Overnight trip on the Wye

One blade only
flashollie

Overnight trip on the Wye

Post by flashollie » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:38 am

Hi All

I usually frequent the whitewater forum as I've been kayaking for many years but I'm looking for advice on the one blade style for a more sedate trip to get the kids interested.
I'd like to take my family and the in laws on an overnight trip on the Wye in Mid June. 4 adults and 3 kids 10 to 12 years.

I'm after recommendations for a 2 day trip with start and finish points, a hire company and a campsite for one night as I understand there's a couple that are not so nice. We have all our own camping kit it's just boats and paddling gear and a shuttle we are after.

Many thanks

Marcus

arguer

Re: Overnight trip on the Wye

Post by arguer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Youth Hostel at Welsh Bicknor is a good overnight stop for a slow 2 day trip from Ross to Monmouth. They have a campsite too but obvouisly you have to then carry tents and equipment etc. Much easier and more comfortable to get a room, they also do food.

We've used Ross on Wye canoe hire (based in Symonds Yat West) before and they include boats, kit, waterproof barrels and a shuttle to and from start and finish.

flashollie

Post by flashollie » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks for this. I think the kids have their hearts set on on camping......I'll check out the YH at Welsh Bicknor.

Would Ross to Monmouth take in the best of the scenery?

seanyshortlegs

Post by seanyshortlegs » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:50 pm

Hi
I dont like the fact that you cant apparrently pm people any longer so please email me at (email deleted). I can help you with this

flashollie

Post by flashollie » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:47 pm

Thanks. Email sent.

seanyshortlegs

Post by seanyshortlegs » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 pm

Nothing received in hotmail?

flashollie

Post by flashollie » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:31 pm

That's odd. Can you confirm email address as I have sent it to what's written above?
Is it .com. as usually it's just .com ?

Thanks

flashollie

Post by flashollie » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:32 pm

Or has it gone to spam box....?

arguer

Post by arguer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:00 pm

In my view the Ross to Monmouth part has the best and certainly at some points impressive scenery. It's also probably the most popular section with the hire companies and access to and from the river is easy. We've done it as a club trip trip several times and it's always been a success.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:13 pm

I dont like the fact that you cant apparrently pm people any longer
You can still PM, it's just not as obvious. Click the 'contact' icon below the name and it gives a choice of all the contact options the member has given, such as PM, email or (for some users) website.

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:34 pm

My favourite section is Hay to Hereford. Moderately long days, but you can do this using the fantastic Byecross Farm campsite to overnight, one of the nicest little campsites in England, set in an orchard above the river, with fires pretty much compulsory. To shorten the trip, you could put in at Whitney Toll bridge campsite, though likely to have to pay a launch fee there to get access to the water with your own boats. Hire companies tend to work from the nearby Boat Inn, another option. You can camp there too. The views are still lovely, though not as spectacular as the valley at Symonds Yat, but its a bit quieter, and there are more little (easy) riffles and things in medium to low water, than on the lower sections.

no-no

Post by no-no » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:05 pm

The Welsh Bicknor Hostel is great, you can camp there as well if you want to . They also have an archery range which went down pretty well with my kids.