Medway Trail help!

One blade only

Medway Trail help!

Postby KieranRM » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in a charity youth organisation (Sea Cadets) and our unit is running a 4 day expedition on the Medway trail on the long Queens Diamond Jubilee weekend. We have a little problem. We would like to be able to get around 8 or 9 canoes, but would not be able to take all 9 or so down to the Medway trail.

We would like to be able to hire some canoes, but as a youth organisation some of the prices (one company £60p/d + £35 every day after) are way out of the price range and would not be fair to make the cadets pay so much.

Can anyone help out with cheap canoe hire places? Has anyone paddled it as a large group?

Any help would be very grateful, thank you

Kieran,
KieranRM

Re: Medway Trail help!

Postby forestknights » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Contact Ed Bassett at EBAdventures. He maybe able to help. He is based on the Medway at Allington Lock.

email edbassettcanoe@aol.com
Know the wisdom of patience during times of inactivity.

www.forestknights.co.uk
forestknights

Postby KieranRM » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Thank you very much
KieranRM

Postby Eliza Dolittle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Have you tried asking if any of the other Sea Cadet units have canoes you can borrow?
Eliza Dolittle

Postby KieranRM » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Yes, Eastern area are offering canoes (I think it was 7), but we are just looking out for some closer places to the Medway trail.
Thank you very much for your help
KieranRM

Postby canoegnu » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi Kieran,

I supervised a bronze DofE expedition on the Medway last summer, for my son's Scout group. They were a group of six in touring kayaks. They did the trip from Tonbridge to Allington in two days, with loads of time to spare. They were paddling for about 3hours each day but made up the time by doing an invasive plant species survey.

If you're doing the same trip over 4 days, I'd recommend you have some additional activities up your sleeve, to fill the days out a bit.

Cheers,

Ian
canoegnu

Return to Canoeing