Valley Aquanaut HV RM vs Perception 17 essence^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...

Valley Aquanaut HV RM vs Perception 17 essence^

Postby asmar » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi all,

I've got the dead legs symptom with my existing kayak and I'm looking for a new one as I've tried everything without any luck.
My existing kayak is a Tahe marine Seaspirit to get an idea, check out its characteristics here: http://www.tahemarine.com/?module=Product&id=55

The problem seems to be my foot size (10 1/2 - 11). On Tahe and also on a Rainbow laser that I've tried the space is limited on the part near the feet and got the dead legs after a while.

However, I wont buy a fibreglass as my budget is lower than the cost of them. I've narrow down my options to those two; The Valley Aquanaut HV RM and the Perception 17 essence.
It seems that the Perception has more height in feet than the Valley.
I was wondering if anyone can give a piece of advise on those boats.

I'm 185cm tall, 85kg with 10 1/2 - 11 shoe size.

Any advise is really appreciated.

PS: I will paddle the kayak mainly in side winds so weather cocking is a critical factor.
asmar

Re: Valley Aquanaut HV RM vs Perception 17 essence

Postby swagstaff » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:50 pm

I have paddled both of them and they are very different boats. You really need to try them but they should both have plenty of room for you as they both comfortably fit people who are your height and 15kgs -20kgs heavier at least. The leg lifters on the Essence 17 might make all the difference if you suffer from numb legs.
Where are you based? Sea Kayak Oban definitely has both those to demo as well as many others.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG
swagstaff

Postby asmar » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:25 pm

swagstaff wrote:I have paddled both of them and they are very different boats. You really need to try them but they should both have plenty of room for you as they both comfortably fit people who are your height and 15kgs -20kgs heavier at least. The leg lifters on the Essence 17 might make all the difference if you suffer from numb legs.
Where are you based? Sea Kayak Oban definitely has both those to demo as well as many others.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Unfortunately I'm not in the UK and can't demo any of these. I'll go with the Perception as the leg lifters must make the difference as you mention.

swagstaff, can you briefly outline the differences on those boats from your experience?
asmar

Postby steveT » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi,
I owned a valley aquanaut hv rm last year and now paddle a perception essence. I too, suffered with dead legs and I tried absolutely everything with the valley boat. Since buying the perception essence 17 I have been on extended paddling sessions with no worries about dead legs, comfy seat and a roomy cockpit. I'm 6ft2 with size 11 feet and 34inch inside leg and it fits well, it even has a notch or two of room left on the footpeg rails!

However, I recently sat in a valley etain rm, a different design to the normal valley boats, cockpit appears to be a tad higher than the aquanaut and it felt very very nice, connected to the boat in all the right places. Perhaps worth having a look at one, its certainly going to be my next boat.

The other thing that valley have over perception is the fact that valley use 3 layer plastic, whereby perception use single layer rotomould. I do find my perception a bit more flexy than my old aquanaut, but its not bad to the point of being a problem. Just a trade off of price and fit I guess. Oh and the perception seems to swallow kit and still paddles well, a great load capacity for expeditions if that's what you are after.
steveT

Postby asmar » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks a lot for the replies. I finally bought and tested the Essence and is fine.

Cheers
asmar

Postby asmar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:41 pm

Just an update to those that might have same issue as I had with the dead legs syndrome.
The Perception is superb in comfort, no dead legs at all even after 3 hours non-stop paddling. It is however a little bit slower than my previous fibreglass kayak.
asmar

Postby nigelhatton » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:52 pm

I have recently added a 3 piece Valley Aquanaut HV carbon/kevlar to my fleet. I haven't paddled it yet but you have me a little worried as I have size 11 shoes and 6'2 ish and 97 kilos. Does the plastic version have a different seat system to what's in mine?
I may get away with putting some foam padding over the seat if it's a problem.
nigelhatton

Postby Scots_Charles_River » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:44 pm

nigelhatton wrote:I have recently added a 3 piece Valley Aquanaut HV carbon/kevlar to my fleet. I haven't paddled it yet but you have me a little worried as I have size 11 shoes and 6'2 ish and 97 kilos. Does the plastic version have a different seat system to what's in mine?

I have paddled a club plastic HV Valley Aquanaut for 2hrs non stop, and I'm 6 ft and size ten feet. Very comfy.

My mate bought a cheap lidl woman's bike seat cover, gel. He says it makes a huge difference laid on top of the foam seat.
Scots_Charles_River

Postby asmar » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:08 am

nigelhatton, I've never paddled before the Valley and can't comment on it. From what I've read it has a little bit less space than the Perception. I've also read somewhere on a forum that a guy had dead legs issues with that too. This is what make me not buying the Valley Aquanaut as I was really like that boat.

I've paddled so far the following models:

Tahe seaspirit
Tahe marine fit
Rainbow Laser

and all of them gave me dead legs after a while (~20-30 minutes).

Note that with the seaspirit I tried everything. Replace the seat with minicell foam, add foam in braces, hip pads and a new back rest and none solve the problem. It was much better (from 20 minutes I went up to 45 without getting the dead legs) but still not enough and spend many hours outfitting and trying different things. At the end I gave up.

With Perception is like been into a different sport! So much space but good contact with the kayak and a great seat with leg lifters. 11 shoe size is no problem at all for this kayak.

The seat is completely different to Valley. This is how it looks the seat:

nigelhatton wrote:I have recently added a 3 piece Valley Aquanaut HV carbon/kevlar to my fleet. I haven't paddled it yet but you have me a little worried as I have size 11 shoes and 6'2 ish and 97 kilos. Does the plastic version have a different seat system to what's in mine?
asmar

Postby Scots_Charles_River » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:25 pm

I think it's pinching/squashing the bum if you have a non padded seat. That makes the nerves/bloodstream cut off to the legs.
Scots_Charles_River

Postby nigelhatton » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:15 pm

Scots_Charles_River wrote:I think it's pinching/squashing the bum if you have a non padded seat. That makes the nerves/bloodstream cut off to the legs.

When I was marathon paddling my butt would be dead after the 8 miles. My Rapier 20, kayakpro vampire and this new xp 18 thing kill my butt too. My old Carolina and a few other boats all had padding and were much more comfortable. The XP 18 is OK but I have lost muscle and fat from my behind due to the Sept collision and that makes my cocyx painful when sat in it.

This weekend I will bolt the Aquanaut together and go for a trip on the Dart at Totnes and find out how the seat feels. I did once consider an Essence 17 but I love rudders too much. This will be my last attempt at kayaking before my next operation so I'll pad the seat if needed.

Would it be possible to put leg lifters into my Aquanaut?
nigelhatton

Postby simon64 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:05 pm

The above picture of the perception seat shows the horrible touring backrest fitted to the Expression, the Essence comes with a much more conventional backband, as does the expression if you order it with one, as I did.
Northshore Ocean 17
Wavesport Ethos 9
simon64

Re: Valley Aquanaut HV RM vs Perception 17 essence^

Postby ruralweb » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:49 pm

I have an Essence 17 and can confirm its comfort levels - I can paddle for 10 hours a day with no problems at all. I am 6ft 6 with size 12 feet and I fit in with plenty of room to spare.
ruralweb

Postby asmar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Just from curiosity, does anyone knows if the Perception seat can be bought separately and fitted in any sea kayak?

ruralweb, have you find any solution for the leg lifter to avoid dropping down from its position? The standard slings doesn't stay where is supposed to stay.
asmar

Postby ruralweb » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:04 am

Never had a problem with the leg lifter, I adjusted it the first time out and I've not had to touch it since then. if its a new kayak I would give perception a call and get them to send you a new one. I spoke to perception a couple of weeks ago a out how comfortable the seat was and the said that they had spent lots of time designing it as so many kayaks had seat that gave people problems and ruined thier paddling.
ruralweb

Postby MikeB » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:47 am

nigelhatton wrote: I have lost muscle and fat from my behind due to the Sept collision and that makes my cocyx painful when sat in it.

Is this the same collision you asked us to remove a thread about Horis / Nigel? Dont you think it would be a good idea to stop referencing it under your Nigel Hatton alias? Especially as you'd wanted the original thread removed in case it prejudiced your legal case? You can t have it both ways.
MikeB

Postby asmar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:58 pm

ruralweb wrote:Never had a problem with the leg lifter, I adjusted it the first time out and I've not had to touch it since then. if its a new kayak I would give perception a call and get them to send you a new one. I spoke to perception a couple of weeks ago a out how comfortable the seat was and the said that they had spent lots of time designing it as so many kayaks had seat that gave people problems and ruined thier paddling.

ruralweb, can you send please a photo of your seat showing how the sling is located underneath the seat?
It might missing something from my seat as wherever I'm doing a wet exit for example the sling loose and can't be adjusted easily while been inside the kayak.

Thanks
asmar

Return to Sea Kayaking