Which One - If all available...

Inland paddling

Which One - If all available...

Postby Daffers » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:35 pm

OK - Time to spend insurance money on a new shiny toy; Digital Waterproof Camera.

From spending most of tonight stuck infront of a monitor, mainly on this forum, I have garthered that there seem to be three main ones that you people seem to like.

Unfortunately, two of them seem to be either out of stock or no longer made.

These are the Sony DSC-U60, the Pentax Optio 33WR, which I think has now been super seeded by the Optio WPi, the latter being in available. Am I right in my thinking....

There is one posting by Douglas Wilcox that has quite possible put me off buying the Pentax Optio WPi.

So what do people think?

Or are there others out for for about £100-£200 that you think are better?
JP Lives Forever
Daffers

Postby Tom_Laws » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:44 pm

Keep an eye on Ebay and pic up a DSC U60. Superb, and lets you get really close to the action!

I only sold mine to fund a big camera with lots of buttons that lives in a Peli case.

Tom
Tom_Laws

Postby Daffers » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:01 pm

mendipmammoth wrote:Keep an eye on Ebay and pic up a DSC U60.

Yeah, missed out on one that ended 12th March.. :-(
JP Lives Forever
Daffers

Postby smallchilli » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:07 pm

Is this link on Juliens behalf Daffs?!!!

Gutted pikey!
smallchilli

Postby Jules » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:07 pm

I know where there is a Sony DSC U60. Unfortunately you might need some Scuba gear to get to it!!

Jules
Jules

Postby God » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:47 pm

I have scuba gear...
God

Postby Daffers » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:48 pm

Hehehe!

Didn't realise that was what you had Jules.... How did you losse it anyhow? Was your BA pocket open or something?

Hope you've had a nice Birthday Dan. Think you need to change your siginture now though ;-)
JP Lives Forever
Daffers

Postby buck197 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:39 pm

The words waterproof on cameras is used rather imaginatively by manufacturers when some are little more than splash proof. For a few hundred pounds (2 to 4) you are unlikely to get much of a guarantee on them keeping watertight. If buying from a store ask the salesperson direct questions like "what if water gets in the camera what will you do" "Take their name" "ask to see the guarantee". As an Engineer that works with deepwater cameras that cost ten of thousands of pounds that leak I'm sceptical about cameras in my own price range and their waterproofness. Whatever you settle on I would keep it in a waterproof box on the water and only take it when required. Treat it like its not waterproof and it will last longer.

Best of luck Daffers.
buck197

Re: Which One - If all available...

Postby Daffers » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:04 pm

Daffers wrote:These are the Sony DSC-U60, the Pentax Optio 33WR, which I think has now been super seeded by the Optio WPi, the latter being in available. Am I right in my thinking....

So what do people think?

Or are there others out for for about £100-£200 that you think are better?

Shamless Bump....

Am heading towards the Sony DSC-U60, though they are few and far between.... Any one selling??
JP Lives Forever
Daffers

Postby Unstabler » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:13 pm

I used to have the Optio 33wr which I found a good camera. I never got it more than damp though, keeping it in a dry box unless I was using it, and then doing all I could to keep it reasonably dry.

I now have a Canon Ixus with the additional waterproof case. This is a bit big and bulky, but I've used it while scuba diving with no leaks, and it has the advantage that you can take it out of the case to use on nights out when you want a nice small camera.

As the case is also design for scuba divers, all the controls are easy to use with cold hands.

However, it has no lens cap, so I have a neoprene sleeve I made for it for when I throw it in the bottom of the boat.

Another option to consider.
Unstabler

pentax wpi

Postby pete catterall » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:33 pm

I have the pentax wpi
used it for a month in ecuador great results, and then used it whilst snorkling in the galapagos again great results no problems with it being realy wet (submerged)

pete catterall
pete catterall

WPi

Postby nichburton » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:37 pm

Been using the WPi since Nov. Its certainly not perfect and I agree with many of DW's comments, but I'd still get it again if I had to. Its a well-featured 6mp camera that can do a good job both in & out of the water.

I've had no problems with water intake, including 10days big-water rinsing on the Nile and I've got a lot of use out of the movie-mode (currently trying to edit about 30mins worth from the Nile trip alone!).

The grease/water on the lens problem can be greatly reduced by constructing a neoprene "slipper" for it (old wetsuit shorts, scissors, evostik). Provides extra protection too.

If budget is an issue, get the older Optio WP (5mp). All the same features at a lower price; you're unlikely to notice the loss of 1mp.
nichburton

Postby ol » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:23 pm

Unstabler wrote:I used to have the Optio 33wr which I found a good camera. I never got it more than damp though, keeping it in a dry box unless I was using it, and then doing all I could to keep it reasonably dry.

Jeez, mine doesn't get such star-treatment. It lives in my BA pocket and has had infinite soakings at Hurley, HPP, Alps and the Nile. I also regularly use it as a boat-cam or BA-cam, mounted on a tripod on the front of my boat or gaffa taped to my chest. The worst I have ever had is a little condensation on the inside of the LCD. Left out in the sun with all the doors open and back to normal.

Great camera, shame they stopped making it.
ol

Postby SportyDave » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:12 pm

I have just bought a Pentax Optio WPi. Got it from Bristol Cameras (excellent service and price). Have taken it to the pool and tried it there, so far so good. No condensation etc. :)
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/page121.htm
SportyDave

Postby andy a » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:09 am

tescos are currently selling the optio wp (5mp) for £129
andy a

Postby Unstabler » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:07 am

ol wrote:
Unstabler wrote:I used to have the Optio 33wr which I found a good camera. I never got it more than damp though, keeping it in a dry box unless I was using it, and then doing all I could to keep it reasonably dry.

Jeez, mine doesn't get such star-treatment. It lives in my BA pocket and has had infinite soakings at Hurley, HPP, Alps and the Nile. I also regularly use it as a boat-cam or BA-cam, mounted on a tripod on the front of my boat or gaffa taped to my chest. The worst I have ever had is a little condensation on the inside of the LCD. Left out in the sun with all the doors open and back to normal.

Great camera, shame they stopped making it.

Yeah, I never said the camera needed to be treated like this, just that this was how I treated it. I'm absoloutly sure it can take a lot more water than I subjected it to (my mate has one he keeps in his BA pocket), but as a) I don't have a BA packet and b) this was my on and off the water camera, that has no lens cap, the dry box seemed like a good idea.
Unstabler

Postby The Drowned Fish » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:52 pm

tescos are currently selling the optio wp (5mp) for £129

Where? it doesn't appear on their website.
The Drowned Fish

Postby Daffers » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:08 pm

Yeah, I can only find the WPi ( http://www.tesco.com/electrical/product ... 002|Pentax ) on there - at a good price though I feel.
JP Lives Forever
Daffers

Pricerunner

Postby nichburton » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:32 pm

Always worth checking out Pricerunner. Best price for the Optio WPi is £166 delivered.
nichburton

pixmania

Postby guy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:17 pm

pixmania usually come up cheapest
and ig you do a google you can usually find a "discount code" to put in when you checkout
guy

Postby Phil@kukc » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:37 pm

We seem to have moved on from the actual cameras but thought I'd put my 2p in!

I've just got hold of a DSC U-60 not tried it on the water yet but all pics from land have been really good.

I've also had a play with the optios and I was paddling at the time. I found the small size mixed with cold hands to be a problem missed loads of shots because I was fiddling with the settings etc. Which is where the chunkyness and simplicity of the sony is better.

If you want to have a play with it I'll be taking it to NSR if your going.

Phil
Phil@kukc

Postby Daffers » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:41 pm

Phil@kukc wrote:If you want to have a play with it I'll be taking it to NSR if your going.Phil

Oh, I think I am going to the new date - will keep you in mind! :-)

Dafs
JP Lives Forever
Daffers

Postby NickB » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:38 pm

I thought I would paste across my 2 pence worth from the Sea and Surf site on the Pentax Optio WPi.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with some of Douglas' comments regarding the Pentax Optio WPi, I have one of these little beauties and for the use I intend to give it I think it fits the bill pretty well. Any camera will suffer from finger grease on the lens (or cover) if you touch it, yes we have noticed that it appears very easy to touch the cover but the touches become less with familiarity. We find the menu system very intuitive and easy to get around and adjust the basic settings of the camera. The tracking focus is a huge improvement on our previous digital compact for capturing moving objects, even with the subject(s) running around like mad the camera seems to lock on with the shutter half pressed and track their movement whilst adjusting the focus. We also found that the battery life was a massive improvement on the NiMH AA used in our previous camera, the lithium ion took over 500 kept shots (how many deleted I wonder?) over our month holiday, I think for 4/5 recharges.

We have not used the camera from a kayak yet but it has been to the beach and swimming without a problem. The thought of spending £100's on a camera and then letting sea water or sand get inside, just fills us with dread.

Not everyone wants to produce magazine quality pictures, for us wanting a small compact with a good level of water resistance and reasonable quality of photo for personal use this baby seems to fit the bill.

One thing that I do find frustrating is the lack of a viewfinder, in bright sun the screen can be difficult to see.
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!
NickB

Postby Steve B » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:12 pm

Daffers - don't forget here is a new Pentax waterproof, the W10. It's just starting to appear in the shops - e.g. purelygadgets online shop claims to have it in stock, £193. Info here: press release on dpreview but no review yet.
Steve Balcombe
Steve B

Postby Daffers » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:58 pm

Steve B wrote:Daffers - don't forget here is a new Pentax waterproof, the W10. It's just starting to appear in the shops - e.g. purelygadgets online shop claims to have it in stock, £193. Info here: press release on dpreview but no review yet.

Cheers Steve.. I might push the boat out and get it (hehe.) Little bit more than I think was first planned to spend, but hey, its only (Dads) money!
JP Lives Forever
Daffers

Return to Whitewater and Touring