OC1 Paddle Whats The Best

One blade only
andymc131179

OC1 Paddle Whats The Best

Post by andymc131179 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi all

More OC1 questions.

What is the best paddle, big question but what thoughts do you all have.

Many thanks

Andy

Jay Oram

Re: OC1 Paddle Whats The Best

Post by Jay Oram » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:01 pm

I have tried a couple, I would suggest getting out with a group and borrowing some to try. I started with an old plastic Ainsworth, then the big red robson one. I still keep the Ainsworth C100 as a spare, but have got the new river play and river carbon ones from Ainsworth.

They are just as stiff and comfy to paddle as any other I've tried and the big play blade is great for Trad / OC1 river boating.

http://www.ainsworthpaddles.co.uk/Canoepaddles.html

But everyone has their favourite, I made my own wooden paddle I enjoy using on deep rivers/lakes and my partner loves her wooden paddle for most trips - guess you just need to try some out :-)

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:38 pm

Apparantly it's the Kober (forgot the model name might be S-Power?), but since I was not looking to spend that kind of money and work out the import situation (probably dead easy) I bought an Endless River Phantom which has been doing me well, and an Ainsworth C100 which I made into splits.

Main point to note is that both of my paddles are flat - either side can be the drive face, so they don't deliver optimal power, but I can flip them around (say if I'm J-stroking on the flat between rapids) without worrying which side is which.
It seems that most OC1 paddlers prefer a curved paddle which will generate more power on the drive face, but you need to keep track of which way around it is.

I honestly don't know why I prefer a flat canoe paddle, I have been using curved and assymetric kayak paddles pretty well since I started 25+ years ago and never get them muddled up. It is possibly because I like certain trad strokes (like Indian Stroke) where the paddle gets reversed at the end of every stroke - technically these have no place in OC1 but.....

Mark Steel

Post by Mark Steel » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:34 pm

I think you may find it is a Kober Athens, personally I use a ER Phantom or a Bandit.

W5RAY

Post by W5RAY » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Like others on here the Ainsworth C100 is a good, strong paddle to start with, get it with the composite shaft as warmer to hold on to in winter and it shouldn't let you down. Up from this is probably a Werner Nantahala or similar paddle - I have one of these also and it's a very good paddle, much better than the C100 and can be used for OC1 and Canoe WW. The Kober paddles are real nice but I went for a custom made VE paddle - but by then you need to know what you want and size, etc to get the best out of it. The VE is a great paddle but for some reason when the going gets tough I tend to rely on the Nantahala...... wierd!
Ray

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:43 pm

I see Werner are now offering a Luna, similar to the Nantahala but different materials and a little cheaper

Kevin Cooper

Post by Kevin Cooper » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:36 pm

Isn't the Luna much the same as the Rec was, which appears to have gone from the line-up?

I still use the Rec and have found it a good middle range paddle.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:55 am

The VE c1 paddle is really nice, I know when I bought it that it turned out about the same price as the Bandit which always struck me a pretty expensive for what it was (although the carbon one looks almost as nice as the VE).
I can only think of two possible downside to the VE and that's the sharp corners at the tip,I like mine, but I know a few people who have ordered them with rounded off corners, the joys of custom built paddles.
Also the shaft is a nightmare to adjust/replace due to the taper and the most evil glue holding it all together, no wonder the cost of sending them back and having a new one put on is so high.
But in every other way I'm sure they are the best OC1 paddle available over here.
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.