Search found 349 matches

by Debaser
Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:09 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Everest Kayak Expedition On BBC 4 Saturday 28th Dec At 22:00
Replies: 72
Views: 6783

Re: Everest Kayak Expedition On BBC 4 Saturday 28th Dec At 2

Showing now.

By god, with beards like that how can they fail?
by Debaser
Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:42 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: BCU Told to Put up or Shut up and Respect the law
Replies: 37
Views: 4812

Re: BCU Told to Put up or Shut up and Respect the law

Canoe England considers it probable that the Magna Carta and the Act for Wears and Fishgarths 1472 confirmed that there was, and is, a PRoN on all navigable rivers. Strange...I read this and suddenly the clouds parted, a shaft of sunlight pierced the sky, and I heard what sounded like a choir in th...
by Debaser
Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:18 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Anyone looking for a new house?
Replies: 10
Views: 1661

Re: Anyone looking for a new house?

Just the £45k gets you a 'fixer-upper'.
by Debaser
Sat May 29, 2010 4:38 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Macabre...but Hopefully Interesting
Replies: 8
Views: 1106

Re: Macabre...but Hopefully Interesting

Well, I did say the water appeared to be barely moving (I think the Aire is essentially canalised as it goes through Bradford to allow for loading wharves in the old days) so that was probably being over-critical. Overhanging branches would seem to be the obvious place for objects to be retained and...
by Debaser
Fri May 28, 2010 2:44 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: End in sight for micro-hydro?
Replies: 11
Views: 830

Re: End in sight for micro-hydro?

If we're talking offshore there's always http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salter%27s ... r.27s_Duck read, and weep for the opportunity lost.
by Debaser
Fri May 28, 2010 1:50 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: End in sight for micro-hydro?
Replies: 11
Views: 830

Re: End in sight for micro-hydro?

If Portland is turned into Teletubbyland on the water, I'd not have a problem with it; I don't see turbines as a blot on the landscape, but rather as a beacon of hope for humanity's future on this planet... I've used the argument before...tastes change. When this was built it wasn't considered a bl...
by Debaser
Fri May 28, 2010 9:56 am
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Macabre...but Hopefully Interesting
Replies: 8
Views: 1106

Re: Macabre...but Hopefully Interesting

Which would lead me to think it's more a call for volunteers, given the Health and Safety gaaawwwwnnn mmmaaaaaadddd attitude that supposedly infects our public services.
by Debaser
Fri May 28, 2010 9:20 am
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Macabre...but Hopefully Interesting
Replies: 8
Views: 1106

Macabre...but Hopefully Interesting

Watching the local news, re the murder of one woman and the apparently connected disappearances of two others in Bradford, footage of the police search of the River Aire has been shown. Along with the traditional police divers there were a couple of officers, a man and a woman, in kayaks evidently s...
by Debaser
Wed May 05, 2010 11:29 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: I don't do politics . . .
Replies: 191
Views: 7496

Re: I don't do politics . . .

Lib-Dem - ...talking about a decentralised grid - is that something to do with small scale stuff? Actually, if decentralised means used locally it might be OK. Too vague for me. It's my understanding that if we were to start again from scratch, then with what we know today, our power would come fro...
by Debaser
Tue May 04, 2010 1:31 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: I don't do politics . . .
Replies: 191
Views: 7496

Re: I don't do politics . . .

...what I would say is that a hung parliament can be potentially problematic. A hung Parliament simply requires MPs to act like adults and work together on areas of common ground for the benefit of the nation. It just requires mature compromises. How can that be problematic? Oh... ...disarmarment i...
by Debaser
Tue May 04, 2010 9:31 am
Forum: Sea Kayaking
Topic: Sea Paddling. I So Get It Now! Converted!
Replies: 8
Views: 1227

Re: Sea Paddling. I So Get It Now! Converted!

peakfreak wrote:...got over my entirely rational respect for the open sea...
Fixed.
by Debaser
Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:25 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Does the Angling Trust Want to Licence you?
Replies: 14
Views: 1524

Re: Does the Angling Trust Want to Licence you?

StoneWeasel wrote:
chriscw wrote:
Rohypnol ?
I was thinking LSD!

Denzil
Or, perhaps, a rather large brown envelope?

...nudge, nudge...wink, wink...say no more!
by Debaser
Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:38 am
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Does the Angling Trust Want to Licence you?
Replies: 14
Views: 1524

Re: Does the Angling Trust Want to Licence you?

Tony Aiuto wrote: Did someone slip some new legislation through that we don't know about yet?
I'd be more interested in what they slipped Salter to get him into a boat!
by Debaser
Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:47 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Food for the river!
Replies: 13
Views: 1014

Re: Food for the river!

...plus I know that the boil in a bag meals are good,(any recommendation on brands and meals) but those can be pricey...
http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/store/ ... -casserole

Oh yeah! Level 3 in the bag!
by Debaser
Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:28 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Go with Noaks
Replies: 35
Views: 3192

Re: Go with Noaks

jmmoxon wrote:
sigh...Jenny Hanley...sigh
In 10, Bo Derek's character was called Jenny Hanley...

Mike
Poor Bo, definately a poor second to the real JH I think.

Image
by Debaser
Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:11 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Go with Noaks
Replies: 35
Views: 3192

Re: Go with Noaks

This is a man who scaled Nelson's Column without a safety harness That's nothing.... on Magpie Sue Stranks & Jenny Hanley regularly wore T-shirt's without bra's! ....... and while Blue Peter had a poxy garden and sucked up to Princess Anne a lot, Magpie had a weir (well ..... Teddington Lock) Chas ...
by Debaser
Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:03 am
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Go with Noaks
Replies: 35
Views: 3192

Re: Go with Noaks

Noakes was a god, last I heard he was sailing round spain with his wife on a yaught but that was quite a few years ago. That must have been some undertaking - - - - - all the way round ??? This is a man who scaled Nelson's Column without a safety harness and using ladders that were probably made wh...
by Debaser
Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:21 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Go with Noaks
Replies: 35
Views: 3192

Re: Go with Noaks

John Noakes is my childhood God, but what on Earth was he doing paddling a sea kayak on the Wharfe?




What's that you say...that's what river boats were like in prehistory?
by Debaser
Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:02 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers
Replies: 1041
Views: 37260

Re: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers

Some good news for Fishguard; Hi Debaser I have had a chance to discuss your issue with my colleague who specialises in water quality and fisheries law. In relation to prosecution of kayakers under SAFFA, while it is unlikely that the actions of a kayaker would be enough to found a s.2(4) offence a...
by Debaser
Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:03 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers
Replies: 1041
Views: 37260

Re: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers

Well I've been provided with a list of prosecutions, covering 2009, taken out by the EA under SAFFA 1975. I can't say they're shy when it comes to protecting the fishery, but, much as I've searched, I can't find any reference to kayaking/canoeing. Mainly it seems to be anglers/poachers taking fish w...
by Debaser
Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:03 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers
Replies: 1041
Views: 37260

Re: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers

Hi Debaser I have now read over the thread at the link you provided, which has clarified for me the issues with which you are concerned. While I have not found any records on our database (which holds data back to 1999) of prosecutions under SAFFA for recreational boating, there were three prosecut...
by Debaser
Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:01 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers
Replies: 1041
Views: 37260

Re: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers

However you interpret the Act, a paddler is going to have to do something pretty drastic at a low level for there to be any chance of the EA considering prosecution. We would be well outside the realms of responsible access here, but let's go with it. Since the EA's stated policy, of the act not me...
by Debaser
Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:50 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Fishing litter
Replies: 138
Views: 4547

Re: Fishing litter

Is the advice/information that I tried to tell you about not starting to emerge via E.A, did you guys not benefit by contacting the E.A, and gaining the knowledge that changes are on the way? From the SAFFA thread, just for clarity's sake; Dear Debaser Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Salmo...
by Debaser
Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:09 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers
Replies: 1041
Views: 37260

Re: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers

Jim Pullen wrote:Edit: Just thought that the EA and Welsh Water are/were two different entities, which may explain things.
So, the public body charged with protecting the environment hasn't bothered boaters with this act. A private company charged with supplying clean, and taking away dirty, water has?
by Debaser
Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:46 am
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers
Replies: 1041
Views: 37260

Quelle Surprise!!

Dear Debaser Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975 (SAFFA) and kayaking. I have checked our database of prosecutions and can state that we have not prosecuted for recreational boating of any kind under SAFFA. SAFFA is concerned with the protection of fish...
by Debaser
Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:04 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers
Replies: 1041
Views: 37260

Re: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers

If the EA thought Section 17 of SAFFA applied to paddlers surely they would have put in canoe portage points 50 yards upstream and 100 yards downstream instead of a combined fish and canoe pass? Or have I misunderstood something? No. But what you can't see in the photo is the gaggle of quaking trou...
by Debaser
Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:41 am
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers
Replies: 1041
Views: 37260

Re: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers

Hi Hobley, I suggest you use the FOI act and ask how many incidents were attended by the police last year,concerning SAFFA 1975 on welsh rivers, and a picture should start to form in your head, as to what is "going" to be achieved to protect Spawning Fish. Done. Except...I've asked for PROSECUTIONS...
by Debaser
Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:18 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers
Replies: 1041
Views: 37260

Re: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers

Hi Hobley, I suggest you use the FOI act and ask how many incidents were attended by the police last year,concerning SAFFA 1975 on welsh rivers, and a picture should start to form in your head, as to what is "going" to be achieved to protect Spawning Fish. Done. Except...I've asked for PROSECUTIONS...
by Debaser
Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:31 am
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers
Replies: 1041
Views: 37260

Re: SAFFA 1975 Act, the new reason why we cannot paddle rivers

Conwy Rambler wrote:may 18 1988
Anglers' victory in canoe test case
Trumped by W266 dated 2000 surely?
by Debaser
Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:02 am
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Fisherfolk Pay Other River Users Don't
Replies: 23
Views: 1237

Re: Fisherfolk Pay Other River Users Don't

Regularly the comment "We pay you don't" gets mentioned by fisherfolk. Personally I think it is a tiresome statement as we ALL know this to be categorically wrong. So I have 2 simple questions to the fisherfolk out there that believe this statement to be true: 1. What exactly do fisherfolk feel we ...