Which Scottish river?

One blade only
Potatohead44

Which Scottish river?

Post by Potatohead44 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:44 pm

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is doing well.

Me and a bunch of mates just returned from a multi day trip canoeing the Wye. We all had a great time just wish there was more/some fast water. We want to step up and tackle a river in Scotland over 4/5 days with wild camping. Ideally we want a river that will challenge us without being too difficult and dangerous for relative beginners. I'm looking at the Spey, Tay, Etive or Fairhorn, does anyone have any recommendations? The Etive looks a bit too difficult if I'm honest.

We are all in our 30s and relatively fit so don't mind putting in hard work.

Thanks in advance
Potatohead

Chris Bolton

Re: Which Scottish river?

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue May 21, 2019 9:26 pm

The Spey or the Tweed would probably suit you. The Spey is probably wilder and the Tweed has some weirs rather than just natural rapids. The Tay wouldn't give you more than a couple of days without including the Loch as well, and you don't want flat water. The Findhorn (and the Royal Dee) would need more experience. Th Etive is kayak day-paddle territory, too technical for open touring canoes and not long enough to need an overnight.

Potatohead44

Post by Potatohead44 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:03 am

Ok great, thanks for your response.

The Spey look a better trip I think, should be more our level.

Thanks again

banzer

Post by banzer » Wed May 22, 2019 1:52 pm

Spey should fit the bill nicely.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey » Wed May 22, 2019 7:11 pm

Another vote for the Spey; http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoint ... iverId=193

Starting at Newtonmore gives you some easy paddling for the first day or so, though can be short of water. Some folk think this bit is a drag, but it can hardly be boring being in such wonderful country. From Grantown, the speed and grade increases a little (We just did here to the sea: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... the-Summer). The hardest rapids, in normal conditions, are around grade 2, the main ones being where the A'an comes in, the "Washing Machine" at Blacksboat, and Knockando. Wild camping is simple enough, as long as folk are responsible of course.

Etive isn't a touring river, nor long enough. Tay has some good challenging rapids, but less wild feel. Findhorn a step up and needs an experience paddlers, and has a bit that won't be passable in open canoes.