Cannoing route near Worcester/gloucestershire

One blade only
Adamson52

Cannoing route near Worcester/gloucestershire

Post by Adamson52 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi,
I have recently purchased my first canoe and am looking at doing a 2 day trip with my partner. We have paddles some of the Avon and Severn already however does anybody have any recommendations for a pleasant two day route around the gloucestershire/Worcestershire sort of area?
Ideally we would like to go in one direction and get picked up at the end (by family) rather then paddling back on ourselves.
Thanks all for your help.
Chris

DaveB

Re: Cannoing route near Worcester/gloucestershire

Post by DaveB » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:35 pm

the obvious answer is a trip down the severn from shropshire towards your home area. google severn canoeist guide for an excellent guide book. plan to portage shrewsbury weir and jackfield rapid if you are novices paddling unaccompanied .

Adamson52

Post by Adamson52 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Thank you for your response. I have been looking at the river Avon from pershore onto the Severn? Iv also noted that the Severn is rather tidal. Would this be something that makes a significant difference during the summer time?

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:51 pm

I cannot comment on the avon, beyond my knowledge.
Assume that if you are on tidal water that tide planning will always be essential to both your pleasure and your safety. Especially on the tidal Severn-are you aware of the severn bore and how/why it works?
But the tide as i understand it does not come above Upper PArting so you should have no such issues if you finish your trip there or higher.