Beginner looking to buy first boat.

Whitewater and touring for sale and wanted adverts
Cjc2710

Beginner looking to buy first boat.

Post by Cjc2710 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi All,

Currently living in the Hartlepool area and looking to buy my first boat, recently finished my 1 star and have been bitten buy the kayaking bug, its all I want to do!

Obviously I've read up on things and understand it maybe bennificial for me to hold off buying a kayak just yet, but any opinions/advise will be welcomed greatly.

So if you have any suggestions/offers as to what to go for please let me know, im about 5ft 7 medium build, looking to relax down flat rivers as well as rapids and diffrent grades of white water, plus with me living so close to the see it would make sense to have something suitable for the surf. As you can imagine I am still finding my feet and currently not kitted out with anything. if a boat even exists or you know someone who could advise/sell please let me know.

Many Thanks is advance.

Regards

GenericName

Re: Beginner looking to buy first boat.

Post by GenericName » Tue May 28, 2013 8:09 pm

I was in the same sort of position a year ago (but I'm 76kgs and 5'11). I had a Liquid Logic Lil Joe and liked it - the flat hull would let you surf etc., it's got plenty of volume to look after you, and it's length (240cm-ish?) gave it downriver speed without being a like a cargo-ship to turn/spin. I'm afraid I don't have one to sell. Also, I've not been paddling long enough to know what the alternatives are. Totally different to the Joe, there was someone selling a Bliss Stick Huka on here a couple of weeks ago for £250, which if you fit it might be a good shot (less so for surfing maybe, given it's only a semi-flat hull). Demo, demo, demo!

GenericName

Post by GenericName » Tue May 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Just re-read your post...both boats I suggested might be too short and annoying to paddle flatwater in, so I guess it depends how much of each thing you're doing!

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Tue May 28, 2013 11:39 pm

From personal experience I have found there is no one kayak solution for all :-(

A surf kayak wont river run that well, a play boat wont surf that well and a creekboat or river runner wont play that well.

If you go for a one kayak fits all solution then you will compromise performance on all activitys so a solution might be to get more than one kayak.

I did paddle a Wavesport Fuse recently which would seem a possible general all rounder, worth trying to have a paddle in one if possible.

Paddle as many of your mates kayaks and see what you like, or try your local shops for demo's or your local kayak club.

hun

Post by hun » Wed May 29, 2013 8:35 am

Buy a medium Pyranha Karnali.
You can get them very cheap brand new at the moment, and they are great on whitewater wether you are doing grade 2 or 5. It has the length to do touring in, and easy to roll (that may be important) a great boat. Connect 30 outfitting is essential.

On the boats mentioned above, LL Lil Joe is the crappest boat ever made (based on many paddler's oppinion) do not buy one! Bliss Sticks are generally awkward to paddle and not great for a beginner.
Stay away from playboats in general, they are good for tricks but not much else.

If you want a fun, safe trip down the river you'll need a boat with volume, precision, good rollability.
Go Karnali.
Turtleback. We'll take you there

tadpole

Post by tadpole » Wed May 29, 2013 11:56 am

If you want to try a few different boats a local club is your best bet. You can get good advice on what might be suitable for local rivers etc.

I am a member of Roker Canoe Club based in Sunderland - if you make contact with us via the club website we would be more than happy to help.

Mike

GenericName

Post by GenericName » Wed May 29, 2013 12:09 pm

What's crap about the Lil Joe? I thought mine was good, but it was probably the first modern boat I paddled - so I might not have been the best judge, but I could probably sympathise with another beginner. I've still got a Bliss Stick Huka, which seems really easy to paddle to me (but again I might not be the best judge). Wouldn't a Fuse be terrible for any kind of distance?

Cjc2710

Post by Cjc2710 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:44 pm

This is all excellent information and many thanks to you all.

something else that ive been wondering is ultimately the way in which i should go about buying a boat, i was hoping to get one from a site like this or ebay second hand. as you can imagine with my experiance being very minimal at the moment i dont want to go spending a fortune for a boat that i dont know what to do with. or enjoy the boats capabillities.

ill look into the pyrannha Karnali and hopefully ill find something, but as regards to kit, is it better to buy new or again go for something second hand?

Regards

hun

Post by hun » Wed May 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Second hand gear is good to start cheap. Do not compromise on helmets though. Get a Sweet Wanderer (relatively cheap and bombproof.) it will save you a few swims, as you don't get scared being knocked about. Roho.co.uk is a place to start, they have good deals.

Paddles, try and get something half decent. Glass fibre is the best, they rarely break and hard wearing. As you will do some scraping it's best to stay away from carbon paddles.

Werner Sherpa, Powerhouse great.
Some Robson models are ok.
VE paddles are good too although rarely available used.

Hope the above helps.
You can also ask Kayaks North West in Runcorn for a cosmetic blem Karnali, they are the factory shop and always have something up their sleeves...
Turtleback. We'll take you there

jebs01

Post by jebs01 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm

Demo-Demo-Demo
Try as many boats as possible, you will find similar looking boats totally different in the way they paddle,roll etc.
Dagger Axiom is a personnel favourite and they are great river boats,good surfers and easy to roll, outfitting is good and they are selling off the old stock with the older outfitting at great prices.
Hope this helps.

Darksideup

Post by Darksideup » Wed May 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Should this post be titled 'First Kayak Wanted' or should it be transfered to the Inland section?
If the darkside is up there is no need for gills

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Wed May 29, 2013 11:19 pm

New or second hand.

If just starting out I would tend to go for the following.

Paddle - New
Reason being is you can get a mid range paddle for £80. When you upgrade paddles at a later date its then good for an emergency spare or to be turned into a pair of splits. Also second hand paddles are often quite tatty in relation to the asking price but then a bargain does turn up every now and then.

Kayak - Second hand
Lots of cheap kayaks to choose from, just bide your time and a good buy will turn up.

PFD New or Second hand.
As long as its functional new or second hand is fine, comfort & fit is important.

Cag - New
Some good cheap cags to be had new, google anything you are thinking of buying though to check for quality and known issues.
Again a good deal second hand might turn up but for the saving I think new is a better buy £ for £.

Trousers - New/Second hand.
Anything will do, if possibly swimming then a cheap wetsuit or wetsuit long johns could be ideal. Or a good pair of dry trousers.

Helmet - New
Cheap enough new and you know how much trauma it has taken.

Boots - New
Wetsuit boots are cheap enough new to not warrant getting second hand gear.

Air bags - New
Cheap enough new.

Spray deck - New or second hand.

Places to buy are Ebay, Kayak/Canoeing forums, Gum Treee, local clubs and word of mouth etc.

Above are just my opinions :-)

My most favorite item that is worth the £££'s is my cag. It keeps me dry which means I dont have to struggle with being wet, damp, cold and miserable and generally makes my kayaking more enjoyable.

Hope the above helps.

carlalvey

Post by carlalvey » Thu May 30, 2013 10:44 am

Regarding boat. I'd say a wavesport D75. Great boat for anyone and any waters. And easy to roll.
Regarding a helmet. Iv got a sweet wanderer helmet for sale. Brand new. Never worn. Retail120. I'm after £80 Ono
It's listed on this site with pics.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring Kayaks For Sale”