Rivets

One blade only
David Robinson

Rivets

Post by David Robinson » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Just a quick technical question.

I need to replace end caps on some of our canoes and just wondered what size of pop rivet I should get. There for Old Town Discoveries and Allagashes if that helps.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris Bolton

Re: Rivets

Post by Chris Bolton » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:35 pm

I would get rivets that fill the holes, irrespective of what was there before. Have the old ones pulled out, or are you having to drill them out, or what? I don't know what's been behind the old ones, or how much access there is, but if possible I would put stainless steel washers on the back surface for the rivets to expand against.

Yellow boat

Post by Yellow boat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:53 pm

4.8mm x 20mm or longer, aluminium are what I use.
Putting a washer on the inside is a good idea but there is not always enought room to get in there to do it.

David Robinson

Post by David Robinson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:42 am

Hi

Apologies for the delayed reply. Put this post up and forgot about it, not something I normally do but sometimes life just gets a bit busy.

I've not taken the old ones off yet, I was mostly concerned about length as I know the plastic can be thick in this area, and as I don't often do this sort of thing don't have a lot of to base my judgement on. I'll try 4.8mm x 20mm and the washers and take it from there, if there the wrong size I'm sure we'll find a use for them at some point.

Thanks a lot for your help.