Desperate for a canoe

One blade only
sunstreaker

Desperate for a canoe

Post by sunstreaker » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:19 pm

I have a small fleet of kayaks around the house and garden and now want an open canoe. Second hand ones seem to sell very quickly and many hold Their value and often it's a challenge to know if to buy new. I will be paddling solo , rivers mainly flat or tidal. My quandary is should I buy low cost Riber 13 or 16 or Sun Dolphin or carry o.n watching the the classifieds. Any advice I would be grateful.
Using Tapatalk

jamiemagee

Re: Desperate for a canoe

Post by jamiemagee » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:27 pm

Watch the classifieds. You'll get a better boat and as said it'll hold its value

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:39 pm

Or buy an Apache canoe, either complete, or finish the gunwhales etc yourself. Depends a bit on what you want it for.

Song of the Paddle is the place to watch for canoes coming up, and for advice and inspiration for that matter (not that there's not that here too, its just more open canoe biased!)

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:38 am

I paddled an Apache, I don't think i have the room, equipment or ability to self build even though it's a small amount of work to some, so that means buying complete. Same or Little more than Pelican 15.5 and so is around similar to a lot of the cheaper end of the market. Mainly will be used for two to four hot club paddling initially.
Using Tapatalk

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:19 am

That was supposed to be hours not hot. Thanks for the advice, can anyone explain what's not good about the budget end riber or sun Dolphins. I know weight is one issue?
Using Tapatalk

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:01 pm

I don't know Riber or Sun Dolphins but I can tell you that there is a world of difference in the handling of a Pelican compared to an Apache, but both will do the job just fine.

Apaches handle really nicely, fast, turn well, relatively low freeboard if you end up paddling in wind, but for a non paddler they might feel a bit too tippy or difficult to make go straight.
Pelican will track well because of the keel, it will have much more stable feel and you will be able to paddle it anywhere you want to, but you won't be able to make it dance around with a single compound paddle stroke like an Apache, you might need 5 or 6 individual stokes to make it go where you want.

You just can't compare these things on paper/screen, you should try to track down demos and find out which suits the way you are going to paddle it.

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:19 pm

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:44 pm

Couple of rangers on there too, one in Preston

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:22 am

Thanks all, I noticed the ullswater canoes. Im south coast, so traveling and staying would add lots to the cost. demos seem few and far between. I can imagine dealers fed up of demoing their boat only to have people then searching on line for cheapest option to buy. Interesting that it may just be the weight and manoeuvrability that's the trade off buying budget canoe over midrange. Are their any bad canoes out there???
Using Tapatalk

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:47 pm

Don't underestimate the importance of weight and manoeuvrability.

Plough horse - show jumper
St Bernard - whippet
Persian - Siamese

If you are going to spend some money you should make sure you invest in something which will bring you joy rather than something which is just OK.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:20 am

I know I would not underestimate the weight issue when I'm trying to load and unload off the car roof. I guess it's supply and demand, but I was wondering why canoes hold their value over kayaks. This seems to favour buying new as apart from the VAT loss you seem likely to loose less selling after some considerable time as the terminal value of a canoe that still floats seems so high. May see what's at Southampton boat show this week.
Using Tapatalk

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:34 am

Easy, canoe designs endure, kayak designs are outdated and superseded every couple of years (thank goodness the days of 6 month life cycle for kayaks didn't last very long!). Basically if you buy a 10 year old canoe today, it will be just as relevant in 10 years time, and will sell just as well, if you buy a 10 year old kayak today, people will point and laugh at you, and forget shifting it on in 10 years time....

Personally I have never bought into the trends, I have and still sometimes paddle 40+ year old kayaks, I paddle a 16 year old design most weeks.

sunstreaker

Post by sunstreaker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:05 am

So another good reason to buy new, I note that Canadian design canoes with the upturned bow and stern don't seem as popular, is that a fashion thing or windage think?
Using Tapatalk

gwing

Post by gwing » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:12 am

There isn't any need for upturned bows and sterns unless you are constructing your canoe from pieces of birch bark so that shape in a modern composite canoe is purely an aesthetic feature not a functional one. Some like this, some don't.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:36 pm

In the same way that sea kayaks have raised bows to allow them to rise up through waves rather than cut through, the raising of cane bows is similarly useful. Of course if you only paddle on relatively flat water and not on large open water, the raised ends will be fairly redundant. There are other methods of designing canoes to held them lift through waves rather than cut through and take on water so some manufacturers use the alternatives.

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:17 pm

They don't come much better than this:
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 1&t=120964