Hou vs Nova Craft 16ft canoe

One blade only
Philq84

Hou vs Nova Craft 16ft canoe

Post by Philq84 »

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help. I’m after a new canoe. I’m 6’7” and about 115kg. I want to be able to paddle solo but also tandem occasionally.

I have a budget of £1,100 and have been looking at the nova craft sp3 16 and hou 16.

Nova craft appears to be a good boat but not sure about hou.. I like the fact they are British made.

Can anyone suggest the best option or have experience with the two?

Thanks
Phil

twopigs

Re: Hou vs Nova Craft 16ft canoe

Post by twopigs »

Try before you buy!
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Do you plan to paddle rivers or flat water? Hou make a Prospector 16 which has the manoeuvrability for rivers and higher ends to keep waves out, and a Hou 16 which is more for straight lines and a bit lower so that the wind doesn't catch it so much. Novacraft just have the Prospector shape. All are polythene, tough but heavy; I think the Hou are slightly lighter. Novacraft sell the SP3 construction in their Outfitter range, ie, for hiring out to people who might not look after them.

You might also find Enigma canoes, sold by the Canoe Shops chain. The hulls are made by the same plastics manufacturer as Hou, so they are the same shape, but the fitting out may differ. I couldn't say what the differences are.

The Prospector is a well tried design, although each manufacturer has their own variant. The Hou 16 (and the Enigma Turing 16) is based on the Mobile Adventure Symphony, not made any more but had a good reputation.

Given the current problems with international shipping and the shortage of empty containers, I would be thinking of a UK made boat at the moment.

tia89b

Post by tia89b »

The quality of build between these boats is massive.. The novacraft has a much higher quality of build and finish.. It's also a much superior canoe to paddle..

Philq84

Post by Philq84 »

Thanks for your responses.. I’ve decided to go for Ace prospector.. I believe it’s the same mould as the hou..
I think I will bed myself in with this one before looking at something a little more expensive and lighter..

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Ace make the polythene mouldings for Hou and Enigma and are a very well established kayak and canoe makers. The only finished Ace canoe I've seen, however, was very badly fitted out, and it was one that was on display - maybe they rushed getting it ready, but it really wasn't a good advert. If you've seen the fitting out and are happy with it, no problem, but if not, I'd recommend checking before you buy.