Space under the canoe on the roof rack

One blade only
sbrat

Space under the canoe on the roof rack

Post by sbrat »

1st post .. go easy on me.

Holiday with the family, I would typically have the roof box on .. but I've put my canoe on the roof instead. I have a Kamei 510 ... so I've just lost 510l of space. I look under the canoe and see a large gapping void .. ~the size of a roof box.
After a quick google I only found some references on the US forums about people attempting to make use of this space. I am acutely aware of the problem with the upper limit of weight supported by roof bars - Passat - ~100kg all in. No way to fit the roof box under the canoe of course ..thwarts and yoke in the way.

Question: Has anyone attempted to make use of this space under their canoe to carry, for example, 20kg/100l large bag .. and how did you do it?

I spent a while looking at cargo baskets. The only thing that looked like it had the potential to work was the Yakima Skinny Warrior which half looked like I might be able to remove the thwarts and yoke and thread back through it. Not available in the UK apparently. I now find myself thinking about a custom piece of thick ply cut to shape with U bolts onto the bars at either end and holes down each side through which to run straps to cinch any luggage.

Bad idea? Good reason no else apparently does this?

Jim

Re: Space under the canoe on the roof rack

Post by Jim »

Most people find the canoe on its own is quite heavy enough to try and manhandle onto the roofrack, never mind adding another 20kg of kit first!

Kayakers sometimes carry kit in boats, but it is much easier to ensure it can't fall out.

Instead of U-bolting a sheet of ply to the roof bars, how about U-bolting it to the thwarts so you can secure your kit in the canoe?
Or strap a couple of small bags under the seats (so they will be in top when loaded) which can act as built in platforms. Only do that if your seats are fairly close to the bars, you don't want too much weight overhanging.

sbrat

Post by sbrat »

Hmmm … all fair points.

In fairness I wasn’t proposing to attach the gear to the boat, then flip the boat and then lift the lot onto the car. I was more thinking to put the boat on the car … then slide the bag(s) in from either end.

I guess I’m just surprised no else does it. Must be a good reason why not.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I think we've tied lightweight bulky things like BAs and karimats into the boats before putting them on the roof. Also awkward items like canoe poles. Travelling with canoeing mates rather than family, we will either have one tandem boat and two of us in the car, in which case we're not short of space, or two boats and four of us, when we are short of space but approaching the rack capacity if not the total car weight limit.

One solution for you might be longer roof bars, so that you can fit the box alongside the canoe. Thule Probars can be up to 2m; you can certainly have bars as wide as the car body (1.823m for my Focus) and I have used them up to with width of the mirrors (2m) but that may not be strictly legal and 1.823m fits two canoes flat.

Micky_B

Post by Micky_B »

Sorry if this is an obvious suggestion but have you thought about using uprights so the canoe is on edge rather than upside down? - your roof box does sound large so that may still not work but the earlier suggestion re wider bars may help. On edge is more noticeable when there's any cross winds but I've often used that method for shuttles and shorter journeys(I've also seen lengths of timber strapped onto roof bars to lengthen them but not sure that I'd want to try that for anything valuable or at any speed/ distance).
I also own a Passat and have experienced the bolts fixing the roof rails to the car working loose - leading to a knocking noise from the roof that I couldn't locate until unloading - as when you stop the weight settles back onto the roof so all appears fine! Definitely worth checking occasionally!

sbrat

Post by sbrat »

Only to close this out ... I gave up on this idea .. too much hassle for too few uses. Got someone else to take extra gear in their car and the canoe goes, alone, on the roof rack as it should.

Opportunity for a cottage industry though.