Search found 13447 matches

by Jim
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:19 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Cag maintenance advice
Replies: 7
Views: 132

Re: Cag maintenance advice

Save up all your cags with worn/loose/split seals, and then when you have enough get a tub of glue and a load of seals andrepair them all at once. (assuming you use the bostik 2402 with a shelf life on the hardener so desire to use as much as possible knowing it will be out of date before you need i...
by Jim
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:16 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: What Activities (Other Than Kayaking) Build Stamina For Kayaking
Replies: 8
Views: 491

Re: What Activities (Other Than Kayaking) Build Stamina For Kayaking

I'm pretty sure (my coach will probably correct me later if I remember to ask) that stamina is not activity specific, so any activity that can be used for building stamina (cycling, running etc.) can be used to improve it for kayaking. Strength is more specific and whilst no other sport is likely to...
by Jim
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:56 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Newbie!
Replies: 5
Views: 290

Re: Newbie!

Probably the outfitting in the Lidl inflatable is pretty rubbish, you may be able to upgrade some bits like the seats with items from a better quality inflatable manufacturer like Sevylor or Gumotex - unfortunately I am too far from familiar with inflatables to know if this is really possible. There...
by Jim
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:51 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: I think I might paddle too much because....
Replies: 20
Views: 812

Re: I think I might paddle too much because....

Only the dining room?
I have one in the lounge always and room to hang another (usually when curing a repair), a C1 in a bedroom and currently a canoe in the conservatory (bad place to store PE boats in hot weather), although for the last 2 weeks there has been a composite C1 in there.
by Jim
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:37 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Kayaking watches?
Replies: 45
Views: 7053

Re: Kayaking watches?

Decathlon Geonaute is the way to go, completely waterproof for under a tenner. The W200 for £9.99 has a countdown timer if I ever go back to buggy racing, or for just knowing the time the W100 is only £4.99. Like Mark I have never had a cheap waterproof watch fail on waterproofness, usually the plas...
by Jim
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:53 pm
Forum: Sea Kayaking
Topic: Change to MSI broadcast channels
Replies: 3
Views: 290

Re: Change to MSI broadcast channels

Cool,
I don't think I have the time for that level of preparedness any more, I'm lucky if I remember to even charge my radio in advance!
by Jim
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:49 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: I think I might paddle too much because....
Replies: 20
Views: 812

Re: I think I might paddle too much because....

NathanE wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:45 am
You need a sat nav to tell you it's getting dark?
Can you think of an easier way to tell?
by Jim
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:49 pm
Forum: Sea Kayaking
Topic: Change to MSI broadcast channels
Replies: 3
Views: 290

Re: Change to MSI broadcast channels

To be honest with you, I just switch to whichever channel the first announcement on 16 specifies (often it turns out not to be the strongest one, but hey ho) rather than remembering what they are. I presume the announcement will continue to state which channel to tune to?
by Jim
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:45 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: I think I might paddle too much because....
Replies: 20
Views: 812

Re: I think I might paddle too much because....

My Car SatNav reads .... Home Work Dart Loop Start If you need a Sat Nav to find the Dart Loop you don't paddle enough. Sat Nav isn't for finding your way! It is for: - Estimating how long until you get there - Provides an accurate speedometer - Lets you know its getting dark (screen mode changes) ...
by Jim
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:31 pm
Forum: Sea Kayaking - Gear
Topic: Starting from scratch
Replies: 13
Views: 553

Re: Starting from scratch

I always recommend going S/H for a first boat because until you have one and get some time in it you won't really work out what suits you, so you might as well pick up something that you can move on for the same price when you have the experience to work out what suits you better. Don't try to get t...
by Jim
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:34 pm
Forum: Sea Kayaking - Gear
Topic: Do Carlisle make a carbon fibre paddle? Is it worth buying seconhand?
Replies: 3
Views: 149

Re: Do Carlisle make a carbon fibre paddle? Is it worth buying seconhand?

Who would be selling a carbon paddle for £30 unless it was totally trashed? On the other hand if you are buying a random paddle from an ad rather than one you have tried and selected because it suits your paddling style, does it really matter what it is made out of? What would the resale value be fo...
by Jim
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:30 pm
Forum: Sea Kayaking - Gear
Topic: Garmin GPSMAP 64S - routes presented not simplified
Replies: 4
Views: 164

Re: Garmin GPSMAP 64S - routes presented not simplified

Sounds like it has a 'satnav' mode for road navigation which you disable by selecting 'off road'?
by Jim
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:29 am
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Old Sevylor kayak
Replies: 2
Views: 145

Re: Old Sevylor kayak

Yeah thats an old surf shoe, a mate had one a bit like that with a forked tail instead of a fin.
by Jim
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:51 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Things you say to yourself when paddling...
Replies: 13
Views: 537

Re: Things you say to yourself when paddling...

I have a bad habit of telling myself off if something doesn't go to plan, this can apparently work against you in slalom when you do it loud enough for the judges to hear... I have found that if I want to keep my speed up over long distance it helps to keep counting to 4 or 8 and take each stroke on...
by Jim
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:41 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: I think I might paddle too much because....
Replies: 20
Views: 812

Re: I think I might paddle too much because....

That doesn't compute, surely home is also a paddling related place too? It's where I store and repair all my boats and dry my kit out.
I sometimes even sleep here, but I think that's purely a consequence of all my paddling gear being here.
by Jim
Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:48 pm
Forum: Sea Kayaking - Gear
Topic: Marking paddles
Replies: 10
Views: 624

Re: Marking paddles

Black permanent marker is a different shade to carbon, it shows up fine if you look for it, but is discrete if you aren't lookign for it.
by Jim
Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:36 am
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Pinkston - how does it work?
Replies: 7
Views: 474

Re: Pinkston - how does it work?

Your SCA membership includes 3rd party cover, that means if you injure someone else when paddling you have insurance to cover a claim they make against you. If you are paddling during a club session, the club needs to have insurance which covers them in case you get injured and have to make a claim ...
by Jim
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:28 pm
Forum: Sea Kayaking
Topic: Map Case recommondations?
Replies: 8
Views: 416

Re: Map Case recommondations?

Try Sealline HP map case, similar design to Ortileb but I have never found the velcro too tight to cause it to rip. I think the regular (not HP) map case has issues so make sure you are looking at the HP one.
http://www.summittosea.co.uk/sealline-hp-map-case.ir
by Jim
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:13 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Weight to boat volume
Replies: 11
Views: 528

Re: Weight to boat volume

Have heard a lot of people comment about having problems when near the top of the range for diesels, but I couldn't tell you which sizes or which model years. I don't think my weight has anything to do with why I have never really clicked with my burn, previous owner got on well with it and is proba...
by Jim
Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:59 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Pinkston - how does it work?
Replies: 7
Views: 474

Re: Pinkston - how does it work?

The membership is essentially to save on admin, previously you had to fill a form in every time you went to a park and play session, the membership means you only need to fill in the form once for the year and they can keep it on record. I think it is mandatory now. To be honest I haven't actually m...
by Jim
Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:22 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Faff
Replies: 19
Views: 1029

Re: Faff

Allt a Chaorainn. This is complex, some OC1 paddler friends were on Ken Hughes' creeking course followed by AWWSR followed by 5 star, but 1 wasn't doing the AWWSR, so I met up with them on the second day of the creeking course to paddle with him over the middle weekend. I knew they were on the Allt ...
by Jim
Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:05 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Faff
Replies: 19
Views: 1029

Re: Faff

Vorderrhein. Drop boats and us at Reichenau station (take out), run shuttle for the other half of the group on the Glenner (above the put in), back to Reichenau and get on the train, by which time apparently the tickets we bought for the boats had expired. Fortunately a C1 paddler from the kanuschul...
by Jim
Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:37 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Faff
Replies: 19
Views: 1029

Re: Faff

Verdon canyon. The shuttle took 3 hours, by which time those of us not driving had transcribed several copies of the river description so we wouldn't need to keep taking the guidebooks out of dry bags too much, and the pebble basketball had completely filled Neil's boat with pebbles. Thankfully the ...
by Jim
Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:24 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Faff
Replies: 19
Views: 1029

Re: Faff

You need access to a club trailer for this, be nominally responsible as the trip lead, and be paddling in a club where there is a variety of boats to choose from, in an era where boat design was starting to become radically different. 1) Endure a Saturday night social that ensures you and the minib...
by Jim
Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:25 pm
Forum: Sea Kayaking
Topic: Tandem tracking
Replies: 16
Views: 710

Re: Tandem tracking

+1
If your car was designed to have an anti-roll bar in the suspension you wouldn't expect it to handle properly (safely even) if you were to drive around with it removed...
by Jim
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:49 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Painting paddles
Replies: 5
Views: 310

Re: Painting paddles

Shouldn't be detrimental to the blades, just a waste of time especially using spray cans. something like a 2-pack PU or epoxy paint might last a while. I prefer my paddles to be light than to look good. Colin - we wrap polo boats in vinyl (well the decks), no reason it wouldn't work on a paddle blad...
by Jim
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Kayaking.. but not as we used to know it!
Replies: 26
Views: 1155

Re: Kayaking.. but not as we used to know it!

Good luck carving your T-Canyon Good luck finding your AQII More interested in remembering where my RPM ended up - can't think who I sold it to......that was a mint boat. Your first mistake was selling a boat! I part ex'ed one, and I gave away a damaged shell, all the others I still have :)
by Jim
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:02 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Kayaking.. but not as we used to know it!
Replies: 26
Views: 1155

Re: Kayaking.. but not as we used to know it!

roo wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:19 pm
Jim wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:51 pm
neonbowhawk wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:43 am
Good luck stern squirting your burn[emoji6]
Good luck wavewheeling your Braap....
Good luck carving your T-Canyon
Good luck finding your AQII
by Jim
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:51 pm
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Kayaking.. but not as we used to know it!
Replies: 26
Views: 1155

Re: Kayaking.. but not as we used to know it!

neonbowhawk wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:43 am
Good luck stern squirting your burn[emoji6]
Good luck wavewheeling your Braap....
by Jim
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:55 am
Forum: Whitewater and Touring
Topic: Kayaking.. but not as we used to know it!
Replies: 26
Views: 1155

Re: Kayaking.. but not as we used to know it!

chriscw wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:15 pm

Why do people ALWAYS seem to think that their kayaking videos need a music background.
Because the things we say whilst paddling are too embarrassing for public listening.