OC1 Whitewater

One blade only
YorkieDave

OC1 Whitewater

Post by YorkieDave » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Does anybody have any useful resources for the small OC1 whitewater canoes.

They seem to be quite popular in the US but not so much in the UK.

I'm interested in finding out a bit more about boats like the Mohawk Rodeo or similar. (Suggestions?). I fancy giving one a go.

Thanks

elveys

Re: OC1 Whitewater

Post by elveys » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:36 pm

Best bet is probably hooking up with folk on cboating uk.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cboatin ... 169552704/

Jim

Re: OC1 Whitewater

Post by Jim » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Yep, definitely join the facebook group - there are decked boaters on there as well but mostly OC1 boaters.

If you are reasonably handy for the Tryweryn there is a small group who seem to be getting over there quite a lot at the moment, most weekends by the looks of it - I don't know if you are actually in York or not, some of the guys are travelling from Sheffield or Leeds way most weekends. They also make use of the Washy releases throughout the summer which would be closer for you.

There are a couple of S/H L'edges for sale at the moment - they are original rather than lite but I wouldn't expect them to hang around long so I'd advise getting in touch with the group ASAP and have a try to see if the L'edge might be a boat to suit you - but don't make too hasty a decision! There may be a Mohawk Rodeo up for sale again, I seem to recall the previous sale fell through.

I am a bit remote from the main group being in Scotland, but I do try and hook up with them from time to time.
Otherwise it's just a case of heading out with kayakers after explaining that you will probably swim a lot to start with.

When teaching yourself to paddle OC1 - approach rapids as you would in a kayak rather than as you would in a trad canoe, i.e. drive the boat forward with positive strokes rather than sitting back and steering. And work on trunk rotation, for effective cross deck strokes you want to be able to get your shoulders parallel to the centreline whilst your knees are locked in the bulkhead or straps facing forward....