RIVER WASHBURN

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea

RIVER WASHBURN

Postby Mark R » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:11 am

Mark R
Site Admin

Washburn

Postby otherted » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:26 pm

The washburn has been added to over this summer. There are 2 new playholes right down at the bottom of the site. Just after the small hole/wave thingy theat used to mark the start of the flat section down to the road bridge. The top one of the 2 is good for ends and loops and all the way across.
otherted

Postby Jim Pullen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:56 am

I've got an update for this in the back log from when they had just started building the changes.
If you have any recent photos of the new bits please send them in.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!
Jim Pullen

Postby TomWardill » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Jim Pullen wrote:I've got an update for this in the back log from when they had just started building the changes.
If you have any recent photos of the new bits please send them in.

I'm there doing safety for the BUSA WWR at the end of this month, are you still after some updated photos?
Tom Wardill
TomWardill

Postby Jim Pullen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:45 pm

TomWardill wrote:I'm there doing safety for the BUSA WWR at the end of this month, are you still after some updated photos?

Yes, please! The Washburn was probably going to be the next update I was going to do, so will hold fire until you send the pics to me. Drop me a pm for an email address, rather than going through Mark.
Jim Pullen

Re: RIVER WASHBURN

Postby Jim Pullen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:14 pm

The Washburn Committee wrote:Here is the 2009 Calender of Washburn Events. Take note, the events in red may change. If there are changes we will try and update this calender ASAP.

All the best

Matt
Jim Pullen

Postby The Washburn Committee » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:55 pm

Just a quick update regarding a change spotted between published versions of the calendar.

The Washburn Committee wrote:
Rutpaddle wrote:Last Canoe Focus had 25th Jan as well - has that been cancelled?

Cheers, Jules

Not Sure on this one Rutpaddle. I will contact Esther and update here as I find out.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks for bringing this one to our attention Jules.

The release that was planned for the 25th of Jan had to be moved to the 1st Feb due to the individual expected to run it being unavailable. We are sorry if this has created any confusion. The current calender can therefore be considered accurate.

Hopefully having the calender available online here will enable us to keep on top of just such changes so that they have minimal impact on users of the Washburn.

All the best

Matt
The Washburn Committee

Re:

Postby like_a_UCK_to_water » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:49 pm

TomWardill wrote:BUSA
BUCS is the new name!
like_a_UCK_to_water

Postby Jim Pullen » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:50 pm

I haven't been to the Wasburn since all the new additions. Is all the work finished now? Can someone summarise exactly what has been added where. Any photos of the new features would also be useful for an update to the existing guide.

Thanks!
Jim Pullen

Postby Ricks-Freestyle-Mind » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:08 am

Jim Pullen wrote:I haven't been to the Wasburn since all the new additions. Is all the work finished now? Can someone summarise exactly what has been added where. Any photos of the new features would also be useful for an update to the existing guide.

Thanks!

The changes are great.

I'm not sure if works finished, I'm not in the know. It seems pritty much finished, theres no diggers on sight anyway!

Firstly of all, there is a much improved ramp for getting in. The river is the same up until the 'big drop'. The pool has become deeper, as they have backed up the pool below more. The feature is still flushy and not really many moves are possible. Eddy service isn't great, but with a quick role, you shouldn't have to many issues. About 70m down stream there is a new get out area with big-ish eddies either side of the river. From here down is where the changes are mainly. Theres new bigger eddies by certain features, and they have reated about 3/4 extra river wide features. One decent looping pool type drop and two other fast clean waves. Again eddy service isn't great, but thats just the style of river. I'm sure some of the ROHO boys or other decent freestyle paddlers will be able to give a better description of what the actual features are like for 'playboating'...there not deep enough to loop a Jefe Grande though ;-)

Check out this album. Use any if you like for the Guide Jim. Shows the section from the dam, to the 'big drop'.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... =554375622
Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Postby chief » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:05 pm

I heard a rumour that the Alpkit Plastic Fantastic event is no longer running - is that true? If its not will the water still be running for cruises?

Luce
chief

Postby Jim Pullen » Tue May 05, 2009 5:37 pm

Finally made it down to the Washburn this Sunday and was impressed with the new features. As Rick says there's at least 4 (maybe 5?) new river-wide features below the normal get-out for walking back up. These all seemed to be more playable than the features further upstream. Admittedly, I was only in a H3 and am completely rubbish at this play-boating marlarky, so surfing and flat-spins were pretty much all I achieved. At least one of the features seemed pretty deep as I managed to completely bury the nose and perform the biggest intentional pop-out I've ever achieved - sick(!)

With this and the barrage up-grade I may even be tempted to purchase a playboat...

Can I put in a request for a conveyor belt on the next upgrade please? Either that or a team of sherpas?
Jim Pullen

Postby The Washburn Committee » Thu May 07, 2009 8:44 pm

chief wrote:I heard a rumour that the Alpkit Plastic Fantastic event is no longer running - is that true? If its not will the water still be running for cruises?

Luce

Hello,

The Alpkit Plastic Fantastic Weekend is indeed cancelled. In place of this there will be a 9-5 release on the Sunday of that weekend. See the new calendar for updated details.

Ps - Jim, can you PM your email so I can send you the new PDF calendar?

Cheers

Matt
The Washburn Committee

Postby woodsy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:52 pm

Anyone know if the planned releasse for sunday 27 December is still going ahead?
The info line has not been updated as yet.
Cheers
Woodsy
woodsy

Postby lesf » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi

No the release on 27th Dec has been cancelled - due to the snow and ice making access to the car park impossible

Les
lesf

Postby Jim Pullen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:52 am

Jim Pullen

Postby snuggle_bunny » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Is there canoe access on fewston reservoir itself
snuggle_bunny

Return to England - Northeast