WANTED: Big block of foam... 2/2/7ft

Whitewater and touring for sale and wanted adverts
kayakpete

WANTED: Big block of foam... 2/2/7ft

Post by kayakpete »

Just as the title says really, looking for a big bit of foam.... either polyurethane, polystyrene.... preferable polystyrene. 2ft W by 2ft H by 7ft L

its probably a big of chance if many people have such a large chunk but hayho... any info on where to obtain such a big bit, would be also greatly appreciated!

im in the cornwall area, so not to far away please!

Thanks a lot pete! :)

floriano

Re: WANTED: Big block of foam... 2/2/7ft

Post by floriano »

I'm afraid I can't help you with this. But it looks like there is someone who wants to shape his own playboat, right?

Kyle F

Post by Kyle F »

Think i have seen blocks this size in bournemouth canoes maybe worth contacting them to see where they acquire it. Hope this helps

kyle

carboncraft

Post by carboncraft »

try you local packing / shippinng company, i get big blocks from our local packing company and not expensive either

Green.media

Post by Green.media »

What is is actually for if you don't mind me asking?
I'm sure if we all rub our heads together enough we can come up with a much cheaper material than the mini cell foam! something like inulation foam or craft or modeling foam is perfect for moulds if your trying to make a boat ;)
Cheers
Rich

kayakpete

Post by kayakpete »

wow, thanks everyone! indeed it is for a kayak... just seeing if i can make one cheaper really! i was thinking along the lines of the polystyrene that is used in packaging, i was playing around with it, and if fine grit sand paper is used you can actually get away with making some pretty good shapes, i also though about glueing a few surfboard blanks together... not sure on that though... any ideas would be a great help! :) but thanks again everyone! :)

cheers pete!:)

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Try a builders merchants for Polystyrene sheets - they do them in 8' x 4' sheets, they go up to about 10cm thick and you could use several sheets in layers to build a block - you're looking at about £7 per sheet. That may be a cheaper option.

Chalky
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

Green.media

Post by Green.media »

modeling foam all the way :D super easy to shape comes out to a very fine surface finish, if not then insulation foam and a layer of resin over the top to make it into a none obsorbant material, should be able to pick both up cheap (sub £50)

What material are you looking to make the boat from? fiber Glass, Carbon, plastic?

Daker

Post by Daker »

Pete,
This is something I have considered myself but not got round to yet and was just thinking of using polystyreme insulation foam sheets, about 6" thick, gluing a few together and taking it from there. Better quality stuff like Kingspan (?) would be easier to work with but more expensive.

Can you please post here or PM me to let me know how you get on as its definitely something I want to do once I decide to replace my current surf boat.

Thanks.

kayakpete

Post by kayakpete »

modeling foam... isnt that going to be in very small pieces??? i was thinking of using a composite material... depending on funds, depends on which one!! haha :)

would you reckon a basic glue like PVA / wood glue, be good enough to glue the foam together???

i will do my best... im in the ideas stage atm, so when things get rolling i will post picks and alsorts! :)

thanks again to everyone! :)

pete

Daker

Post by Daker »

I hadnt got far enough to worry about what glue to use, sorry.

NB if using polystyrene be VERY careful as a lot of solvents in glues will just melt it as Im sure you know.
But it does mean you can disolve your 'blank' once the boat is made, assuming you dont want to go down the route of actually making a mould ?

Green.media

Post by Green.media »

sorry for slow reply, modeling foam comes in all shapes and sizes my college get in 7ftX2X2 ft sections we then cut up or you can get 8" sheets, glue to use with it idealy is evostick but if your using polystyrene then deffinatly PVA
for a composite mould you ant ot to be in 2 halfs to be able to split it then re join the 2 sections as well bare that in mind

StephMoss

Post by StephMoss »

Hey Pete

they sell them at either B&Q or Homebase (think it was Homebase actually). A variety of sizes but def go quite big. Cheap too.

Stephan

kayakpete

Post by kayakpete »

ahhh cheers people!! a great help... im just finalizing my design... and when the student loan comes in i may have to start looking at a shopping list!! :)

cheers

Return to “Whitewater and Touring Kayaks For Sale”