New looking for advice

One blade only
Gkb1326

New looking for advice

Post by Gkb1326 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi,

I would be very grateful to hear from anyone with experience who would be happy to advise. My wife and I have completed a couple of river trips on a hired open top canoe. We have now decided to buy our own but not sure on what, it would be between the open top canoe or sit on kayak, looking at mostly Rivers to start with. I have looked online but still not sure where to start.

Thanks

Gary

Mal Grey

Re: New looking for advice

Post by Mal Grey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:52 pm

When you say "rivers" do you mean quiet slow moving water, or faster moving/white water?

Open canoes bring peace, tranquility and a large capacity for carrying things like camping gear. Most are tandems. They're quite expensive, but hold their value very well and last for years. Superb for expeditions, can be taken down moderate whitewater with experience, a true all rounder. Might be quite heavy at starter price points.
Sit on tops are easy to use, better if you ever fancied basic coastal paddling (or anything else with waves), but are generally a wetter, splashier solution. There are tandems or you could get two solos for the price of starter open canoes.

Inland I'd chose the open every time, but then I am somewhat obsessed by the things....

Song of the Paddle is the place for open canoe info: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/forum.php. Ask questions there, look at reviews, and be inspired by blogs.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Good advice is to join your local club. They will probably have a range of canoes and kayaks for hire by members and "try before you buy" must always be worthwhile.

Gkb1326

Post by Gkb1326 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:33 am

Mal Grey wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:52 pm
When you say "rivers" do you mean quiet slow moving water, or faster moving/white water?

Open canoes bring peace, tranquility and a large capacity for carrying things like camping gear. Most are tandems. They're quite expensive, but hold their value very well and last for years. Superb for expeditions, can be taken down moderate whitewater with experience, a true all rounder. Might be quite heavy at starter price points.
Sit on tops are easy to use, better if you ever fancied basic coastal paddling (or anything else with waves), but are generally a wetter, splashier solution. There are tandems or you could get two solos for the price of starter open canoes.

Inland I'd chose the open every time, but then I am somewhat obsessed by the things....

Song of the Paddle is the place for open canoe info: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/forum.php. Ask questions there, look at reviews, and be inspired by blogs.
Hi,

Thank-you very much for the information, I think we have definitely decided on the open canoe. We have only been on the River Wye and some Thames. Next is to choose one to buy, it will more than likely be second hand.

Gary

Gkb1326

Post by Gkb1326 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:34 am

DaveB wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:56 pm
Good advice is to join your local club. They will probably have a range of canoes and kayaks for hire by members and "try before you buy" must always be worthwhile.
Hi,

Will do that, Thank-you very much

Gary