Using Private Sales - some useful advice

Whitewater and touring for sale and wanted adverts
Sickboy

Using Private Sales - some useful advice

Post by Sickboy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:48 pm

There are a few details you'll be wanting to use in your 'private sale' post to get a quick and successful outcome, nothing traumatic or testing, but important nonetheless.

Subject: This is what people will see when they scroll down the private sales section, you'll be wanting to get the important stuff in here, Make, model and size.

Now that someone has clicked on your topic there are a few questions that will always be asked. Again make, model and size (an old Pyranha Inazone for instance have a three digit number molded in behind the cockpit), plus colour and age.

The same will be needed for most items you sell, be it a drysuit, paddle or roof rack.

You'll need to describe the condition and maybe give some background, this is especially important if you do not intend to post photos straight away.

Photos really do help with a sale, a picture speaks a thousand words, and if they are good people will be more likely to buy at a distance, which brings us neatly on to...

Location and Postage, buyers will want to know where you are, or where the item can be viewed (cardiff, hpp etc) and if you are willing to courier said item to them.

So there you go, as simple as that.
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

KrisH

Re: Using Private Sales - some useful advice

Post by KrisH » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:34 pm

The other thing that is really helpful is price.

Potential buyers like to know how much is being asked for the the item offered for sale.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:51 pm

As above, photos are useful; if somebody takes the trouble to write an ad with photos, it's quite likely they've looked after the gear they're selling. My guess is that a lot of advertisers don't post pictures because they don't know how, so here's the link:

http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/po ... _links.htm

clyde18

Post by clyde18 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:30 am

How do I edit or delete a post. I looked on the FAQ and it said use the edit button but it is not there on my post!!!

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:19 pm

You can only edit posts for a short time (I think it's 15 min) after posting it - the idea is that that will give you time to fix any errors. After that the button disappears. The problem was that people were editing posts after replies had been posted, and some threads became meaningless and impossible to follow.

If you want to say an item is sold, just make a new post. If there's really a problem, say for example you want your phone number removing as you're getting nuisance calls, click the triangle with a ! mark to report it to the Mods, and ask if they will make the change.

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:30 pm

How to post photos using Photobucket. Other image hosting solutions are available.
Mark Gawler

Jenkinsm

Post by Jenkinsm » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:22 pm

Why can't I put a post on I seem to be able to reply to others but can't find a button to post an ad

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:28 pm

There shroud be a "New Topic" button at the top left and bottom left of the page. Use that to create a post.
Mark Gawler

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:03 pm

What would be really useful is if the FIRST post could be edited to read SOLD in big letters once the item has ended. Saves scrolling down the page to find out... this might sound trivial, but it does take time.

I do this as a matter of courtesy on other forums, but if the first post edit is time limited, you can't extend the courtesy here.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Some forums allow a post to be "Closed" by the creator - that'd be useful here too...

D
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...