? (can't imagine finding a bag marked "suicide strap" on a shop shelf).

The intended application is to make it harder to fall off a SOT (thigh straps alone aren't enough).

Cheers
Last edited by TechnoEngineer on Fri May 22, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

Adrian Cooper

Re: Suicide straps

Post by Adrian Cooper »

The usual outfitting is a pair of thigh straps which it sounds as if you already have. If you want a lap strap, you might have to invent one yourself. If you can find a chest harness from an old BA, that should do the trick because it will have a QR buckle already built in. You just need to attach some loops to the SOT.

TechnoEngineer

Re: Suicide straps

Post by TechnoEngineer »

OK found these, but still looking for other options:

http://atlantic-kayaks.co.uk/Buy-Kayaks ... ducts.html

http://www.solamanzi.com/store_wse.htm

I think I've also seen a velcro-type arrangement on some wave skis.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

Mission

Re: Suicide strap - lap strap - lap belt

Post by Mission »

I use aeroplane seatbelt buckles on my quick releases.

They work pretty well, absolutely bombproof and are unlikely to jam. Easily picked up off ebay for very little too.

water_mad

Re: Suicide strap - lap strap - lap belt

Post by water_mad »

Can be made out of snowboard ankle bindings. A bloke called Lee at robinhood watersports (he is the snowboard man) will sell you a set for £15 + p&p, they arent on the website so you have to phone up

I brought quick release straps (called diving weight belts) off of ebay for less than a fiver, The bindings are fixed at the top and the ratchets used to tighten them up. The quick release is at the bottom so you can pull it should all go wrong.