solo C1 wanted and advice!!!

One blade only
badgermin

solo C1 wanted and advice!!!

Post by badgermin » Tue May 27, 2014 9:04 pm

Anyone selling a solo canoe such as the wenonah voyager or souris tranquility? I live in North Wales (from Northern Ontario) and miss paddling single plade and marathon canoe racing. I figure my best bet is getting a solo boat so I can get out on the lakes. Anyone have any advice on where I might buy a boat that doesn't cost £3000 (that's fastish)!! And/Or, where I might find people, locally, to share my interest?
Thanks

kvin

Re: solo C1 wanted and advice!!!

Post by kvin » Wed May 28, 2014 7:39 pm

Might be worth a look at www.darksidecanoes.com - Nick posts on here and has developed a cheaper sit and switch c1. I've got a Wenonah j203, and haven't tried his boat but two ladies completed the Devizes Westminster this year in them which was a pretty good marketing idea and a good endorsement....

Not many sit and switch c1 paddlers that I know of, up until a couple of years ago there were precious few c1's around though some are being imported now. I paddle at Devizes down in wiltshire - miles from you I'm afraid - and we have a couple of 203's, a Wenonah advantage and a sawyer summersong out on the water which is pretty unusual.

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle » Wed May 28, 2014 9:25 pm

The marathon canoeing website is here http://canoeracing.org.uk/marathon/inde ... e-results/ (but it is mostly kayak racing) Marathon racing is not as popular in the North as it is in the South. It may be worth looking at the historical results to find a racing club near you, Runcorn or Chester probably. There is also a Racing Canoe Clubs group on Facebook. The DW website results will show individual canoeists. Canoes for the Hasler marathon races should meet ICF rules- no concave sections in boats over 460cm long unless they are for WWR, as a consequence, there are very few canoeists racing and those that do tend to be high kneelers or tandem sit and switch in trad styled boats. Other races on the calendar are not so strict about canoe design and you will see the occasional sit and switch racing canoe on the water. The other club to contact would be Paddlesports Racers Association, they have a warehouse in Milton Keynes full of boats powered by a single blade - canoes, outriggers, rafts and dragon boats http://www.mkweb.co.uk/Clubs-and-Societ ... iation.htm one of their members may be able to help you find a cheap racing canoe.

jamesw2

Post by jamesw2 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:38 pm

Where are you based? Dyffryn Conwy Paddlers http://www.dcpaddlers.co.uk are based in Conwy and train/race in marathon boats on the estuary and occasionally on Llyn Padarn at Llanberis. North american style sit and switch canoe marathon races don't really happen in the UK so the boats are pretty rare apart from a few C2s and the new Darkside as mentioned above.
If you want some company to train with, come and see us. We can provide stable marathon kayaks and could find you a high kneel C1 or wwr C1 but unfortunately not a marathon C1. A few years ago one of our members raced La Classique in Quebec and he paddled a stable K1 as a sit and switch boat when his C2 partner wasn't around.
FYI there is a marathon race at Chester on Sunday if you want to check out the regional marathon racing scene. Check the Chester canoe club website for details.

OldNick

Post by OldNick » Thu May 29, 2014 6:49 pm

Any time you (or anyone else) would like to try out The Darkness racing C1, please give me a call and we can arrange something.

It also works really well as an entry level high-kneeler. I have recently transitioned and although challenging, it’s actually quite good fun. I’ve completed 12 sessions now, haven’t fallen in and can actually get from A to B, if somewhat ungainly!

Nick

michielv

Post by michielv » Fri May 30, 2014 1:05 pm

badgermin wrote:Anyone selling a solo canoe such as the wenonah voyager or souris tranquility? I live in North Wales (from Northern Ontario) and miss paddling single plade and marathon canoe racing. I figure my best bet is getting a solo boat so I can get out on the lakes. Anyone have any advice on where I might buy a boat that doesn't cost £3000 (that's fastish)!! And/Or, where I might find people, locally, to share my interest?
Thanks
Apart from The Darkside there is also the Marathon 17 ft built by Apache Canoes: http://apachecanoes.co.uk/page13.html
In case you find yourself a paddling partner there is also the 21 ft C2: http://apachecanoes.co.uk/page14.html

Steve rudd

Post by Steve rudd » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi are you still interested in a a1 condition ultra light voyager

WWRColin

Post by WWRColin » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:56 am

Just seen post from Steve Rudd re selling a voyager, I am looking for one or something similar. If you are selling please call Colin on 0151 343 0228

C1pete

Post by C1pete » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:36 pm

I have a slalom c1 I would sell pretty cheap as I don't use it anymore if you fancy learning a new type of c1 paddling to mix it up. It is a Galasport ninja cut for about 70-75kg in pretty great condition.