wobble factor

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, Surf, etc.

wobble factor

Postby littleyellowente » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:16 am

can anyone tell me what wobble factor a Plastex ares 390 is.
littleyellowente

Re: wobble factor

Postby Eliza Dolittle » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:14 am

A list of wobble factors here http://canoesouth.org/index.php?page=k1-stability your boat isn't on the list but it may help if someone says it is like a boat that is on the list. Note that wobble factors are only a guide and boat stability can also depend on your weight, seat height and how you feel on the day.
Eliza Dolittle

Postby welsh rich » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Either a 1 or a 2.
welsh rich

Postby chrism » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:06 am

Eliza Dolittle wrote:A list of wobble factors here http://canoesouth.org/index.php?page=k1-stability your boat isn't on the list but it may help if someone says it is like a boat that is on the list. Note that wobble factors are only a guide and boat stability can also depend on your weight, seat height and how you feel on the day.

I also reckon that list doesn't provide fine enough detail down at the wobbly end - I've paddled several factor 1 boats, and there are significant differences between their stability.
chrism

Postby welsh rich » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:32 am

Other factors especailly seat hight can have a massive effect on stability. The modern boats with platform seats all have fully adjustable seats, hight and angle. If a boat is too big for you it can also be a bit more "tippy"

rich
welsh rich

Postby chrism » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 am

welsh rich wrote:Other factors especailly seat hight can have a massive effect on stability. The modern boats with platform seats all have fully adjustable seats, hight and angle.

Though it's worth noting that all platform seats in racing boats (that I've come across) put you higher up than you can get with an old fashioned bolt to the bottom seat. I have a nice low moulded seat in my very tippy boat (it's far nearer 0 than 2) which does make a huge difference to the stability.
chrism

Postby michielv » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:33 pm

Another factor (for me at least) is the shape of the hull. My Accelero is a bit rounded and relatively forgiving. Last week I paddled a (Regatta copy of a) Nelo Vanquish and the flatter sides make the boat more susceptible to waves/chop coming from the side.

To make my Accelero more stable I plan to take out the platform seat and put a nice foam seat on the platform. If it doesn't work out I can always put the platform seat back in but I expect the slightly lower and way more comfy seat to be an improvement, both in stability and comfort.
michielv

Postby Eliza Dolittle » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:24 pm

welsh rich wrote:Other factors especailly seat hight can have a massive effect on stability. The modern boats with platform seats all have fully adjustable seats, hight and angle. If a boat is too big for you it can also be a bit more "tippy"

If you have a skinny,low volume boat then you sink more of it into the water and so the seat height relative to the water level is smaller than if you are in a wider boat.
Also, connectivity can make a difference.The moulded glass fibre seats in wide boats wrap around the sides of your bum giving more feedback, especially with edging whereas you feel you can fall off the side of a wooden or platform seat.

Just found this website which says it is a wobble factor 1 or "wooble" if you prefer http://www.kajakinfo.dk/Kapkajakker---wooble-1
Eliza Dolittle

Postby chrism » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Eliza Dolittle wrote:The moulded glass fibre seats in wide boats wrap around the sides of your bum giving more feedback

As mentioned above, I have a moulded wrap around seat in my narrow tippy boat (though it's carbon/kevlar ;) ) - I find it far more comfortable than the flat seats, and as you say better control, though arguably it does inhibit rotation a bit.
chrism

Postby Mike_M » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:09 am

Stability is very subjective and cannot really be described by a single number.

At our club we had two Stilleto K2's one labeled Canoe sport and one labeled by Baron they were both manufactured by Baron. Several people refused to paddle the Baron as it was far more wobbly?

I currently paddle a Nelo Vanquish wobble factor 2 however I find the boats with a wobble factor 9 /10 far more unstable.

Regards

Mioke
Mike_M

Postby JDW72 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:08 am

I have to agree with Mike. I happily pootle around (let's call it "winter base training" :-)) in my Knysna Stiletto X which I've been told is basically a Jaguar (stability 2) in disguise, without drama, but get me in a Tor (stability 6) and it's utter chaos.

Similarly, the club has a load of Hobbys (stability 8 maybe?) - and I find one of them a right handful to paddle but all the others are fine. I was discussing it with somebody the other day at the club and they said that they also find one of the Hobbys a real handful. Must be a rogue boat we thought and dug it out to have a look at it - turns out though it's two different boats!

Funny old sport in lots of ways,
JDW72
JDW72

Postby banburypaddler » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Or is it paddlers that should have a wobble factor? Judging by my efforts in the first 400 yards of the Hasler final, I'd be a 9. At best.
banburypaddler

Postby michielv » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:08 pm

JDW72 wrote:I have to agree with Mike. I happily pootle around (let's call it "winter base training" :-)) in my Knysna Stiletto X which I've been told is basically a Jaguar (stability 2) in disguise, without drama, but get me in a Tor (stability 6) and it's utter chaos.

Similarly, the club has a load of Hobbys (stability 8 maybe?) - and I find one of them a right handful to paddle but all the others are fine. I was discussing it with somebody the other day at the club and they said that they also find one of the Hobbys a real handful. Must be a rogue boat we thought and dug it out to have a look at it - turns out though it's two different boats!

Funny old sport in lots of ways,
JDW72

This may also due to something a friend of mine had with his Vajda Supersonic: his paddle was too short for him so he had to reach beyond his comfort limit to but the blade properly in the water. So it felt like his boat was really unstable whereas it was actually him leaning the boat out of balance that made things tippy. What also didn't help was the is quite a big bloke (1.98 cm or something) and he did barely fit in the cockpit. So his leg drive also pushed against the cockpit rim, unbalancing the boat.

When paddling an Epic Legacy he did not have the cockpit problems and after switching to a new, adjustable and longer wing paddle he felt a lot more stable. Though in the end he sold the Supersonic to buy an Epic 18X he is totally in love with ;-)

But it might be that your paddle is perfect for a smaller boat and the Hobby simply is too wide for you and that particular length of paddle?

Cheers,

Michiel
michielv

Postby Mike_M » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:56 pm

Michiel
I do not think paddle length is the reason. It is true that it harder to put weight on the blade in the wider boat.

I think it is probally that the wobble factor 9 / 10 boats do not move as expected when I shift my weight through the stroke.

Regards
Mike
Mike_M

Return to Competition