Advice canoe river trip

One blade only
MattC90

Advice canoe river trip

Post by MattC90 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi all,

Was hoping for some advice. Currently planning a canoe trip with 3 other friends. Looking for a river perhaps in scotland or elsewhere in europe that will provide a nice wild trip for at least 5 days and hopefully with a few grade 2 sections to keep things exciting. Ideally good wild camping spots and not too busy. Thinking deliverance without the trauma. We are all comfortable open boating at this grade and are looking to hire boats ideally with a shuttle at the start and end. Has anyone got any recommendations? Currently looking at the river spey, and also sweden/finland but this seems to be more lakes than rivers.

Cheers,

Matt

Chris Bolton

Re: Advice canoe river trip

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Have a look at http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... in-Finland - the Jogunjoki may be the kind of thing you're looking for. I suggest asking the question on the main forum there. Availability of boats to hire might be a question in Finland.

A 5 day trip in Scotland without some lakes or portages, or very short days, may be stretching it but depending where you start, the Spey, the Dee or the Tweed might work. We spent 4 days on the Tweed.

MattC90

Post by MattC90 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Great thanks for the info, will have a look!

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Just back from 3.5 days on the Spey, you could defintely stretch it out to 5 days at low water if you prefer more of a bimble - we set a pretty good pace the whole way. I think in high water you might struggle not to go too fast though.

I don't think you could stretch Tay to 5 days without adding in some lochs and/or portages (e.g. start on the Dochart or Tummel)

Jay Oram

Post by Jay Oram » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:38 pm

Just pick up a map of Scotland and throw a dart at it!

You can make the Spey a 5 day trip, the Great Glen Canoe trail can be done via rivers, The Tay if you include Loch Tay. You could probably find a route along most watersheds?

I've been looking at Sweden and Finland for a while now - will check out the Song of the paddle link from Chris Bolton.
Jay