Dams Exhibition

Inland paddling

Dams Exhibition

Postby SwamP » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:55 pm

Ok so there's a cheeky wee post again about dams going on...again.

We, as a group, do well voicing our opinions as kayakers of why we're against dams. IMO that opinion is valid and important but does it result in anything productive?

One thing I see on this forum is how many knowlegable and talented photographers there are...so just coming out with it.

I want to set up a travelling exhibition consisting large beautiful landscape photographs. Each photograph will be dominant in the room but below will be a short story of the area, history and future construction proposals. This will result in the audience realising that what they are looking at will never be in it's unspoilt condition again...

- Locations: We need a location list of the most important/photogenic locations in Scotland/UK that are to be impacted by hydro-elec developments.

- Photographs: Everyone's a photographer these days; which is awesome. I'd like anyone who likes this idea to help out. Photograph and edit your photographs and get in touch.

- Priniting: If this does come off the ground we'll need a printer. I use Pyramid Imaging or Loxely but if anyone owns a printing company and would like to help that would be great.

- Framing: Historically in all of my exhibitions I haven't used frames as they've been mounted on PVC. But I'm open to opinions.

- Venues: I use three locations in Edinburgh for my exhibitions...however Glasgow, Inverness, Ayr and Newcastle are obvious candidates so if anyone can help with good economic (free) options please come on board.

- Audience: The most important part. All "Outdoor Sports" clubs, friends, families, environemtal consultancies and of course the media. All photographs will go on to my website and therefore be viewed by my clients and there clients...i.e. BEP, Energy Action Scotland,Renewable Device Solution, EAGA, Envirowise etc.

This is very much just the begining but hey, if it can be done well then why not and it certainly has some potential....

Thoughts/Suggestions/Help...all welcome, but be gentle I'm just trying to do something more than chat about it on a forum.

Ryan

Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.
SwamP

Re: Dams Exhibition

Postby Mark R » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:20 pm

That ... is a good idea.

Who are the intended audience, i.e. whose thinking are you trying to sway?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK
Mark R
Site Admin

Postby c.blyth » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:29 pm

If you do this, contact some national newspapera for journalist to stir some trouble up....As they do
c.blyth

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:08 pm

c.blyth wrote:If you do this, contact some national newspapera for journalist to stir some trouble up....As they do

I suspect that trouble is not what Ryan is after, rather a degree of realisation of what will happen if the dams were built.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE

Joshua Kelly
I Can Has Blog!
TheKrikkitWars

Postby c.blyth » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:22 pm

Ezactly- meaning it will get a wider viewing= More public attention= Making someone act about it.
c.blyth

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:26 pm

c.blyth wrote:Ezactly- meaning it will get a wider viewing= More public attention= Making someone act about it.

Presented in a confrontational way by an agressive or sensationalist news media; the public will dissmiss or condemn it out of hand; causing much fail all round.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE

Joshua Kelly
I Can Has Blog!
TheKrikkitWars

Postby Mark R » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Serious question - what is the significance of the choice of the colour red?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK
Mark R
Site Admin

Postby c.blyth » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:43 pm

Mark R wrote:Serious question - what is the significance of the choice of the colour red?

I felt like a change from the usual black. I feel it lightens the forum up :)
c.blyth

Postby c.blyth » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:44 pm

TheKrikkitWars wrote:
c.blyth wrote:Ezactly- meaning it will get a wider viewing= More public attention= Making someone act about it.

Presented in a confrontational way by an agressive or sensationalist news media; the public will dissmiss or condemn it out of hand; causing much fail all round.

Krikkit! DOnt be so negative. Even if it got a small mention it would widen the eye of the public and many outdoor enthausiasts (Y)
c.blyth

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:00 pm

c.blyth wrote:
TheKrikkitWars wrote:

Krikkit! DOnt be so negative. Even if it got a small mention it would widen the eye of the public and many outdoor enthausiasts (Y)

Contrary to the well known Meme, All publicity is not good publicity, not where british tabloid journalisim is involved.

What Ryan wants to create is a truely jaw droppingly clever idea, and the derision of even one tabloid newspaper could ruin its impact in the wider public.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE

Joshua Kelly
I Can Has Blog!
TheKrikkitWars

Postby c.blyth » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:43 pm

Use Broadsheet then! E.g Daily Telegraph!
c.blyth

Postby peakfreak » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:50 pm

So what is the counter argument to this? Or are we going to be so single minded as not to offer an alternative. If we go all out and say Kayakers are against Dams, without offering a balanced argument then how can we expect to be taken seriously.

Ryan - My wife has her own gallery and framing business, probably not as grand a scale as Edinburgh but I am sure she would be willing to offer some wallspace for a period of time.
peakfreak

Postby Bruce Jolliffe » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:05 pm

That is one of the most positive ideas I have heard on the hydro debate in a long time. Well done Ryan it sounds like the kind of event that could really move things into the public's awareness. I'll ask some friends who work in events management about venues and ideas if you like.
Bruce Jolliffe

Postby SwamP » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Journalists - Kofi Annan was interviewed recently by the Scotsman newspaper on the grounds that he was not asked about the the SNP leader...of course, this was the key question the journalist asked. I was on TV recently discusing the UK's first organics composting and anearobic digestion plant and collections initiative and the journalist on and off air was fantastically excited and helpful about the new enterprise.

Bottom line with journalists is that they just need a story and will push whatever positive or negative angle they can find.

So to clarify, I don't feel the idea should be done with intent to sway anyone. I don't feel that it should be done as an arguement thus resulting in a counter arguement. I really just feel that if you plant the seed people with come to their own opinion.

Mark, thanks. The audience is of course key and not just something that should be answered by saying everyone.

Audience: forums, clubs, mags, websites, sports halls. Kayaking, mountain biking, surfing, windsurfing, kite surfing, fell running, hill walking, climbing, snow sports, etc etc. All to be sub divided, targetted and contacted.

Photographers: All photographers will be credited. All photographs will be exhibited on my liquidimpact website. No money will be given to anyone; any money generated at any time for any reason will go to a charity of the collective photographerS choice. And yes I know that by having the photographs on my website I'm publicising my photography, if people are displeased with this we can look at an alternative option...I just like the name liquid impact and my site has unlimited capacity for photographs and a shopping basket facility should we go down that road...again for costs and charity...TBC.

So again to clarify: A lot of beautiful photographs of rivers and countryside that will be changed long term via hydro dams. No arguements, opinions, negativety allowed. Show facts and plant the seed for others to do their own research....allow people to be intelligent.

Anyone got a listing of all dam project proposed for Scotland/UK?

Once we have this we can get to taking some photographs while we're scouting dry rivers over the coming months.

Love the positivity chaps and 'girls' ;o)

AAARRRGGGHHH my woman is making me watch girls of the playboy mansion noooooooooooooo I can't concentrate!
SwamP

Postby neilfarmer » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:19 pm

Ryan P wrote:Anyone got a listing of all dam project proposed for Scotland/UK?

You can have a look at this page: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Busin ... s-Database
Achieved by going here: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Busin ... y-Consents
clicking on the last-right option, "search applications" and putting in hydro.....

However, it appears to be out of date, as the Urlar burn in Aberfeldy, has I believe, had the local authority grant permission.
Neil Farmer.
neilfarmer

Postby SwamP » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:38 am

Awesome, thanks Neil!

So without payin any attention to the status there are 40 rivers on that list for Hydro.

These include Invervar, Keltny Burn, Falloch and Fionn Ghlinne to name a few.

I'll get these drawn up on a map for photographers (anyone interested) to print off and keep in their car. Should you be in the area and fancy taking an amazing photo you'll know where they are.

For those photographers who have a great photo that could do with a little editing but may not have the knowledge or software please feel free to send it over to myself or other volounteers.

Ryan

PS at work just now so will look at those links more closely later Neil. Thanks again!
SwamP

Postby David Fairweather » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:02 pm

This is a genuinely positive idea. I'll be sure to try and visit some of the rivers on the list next time I am heading north.

It would also be worth including photographs of existing dam projects to provide some contrast. The two pictures of the Fechlin in the Scottish guidebook are particularly sobering.
David Fairweather

Postby RichA » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Great idea, but as already said make sure we aren't portrayed as anti-green or whatever people call it. It might also be a good opportunity to get other water users and general outdoorsy people on board. Walkers, fishermen, even artists! The way you phrase it is that these people are the audience. Maybe get them involved as well? Hard work organising that though.

If you get a map drawn up that would be excellent and I'll make a point of visiting a few. What sort of time scale are you looking at for this? All photographs done by end of summer for example?
RichA

Postby clarky999 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:26 pm

Are we focusing on Scotland here, or the UK in general?
Matt Clark
Instagram / Vimeo
clarky999

Postby SwamP » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:51 pm

Clarky, I started saying Scotland/UK…but you know what for me to find out enough about what’s happening in England, Wales and Eire it just ain’t gonna happen. Not to mention the number of photographs would be immense as would the printing/framing costs.

Is it worth it for that? Well NOT to spur an argument but would Scottish public care as much about English or Northern Irish River? I’m not sure and the result may be just to dilute it slightly. I’d rather keen it personal for maximum passion…but what do you think?

RichA, I‘ve always believed in play the hand you’re dealt. And I can’t paint worth $£!t.

Other types of art are good but then you start to get into the interpretation of the scene as opposed to the actual scene itself photographed artistically. Not to put down artists but it’s a can of works that I personally don’t wanna open….if you’re an artist however go for it. Exhibitions are easy to set up and very rewarding!

Timescale; I have no idea on this if I’m honest. End of summer would be great but don’t things just look so amazing in winter too…it’s a toughy! Perhaps WE shouldn’t answer this at this time as at the moment there is no WE established as such…moving quickly in that direction though 

Others: I don’t fish, walk, canoe etc. I’d love others to contact me and have one central contact point such as mark’s UKRGB but I’m not sure such a thing exists in many other sports. Therefore it’s much easier to tackle it ourselves and harness it should it grow.

Growth: yes of course if successful we’ll be pitching this to the likes of National Geographic; but for now lets sort the foundations.

Vision
Substance
Planning
Target
Launch
Goal

That type of idea. i.e. not being too premature with things…a problem many of us have ;o) haha

I think it’s important to have this kind of questioning and constructive debating but most importantly…

Is this moving forward? It’ll be important to ask this question a lot along the progression…
SwamP

Postby SwamP » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:09 pm

Sorry one other point worth making which I just mentioned to Fleming in an email.

I don’t want us to shout about this as kayakers for one reason; kayakers are just a small group. Tiny! People don’t even know what kayaking is and still ask “is that the canoe thing I did at school”.

Like it or loath it, to N-Power and the like, we are just internet chumps who float on water in stupidly priced plastic barrels.

Plant this seed and let others, from other sports, back grounds, events companies, media spaces make their OWN mind up and we may just reach someone with more clout than a bunch of weekend warriors who put the Morriston or the Garry as their favourite rivers…

Shout at someone they won’t listen, tell them something and they’ll forget, let them realise something as their own original thought and they’ll be passionate about it….I reckon.
SwamP

Postby Robson » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:21 pm

I'm not great with my camera, but next time I'm up in Scotland I'll sure have a go.

Excellent Idea Ryan, good to see a commited, positive approach, with sound ideas to back yourself up.
Can't think of anything to say in less than 50 cha
Robson

Postby clarky999 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:51 pm

I was just curious Ryan - keeping it smaller and focused on Scotland will probably keep the whole project more focused. Maybe one of the main points you could use it for is just to alter the public perception of dams being 'green' and environmentally friendly: I think many people hear renewable energy and just assume that it's better for the environment, without thinking through what a dam actually does to a river.
Matt Clark
Instagram / Vimeo
clarky999

Postby neilfarmer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:00 pm

The upper Kinglas, Argyll, before the Weir intake.

After.......
Neil Farmer.
neilfarmer

Postby SwamP » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:28 pm

Falls of Unich look good! Anyone know if they're too shallow?

Anyway gays and gals; these are just rough locations and if anyone wants to get out and about with their camera then it could be great...I've pretty much already decided to take loads of the locations myself too...but I'd love for someone to do a better job and get their photograph exhibited around the country.

Oh also, depending on the success of this wee thingy I think it would also be a good idea to get say 20ish volunteers to take on a river and area each; looking at all the area's history, wildlife, other details just to see if there is anything of interest...quite a wee bit of history in our wee hills you know.

Anyway take it easy duuuuudes ;o)
SwamP

Postby sam w » Fri May 01, 2009 1:19 pm

A great idea!

I definately think a before and after shot can have a powerful impact.

Are we just looking at UK? or would you be interested in worldwide images?
sam w

Postby Poke » Fri May 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Not directly relevant, but in Turkey in '07, we saw this poster up in Yusufeli (the town in the photo on the right) and an "artists representation" of the same photo once the dam is in place:

Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures
Poke

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri May 01, 2009 1:59 pm

RE: Kinglass, We went to run it at easter and got chased off (well asked not to use the river) by some construction workers; They appear to already be making preparations for building the dam (tempory road up the river bank etc.)
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE

Joshua Kelly
I Can Has Blog!
TheKrikkitWars

Postby SwamP » Fri May 01, 2009 4:48 pm

sam w wrote:A great idea!

I definately think a before and after shot can have a powerful impact.

Are we just looking at UK? or would you be interested in worldwide images?

Hey Sam just realised who/where you are...tell Tayto I say hello.

I was aiming for it just to be Scotand/UK...however I'm such a fan of what you, Ben Jung, etc etc have achieved in terms of publicity in Africa and I'd be hapy to exhibit anyting appropriate you have.

Hold on for just now though, I was out visiting some venues today and have said to them also that I want this to sprout some legs and possibly be more than a one man band before I go committing myself....we wouldn't want me making a fool of myself now would we....again haha
SwamP

Postby Gavers » Fri May 01, 2009 8:08 pm

TheKrikkitWars wrote:RE: Kinglass, We went to run it at easter and got chased off (well asked not to use the river) by some construction workers; They appear to already be making preparations for building the dam (tempory road up the river bank etc.)

Weird you got chased off... Seeing as there already is two dams on the river. Are they building another one?

Gav =)
Paddle like AARDVARK!!
Gavers

Next

Return to Whitewater and Touring