Pyranha ranger repair

One blade only
g_mcmann

Pyranha ranger repair

Post by g_mcmann » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:13 pm

I have just picked up a well used Pyranha Ranger 16 for a good price, the catch is that there is a 12" split in the bottom. I don't want to take it out on white water as I will still do that on my kayak but I want to get it in the condition where I can take it out on the lakes an not worry about it.

My question is therefore, what is the best way to repair the split? As far as I can tel it is a foam core between plastic skins so I guess a plastic weld wouldn't work?

Hope someone can help.

Cheers

Gareth

Jim

Re: Pyranha ranger repair

Post by Jim » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:24 am

If it is Royalex, it's a solid abs core between vinyl skins, but you are quite correct, welding is not a suitable repair technique.
Have a search online for Royalex repair, there are several ways to do it, one of which includes melting lego bricks in solvent.

But check your construction first, I think some of the Pyranha (now Venture) boats are polythene, in which case they probably weld like a kayak.

If in doubt contact Pyranha for advice.

Yellow boat

Post by Yellow boat » Sat May 10, 2014 4:18 pm

Gareth.
I don't know of any Rangers made in Roylex so I would expect it to be PE. It will weld no problem.
I don't know you location but I am in the South East and could do the job for you if it's not something you want to tackle your self.
PM me.

Cheers
Paul

g_mcmann

Post by g_mcmann » Tue May 13, 2014 9:48 am

Thanks for the offer Paul but I am up in the North West. Fortunately I have a friend who (unfortunately for him) has a fair bit of experience with welding boats, he has a habit of breaking them...

Yellow boat

Post by Yellow boat » Thu May 15, 2014 8:59 pm

No problem hope it all goes well and you get back on the water.

Cheers

Paul

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri May 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Not having any great skill in welding plastic, I might add a note of caution that the sandwich construction in the Venture canoes will have a thinner layer of PE than in a ‘normal’ kayak and will likely need more care.

g_mcmann

Post by g_mcmann » Mon May 19, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks for the warning Adrian, I welded it this weekend and it went ok until the last 10mm and it got a bit too hot. Managed to save it thankfully. Now to replace the thwart and seat and it good to go.

Donkayaker

Post by Donkayaker » Sat May 31, 2014 8:35 am

Should weld polyethylene with a fine hot air blower much easier to control and not damage the plastic ! I do repairs on kayaks and canoes as part of my business in northwest. If need any help email me donkayaker@hotmail.com I now I'm moving to the dark side paddling oc1 too ! Before all the comments start lol