Swap Prelude for Spanish Fly/prelude for sale

Whitewater and touring for sale and wanted adverts
Bob Mckee

Swap Prelude for Spanish Fly/prelude for sale

Post by Bob Mckee »

Hi

I've got a prelude with has been used only about 10 times and is in really good nick. It's fully outfitted and all that.

Does anyone fancy swapping it for a similar condition Spanish Fly?

Alternatively I'd be prepared to sell the prelude for about £550.

If interested you can get hold of me at badassbobbyboy@hotmail.com or ring me on 07989959848.

I'm based in Manchester but paddle pretty much all over except the South West so can meet up anyone interested.

Cheers

Bob

Jim

Post by Jim »

Can anyone tell me how the Prelude paddles? I normally paddle big boats with temporary outfitting but I've always thought about getting a short WW boat so any info would be useful (I normally paddle kayak of course).

Jim

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

Hi, I asked Ken Hughes The same question, because I know a guy wanting to do the exact same swap (spooky).

Ken reckons that the Prelude is modeled on a cut down Ocoee. And paddles quite like one with the obvious loss of forward speed that comes with sortening a boat.

Hope this helps Jim. (P.S. quite fancy one myself, but have spent all my cash that I haven't earned yet on a new Prospector 16' and a Mega Scarab Surf Kayak, come on Santa, get 'em delivered!!!)

Wilf

jonl

Prelude

Post by jonl »

I did the opposite to this a few years ago, moving from a Superfly to the Prelude. I realised that I had no interest in playboating and hoped the Prelude would help me move on to slightly harder White Water. The Prelude has very little primary stability compared with the Superfly (or Spanishfly) and many people find this a problem, particularly if they come from an open boating background. The Prelude was modelled on the Ocoee but is a very different boat to paddle. I'm not sure it's that much slower than the Ocoee, but it wants to turn all the time, even more than the Superfly in my opinion.

Jim, if you are thinking of getting a short WW boat I would very much recommend the Prelude, if you remember it is what I was paddling on the Roy gorge a couple of years back. It will take a lot of abuse, and as long as you are willing to be proactive in your paddling it is very responsive. What I most like about this boat compared to previous boats is how easy it is to get moving when full of water. One of the big problems I found paddling the Spanishfly was getting across eddy lines with a boat full of water, this is much easier in the Prelude.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks guys,
I just remembered a friend was looking to sell his Ocoee a while back, can't remember if he did or not. How different are the Ocoee and the Prelude in handling?

I started out looking for higher volume kayak for more comfortable river running and now I've broadened my search to include open boats - makes more sense in some ways, I like a challenge and bigger kayaks tend to take some of it away :-)

Jon - I was wondering what it was you were paddling on the Roy, I am aware there aren't too many short whitewater designs around in the UK - what are the other options given that I'm not after a playboat?

Jim

danielz

Post by danielz »

Jim

I'm thinking of swapping from my ocoee to a prelude, would you be interested in my Ocoee? Also I think Alan Gamble still has his Ocoee sitting in a barn somewhere which I nearly brought off him 2 years ago but ended up buying mine more locally, he may still be open to offers.

Daniel

jonl

Other boats

Post by jonl »

If your looking at open boats for white water, the first thing I would consider would be the material of the boats. You're options are plastic, royalex or if you're feeling rich Twintex.
Plastic will probably be the most durable, and the options would be Prelude, Superfly/Spanishfly, Skeeter, and some others I can't remember. These are all reasonable river runners, with the Prelude in my opinion being the best. I would avoid the Superfly (precursor to the Spanishfly made by Savage) as the hull pretty much fell out of mine due to a design flaw.
In Royalex you have the Ocoee, Zoom, and many other slightly longer boats. There have been question marks about the quality of the royalex on the newer Bell Ocoee's. A second hand Dagger Ocoee should keep it's value even if you don't get on with it, and it is definately a good river runner. The Zoom is similar in size to the Prelude with slightly harder chines.
If you fancy splashing a bit of cash, try and get hold of a Robson Holmes or an Esquif Zephyr. These are both made out of a similar new material, which looks like it will be very strong and light.

The best place to look at details on all of these boats is http://www.cboats.net/ there is a page on boat specifications, and try a search on the forum for more details on boats you are interested in.

One final thing, as you mentioned comfort, the Prelude and Zoom are probably less comfortable than the rest of the boats for two reasons. They are very narrow, so you cannot get your knees that wide apart, and because of the lack of primary stability, the saddle tends to need to be a little lower.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Hmm, I just found the email from Alan, that was nearly 2 years ago, mind you he wasn't desperate to sell it, just fed up of not getting out much so I'll maybe drop him a line.

Reading between the lines, if the Prelude has less initial stability, the Ocoee must have more, if the Prelude has more rocker, the Ocoee must have less and it seems that the Ocoee is longer too - how long? as much as 11'? How do they compare for width and freeboard?

Presumably also the Prelude is easier to roll - is rolling OC1 a realistic thing on the river? I managed to roll C1 a couple of times in anger although that was years ago, in fact I was paddling with Alan the day I swam 4 times out of my C1, got a rescue on his boat once and rolled once. The edges used to do for me, plus that old boat had been repaired so many times the stern was twice as heavy as the bow....

Jim

Bob Mckee

Post by Bob Mckee »

Jon you're obviously more decisive than me! After paddling a zoom loads last year in the states, I decided I wanted a more traditional boat for running harder rivers so I got rid of my Fly and got the prelude. I've got a CU Fly which I use for easier rivers and playing and I think I find it quite hard to swap between that and the prelude. I figure that I used to run harder stuff in the spanish fly so swapping back won't be a problem. I will lose some speed but I'm hoping to make up for that with more accuracy down river! Personally I don't like the prelude when swamped I think it wallows badly when compared to the spanish fly, but that extra length helps when you want to punch through something. For low volume stuff the prelude is definitely nice however for anything steep with a bit more volume i think the Fly just about wins. I think what I really want for creeky stuff is an esquif taureau and I hope to pick one up when i return to the states this year.

Jim- the prelude is a nice boat and certainly hitting your lines in it feels really good. It has got more speed than a lot of other boats out there. I used to paddle an ocoee years ago and I suppose it is fairly similar. I think the ocoee was perhaps a bit easier to paddle but that might just be nostalgia kcking in! Both boats reward positive aggressive paddling and punish sloppy strokes or laziness. Would definitely both be good boats for an aggressive paddler. I would definitely consider them both. I think the prelude has a bit of an advantage just due to the durability of plastic over royalex. If you were after something with that traditional shape i would say you could go far wrong with those. If you're not bothered however and don't mind paddling an ugly bath tub around the Spanish Fly would defintiely be worth a look.

Anyway I've probably waffled enough, different boats work for different people. Alot of the time you can't quite put your finger on it but you know when something feels right. Try before you buy etc etc blah blah.

jonl

Post by jonl »

Jim wrote:Reading between the lines, if the Prelude has less initial stability, the Ocoee must have more, if the Prelude has more rocker, the Ocoee must have less and it seems that the Ocoee is longer too - how long? as much as 11'? How do they compare for width and freeboard?

Presumably also the Prelude is easier to roll - is rolling OC1 a realistic thing on the river? I managed to roll C1 a couple of times in anger although that was years ago, in fact I was paddling with Alan the day I swam 4 times out of my C1, got a rescue on his boat once and rolled once. The edges used to do for me, plus that old boat had been repaired so many times the stern was twice as heavy as the bow....

Jim
The Ocoee is 11' 2" long as opposed to the 9' 6" for the prelude. The Ocoee has quite a lot of rocker at the ends of the boat, certainly compared to some of the other boats of a similar size, but is not as pronounced as the prelude. The Ocoee is 29" wide whilst the prelude is 25" which feels like quite a difference to me, but the freeboard is very similar.

Regarding rolling I'm not sure there is much difference in how difficult they are to roll, though the prelude should certainly be quicker. I think the rocker on the prelude can make a roll difficult. As to whether a roll is a practical thing to do on white water I would definately say yes. Over the last three years I would say that my roll is at worst around 90% on grade IV, though I quite often do not come up first time. Catching an offside edge is definately not a good thing in a C1.

danielz

interested

Post by danielz »

Bob

I've pm'ed you.

Daniel

geordiepaddler

Post by geordiepaddler »

i have a prelude in great condition that i want to sell or swap or part ex for an ocoee or an outrage

the prelude is great to paddle but a bit short for me

anyone interested

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

Jim wrote:I started out looking for higher volume kayak for more comfortable river running and now I've broadened my search to include open boats - makes more sense in some ways, I like a challenge and bigger kayaks tend to take some of it away :-)
I thought the idea of moving to a bigger kayak was that you wouldn't get so wet and you wouldn't have to work as hard. Seems to me that you are a bit of a masochist, you just don't want an easy life:-)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring Kayaks For Sale”