New To Canoes What Canoe?

One blade only
creatamax

New To Canoes What Canoe?

Post by creatamax »

Hi everyone. Hope you are all good after these crazy times we have had. Looking for some advice from some experienced Canoeist if you don't mind.

I was a very keen sea kayak paddler but due to a back injury i can no longer paddle due to the very low legs out seating position but i can paddle a canoe which is a saviour so i can still enjoy being on the water all be it rivers and lakes its till paddling and camping out. Ive paddled a thew random ones but have no idea of makes and models etc.
I can tell you a good insight about what sea kayaks and what boat does what and i know material and construction shape etc makes a big difference like composite compared to plastic is a big difference in performance, so what i'm asking is a little help from you experienced canoeists on what canoe to get.

I will be solo paddling but occasionally paddling with my girlfriend and doing over night paddle camp outs and solo camp outs. We pack light and small, i weight around 75kg and my girlfriend around 55kg? (i think haha) but she is small.

I want something as light as possible to move and transport solo so to put less stress on my back but except they are heavier then sea kayaks.

Maybe Suitable for some easy whitewater river play i've seen this being done and looks fun but if its a special boat all together then thats fine.

Just looking for a good all rounder. We are heading up to do the Glen Coe canoe trail on the caledonian canal in a thew weeks so would be nice to have a canoe for that to save renting one seems i want to get one anyways. Again we pack very light and don't weight a great deal so just looking for a good all rounder but must be good for solo paddling if there is such a thing? or can i have two up in a solo?.

Sorry for all the questions haha.
Cheers Mike

Terryg

Re: New To Canoes What Canoe?

Post by Terryg »

You are probably looking for a 15 foot Prospector type canoe. This is a good allround boat suitable for solo or tandem use.
For lightness, you would be looking for composite construction, but for white water you really need plastic.

If you are buying new, then look at the Silverbirch, Hou, Enigma, Ace, and Venture brands.
If buying second hand then look out for a boat constructed from Royalex, by We-no-nah, Nova Craft, Old Town etc.

Check out the FaceBook selling sites.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Something about 15ft (canoes are normally discussed in feet, even in the UK) will be good for light-packing tandem or solo, 16ft would give you a bit more capacity and still be OK solo on the water, but a bit heavier for off water handling. The usual set up is to use the standard seats for tandem and add a kneeling thwart for solo.

Canoes are not necessarily heavier than sea kayaks. There are some very good composite canoes and while they are not cheap they are similar in price to composite sea kayaks. Look at Swift, Wenonah, Northstar - unfortunately all those need to be imported. I think it's the UK's (particularly England's) prevalence of rivers rather than the lakes they have in N America that's pushed the UK market to plastics, although Royalex/T-Formex is a lighter alternative to polythene. There are only two UK composite canoe builders I can think of, Apache (very helpful and will do custom builds) and Mega. Have a look at this - 13.5kg for a 16ft boat!
the Glen Coe canoe trail on the caledonian canal
You might want to check your geography there!

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Thanks for the replies guys really appreciate it and some good advice for a direction to start looking. I think price is going to be the decider as there are some lovely boats mentioned there and very light but very expensive haha, food for thought though. Thank you.

Ah Chris i meant Great Glen canoe trail haha not Glen Coe. My bad.

Thanks for the advice, ill start looking around and see what i can find.
Cheers Mike

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I think price is going to be the decider
Since weight is also important to you, I think Apache would be where I'd start. Unfortunately (I spotted your location in your For Sale thread) he's in Cheshire, a bit North of you.

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Hi Chris
Just checked them out, they seam really good! Great price and lighter then most ive seen. Have you paddled one before?. I like the sound of the Trekk 15T-FMP.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Mike, I haven't paddled one personally, but I know people who do, and they like them.They tend to have a bit less beam than some, which will suit you; stability won't be an issue with your sea kayak experience and you'll get a bit more performance. If you want to do tandem overnight trips you might be better with the 16T. Also note that the Quietwater range is effectively the same hull shapes as the Classic but in lighter materials.

Starting with the Classic gives you the opportunity to sell on without losing too much money if you want to move to a different model once you get experience. You can also find Apache boats secondhand, on here or SOTP.

SJD

Post by SJD »

Perhaps something like the Wenonah Solo Plus. They also have several past and current models in the larger solo tripping/expedition category.

https://wenonah.com/Canoes.aspx?id=122

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Hi SJD thanks for the reply. i just checked them out and that solo plus sounds really interesting. Have you paddled one before?

SJD

Post by SJD »

Yes, but with a disclaimer. My wife and I spent about an hour with one during a demo day many years ago. The Solo Plus we paddled was the core, Kevlar 49 version. It is a very nice canoe but we both felt it suffers from a bit of an identity problem; the problem of trying to be two different boats. The width at the gunwales was not to our liking for solo. Paddling tandem was ok but does not reach the level of a longer dedicated tandem tripping canoe.

We eventually purchased a dedicated larger tandem and a racing oriented solo, both were purchased at a deep discount. If you have the budget and the storage space that may be a good option. If not and you can live with the shortcomings, the Solo Plus is a good option.

Jim

Post by Jim »

It may also be worth asking Silverbirch if they are near to releasing a composite canoe. They have been working on one, but this whole Covid-19 thing has seen a massive uptake in paddlesports and my understanding is that they are currently flat out building PE boats (including canoes, but mostly their SOT kayak range) to try to keep up with demand, so I would suspect the composite boat is on the back burner for now. In any case lead time would be several weeks, in fact it probably is for any new composite boat, they are generally made to order.

If you are going for a composite boat, do have a chat with the builder about your requirements. I have an Apache 16 (older one, I think it is 16 trek in the current range) which I got mostly to paddle on lochs, although I have also run the Spey and messed around on some other rivers. As it happened the second hand one I found had been cut with lower than normal freeboard (ideal for open water, reduces wind area), but the thwart seemed a little long, and after chatting wth Stu I ended up shortening it (I was renewing gunwales and thwarts anyway) a few inches which makes the boat a little narrower and tends to push the bow and stern down a little reducing rocker and improving tracking (but it is still manouevrable enough on a river). So it is possible to customise the boat to a degree, in fact it is with any boat, but the guys who build composite boats tend to understand the options for their hulls really well.

fullsend

Post by fullsend »

creatamax wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:47 am
Hi everyone. Hope you are all good after these crazy times we have had. Looking for some advice from some experienced Canoeist if you don't mind.

I was a very keen sea kayak paddler but due to a back injury i can no longer paddle due to the very low legs out seating position but i can paddle a canoe which is a saviour so i can still enjoy being on the water all be it rivers and lakes its till paddling and camping out. Ive paddled a thew random ones but have no idea of makes and models etc.
I can tell you a good insight about what sea kayaks and what boat does what and i know material and construction shape etc makes a big difference like composite compared to plastic is a big difference in performance, so what i'm asking is a little help from you experienced canoeists on what canoe to get.

I will be solo paddling but occasionally paddling with my girlfriend and doing over night paddle camp outs and solo camp outs. We pack light and small, i weight around 75kg and my girlfriend around 55kg? (i think haha) but she is small.

I want something as light as possible to move and transport solo so to put less stress on my back but except they are heavier then sea kayaks.

Maybe Suitable for some easy whitewater river play i've seen this being done and looks fun but if its a special boat all together then thats fine.

Just looking for a good all rounder. We are heading up to do the Glen Coe canoe trail on the caledonian canal in a thew weeks so would be nice to have a canoe for that to save renting one seems i want to get one anyways. Again we pack very light and don't weight a great deal so just looking for a good all rounder but must be good for solo paddling if there is such a thing? or can i have two up in a solo?.

Sorry for all the questions haha.
Cheers Mike
This post made me realize I don't know much about canoes, yet I've been paddling canoes all my life. I've never owned my own canoe, I've always just used friends or if I was away at a summer camp, I used what the camp had.

I've been in all different types of canoes from thin metal (I guess aluminum) to nice fiberglass canoes.

I guess if I was in your position with the requirements you listed, I'd look for the lightest canoe I could find, that still felt solid in the water. Some canoes I've been in are just too old and janky. If it's light, but flimsy when in the water, then I wouldn't like that and would want to go for a heavier canoe until I found one that felt like it wasn't flexing too much on the water.

Hope this helps