Canoeing in Norway - any recommendations?

One blade only
Pollyboating

Canoeing in Norway - any recommendations?

Post by Pollyboating »

Kia ora

We have a family wedding in Norway this July... excellent opportunity to do some whitewater kayaking! We would also like to do some canoeing with our five year old and another family who would pop over and join us from the UK.

Any recommendations for a 5-6 day canoe trip in Norway? Class two is great. Some class three would be ok if it's easy to portage the harder rapids, we don't want too much gradient.

To help understand what is normal for us - we have canoed the Clarence and Whanganui rivers in New Zealand and the Dordogne and the Tarn rivers in France. While we are happy to cross a lake, lake canoeing isn't all that thrilling (and it's hard work in an inflatable).

We can bring our inflatable over with us, and would look to hire one canoe locally.

Any hot tips very gratefully appreciated!

Polly

jmmoxon

Re: Canoeing in Norway - any recommendations?

Post by jmmoxon »

As they are glacially formed many rivers in Norway seem to have sections of gr1 & of gr6. Sweden has much more scope for multi day easy runs - so depends where in the country the wedding is...

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey »

Hi Polly. Guessing its you we met on the Tarn at La Blaquiere in June '18? (with MarkL & the northern Irish lads).

As Mike says, Norway tends to the steep, so there don't seem to be so many canoe camping trips. Sweden has more, some of which are right on the border, so it does depends where you are.

I've vaguely looked at the Klaralven, which runs down the Norwegian side of the border. Mostly looked low grade moving water, but haven't investigated it.

The one thing I've done is Rogen to Roros (so Sweden to Norway), but that was a 12 day trip. If you're within shouting distance, Rogen's lakes are far from dull, if you don't mind some portaging between them. We finished down the Roa River. Here for Rogen: https://joom.ag/JmML/p84 and river part here: https://joom.ag/a1OL/p94

Mal

Pollyboating

Post by Pollyboating »

Awesome advice. Many thanks. Yes I’m the same Polly! Love your write up of that trip... it does sound excellent. I am realising we may need to go to Sweden. That sounds good - I’ve not been there.
Polly

SteamBear17

Post by SteamBear17 »

I'd recommend you to visit Folgefonna. It's such beautiful place! This magnificent national park centers on Norway’s third largest glacier, an imposing wall of blue ice flowing down into Hardangerfjord. Though many visitors choose to strap on crampons and wield ice axes and ropes to conquer the glacier by foot, it is arguably even more impressive from the water. Luckily, there are several tour companies that offer both.