Double sea kayak - hardly used Arctic Star 630, Co. Durham

Whitewater and touring for sale and wanted adverts
geyrfugl

Double sea kayak - hardly used Arctic Star 630, Co. Durham

Post by geyrfugl » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Bought new (delivered direct from factory in Helsinki via Immingham docks :-) a few years ago when the kids were just about big enough for paddling and camping trips, but not big enough to paddle all day. Only used for a few trips (the photo above on a three-day trip on Loch Shiel) as the kids got into whitewater instead. The build quality is excellent and the boat pretty light (33kg) for a double. Not too beamy (you don't bash your knuckles paddling) and turns to a lean, so the rudder is not often used (doesn't weathercock significantly without the rudder, so you can live without it). I found it nicer to paddle than the Northshore double (our club has one with an underslung rudder, and we paddled a pair with conventional rudders with the kids in Iceland, so we've had enough mileage to compare). Cockpits are far enough apart that you can get away with not paddling in synch (useful if paddling with a child as their stroke rate is very different!), but when driven by two teenagers of a similar size who did paddle in synch, the burst of speed was impressive !

One minor point is that there is no bulkhead between the two cockpits. Adding one would be straightforward, but I never got round to it as we never used the boat in conditions where it was likely that we'd capsize and have one paddler bail out...

The boat is taking up space in our barn and no longer gets used which is a shame as it is such a nice boat. Make me an offer ! There are two Reed Chillcheater spraydecks in similarly almost-as-new condition.

We're in SW County Durham, just off the A66 (20 km from Scotch Corner) if you want a look.

Andy

Twosleeps

Re: Double sea kayak - hardly used Arctic Star 630, Co. Durh

Post by Twosleeps » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:58 am

Hi Andy,

I've just joined this forum, so apologies for any ignorance about to be exhibited.
With a 3 & 5 year old rapidly growing, we moved from the city to the highlands 2 years ago and are 10 minutes from a fantastic loch.

I have an old plastic boat from my teens (I'm now 40, so it's lasted well!) and a Canadian for the loch but am really looking for a double kayak that I can teach the girls in and in a couple of years start some minor expeditions in.

Having done a little research - but not enough - I know that double sea kayaks hold their price well; so this may be out of my price range. Would you be good enough to give me an idea of what price you're looking for? Feel free to PM or email me if you'd like to discuss further.

Many thanks,

TS

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Post by soundoftheseagull » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:34 am

Price please its like a posh shop with no prices in the window!
Dave

Rockpool GT

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 pm

I'm seeing doubles fetching scary prices on ebay so I'm aiming to undercut the opposition in the hope of actually shifting the boat despite its shininess and little use. Lets open negotiations at £850 and see how we go from there...

Leo Nathan

Post by Leo Nathan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi,

Is this boat still for sale? PM me if so I'm interested.

Leo

Murray carp

Post by Murray carp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Hello

Could you tell me the dimensions of the kayak, it looks like a 5.7m.

Thanks

Marty

Murray carp

Post by Murray carp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:48 pm

Sorry just realised its a 6.3m. Is it still for sale?

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:27 pm

Now sold, sorry - didn't want to post and bump the topic above active sales :-(

Return to “Whitewater and Touring Kayaks For Sale”