New Prospector on the way!

One blade only
Mike Ryder Coaching

New Prospector on the way!

Post by Mike Ryder Coaching » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:34 am

Morning Folks

Theres some exciting news here for you all as there is a brand new, british designed and built Prospector very very close to being available!

It's made by Hou Canoes and will be just over 15ft 7in long.

I got to paddle it straight off the production line yesterday and the initial impression is that this is a very very good boat! Initial and secondary stability are bang on and make for a very predictable ride, it also tracks well and when put through its paces turns sharply and responsively.

That was just on the flat though, so keep an eye on the link here for updates and more details! This is an exciting time for UK boat design :)

All the details so far and the updates will be on Facebook here...

https://www.facebook.com/houcanoes/?fref=ts

Mike

scottdog007

Re: New Prospector on the way!

Post by scottdog007 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:12 pm

Interesting.

I have just tried googling to find info on Hou Canoes but my company internet doesn't allow some sites to open so I cannot find out.

For a while I have seen Hou Canoes on sale that seemed so cheap I just ignored them as I assumed they were Asian imports / copies, so I wanted to avoid these. In the end I bought Old Town Charles River. If Hou Canoes are designed and made in the UK then I would have looked at them differently. I would imagine there are others with my thinking.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:01 pm

The Hou Canoes are based on the Mobile Adventure range that disappeared when Colin Broadway retired. There may be some tweaks to the basic design, and the details and fittings have been reviewed. They are all triple layer PE.

Can you see http://www.houcanoes.com/

If you have access to http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/forum.php there's some info there.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:34 pm

I presume from this and the post on facebook, that Hou have designed this one from scratch themselves?

The other models as Chris says are from old moulds which they bought and have been turning PE boats out of (or they may have made new moulds from the old ones), but essentially they revitalised a bunch of existing designs, that were apparently quite good.

If they really have designed the Prospector from scratch its great news, a bit of a UK resurgence seems to be going on, what with Siverbirch having recently started production on 3 completely new designs of their own (2 trad, 1 OC1), Big Dog have finally got PE prototypes of their new OC1 made, Venture have just introduced some new materials (I think the existing moulds), and on the composite side Apache keep introducing exciting new models too.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:53 pm

Seems to be confirmed that this is a brand new design.

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:54 am

I have been kayaking for 9 years now. Canoeing for the last 3 years and basically I have never heard of Hou Canoes until recently. Alas I hate the name, as I said it sound like a cheap Asian import. I am all for British and we are great and designing and working hard just sh!t at marketing. I honestly think they need to work a bit more on improving awareness of their products and being British.

Nice to hear though that they exist.

Mike Ryder Coaching

Post by Mike Ryder Coaching » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Yep, designed from scratch! And it will be available in the ARNI3 material which will be a major competitor for the Corelite X from venture as the Prospector will weigh in at under 30kgs

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:50 pm

Mmmmmm! Designing a prospector from scratch? I think most canoeists know what a prospector looks like and they know that all boats called prospectors have a certain look about them. Sure some can be a bit different but really not very much.

So what does your average canoe purchaser want from a boat, good initial and secondary stability, 'tracks well', turns easily. But for an experienced canoeist, are these the qualities one would want described in the sales literature?

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:29 pm

scottdog007 wrote:I have been kayaking for 9 years now. Canoeing for the last 3 years and basically I have never heard of Hou Canoes until recently.
That's not surprising, they have only been going a couple of years, only been in full production for about 18 months and still building their market presence.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:02 pm

barelyafloat

Post by barelyafloat » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:17 pm

Mike Ryder Coaching wrote:Yep, designed from scratch! And it will be available in the ARNI3 material which will be a major competitor for the Corelite X from venture as the Prospector will weigh in at under 30kgs

Actually they weigh 36 kg approx ....