How to dry out a Pentax Optio WR33

Inland paddling

How to dry out a Pentax Optio WR33

Postby Westy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:36 pm

Had a slight mishap with my camera over the weekend. It although it's only water-resistant, it's been dunked before. Got dunked on Saturday and appears to have let in some water - maybe I didn't click the battery compartment closed properly.
Anyway after several days with compartments open it still isn't working, and I can still see some water in the lense.
Anyone have any ideas or experience on how to dry out completely? Or is it knacked?
Westy

Postby Mark R » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:38 pm

Store it packed alongside silicone gel packs, perhaps?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK
Mark R
Site Admin

Postby john smith » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:47 pm

I dropped a pager down the toilet in the summer. I left it in my super red hot car and it worked for about 6 months.

I fear it may be beyond repair.
john smith

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:17 pm

Mine is definitely water -resistant, not waterproof!

Last time I noticed condensation inside the lens (!) I opened the battery and connection covers and left it sitting above a radiator for a day or so. Seemed to do the trick!

Previous occasion, I followed the instructions given in a post here in February or thereabouts 2005 (have just failed to find it in a search) to remove the case and dry out. In essence, there are four or five screws which need removal, most of which are under the rubber 'corners' of the case. The only issues are that it is not necessary to remove all of the screws which you can see - and IIRC there are two sizes of screw! Once you have removed the relevant screws, the case seperates into two pieces and can be removed from the innards for air drying/polishing of lens cover/screen and anything else you deem necessary.

Good luck!

Dave Thomas

ps (edit) just noticed that yours isn't working. Mine was OK on that score - just misting inside the lens cover and screen and a few small droplets of water on the case. So you may be unlucky, but give it a try (you have little to lose!) Again, good luck!!
Dave Thomas

Postby benjamin » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:13 pm

Dont switch it on - In my experience if you have switched it on whilst the components are damp then the short circuits will occur and components will break.

Open it up let it dry out properly then try it, if it doesn't work I think there is little else you can do! Watch the seals when opening it.

Good luck
benjamin

Postby andyw » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Dave Thomas wrote:Previous occasion, I followed the instructions given in a post here in February or thereabouts 2005 (have just failed to find it in a search) to remove the case and dry out.

That was me! Getting the lid off is simple - just remove the rubber corners and undo the screws underneath, plus there's one on the base and another next to the memory card slot. Once you're inside there are two screws holding the assembly into the case - you'll need a long thin screwdriver.

Andy (Hugh T's mate)
andyw

Postby Mark R » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:44 pm

For God's sake, cut the green wire and not the red wire first!

Or was it the other way around?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK
Mark R
Site Admin

Postby Bod » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:19 am

Ben made the most important point which was to say don't switch it on, also remove any form of power (batteries I guess!) as soon as possible because not all electronic equipment is truly 100% off when switched 'off'. If you then make sure it is completely dry as above it should be OK.

I dropped our house phone in the garden pond on Sunday and it is fine now!
John B.
Bod

Postby phat gav » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:36 am

So what is peoples view on these pentax waterproof cameras? Are they sufficiently waterproof for paddling or are incidents like these common place?
phat gav

Postby Westy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:39 am

Thanks everyone for their advice (and Mark for the humour!!). I have tried to switch it on prior to being advised not to, so perhaps too late to salvage the camera. Pity, as it's been really good. Will try the dismantling option anyway as someone pointed out I have nothing to lose.
Thanks again, Steve.
Westy

Postby Steve B » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:34 am

phat gav wrote:So what is peoples view on these pentax waterproof cameras? Are they sufficiently waterproof for paddling or are incidents like these common place?

They are properly waterproof, but there is a design issue with the battery compartment cover on the 33WR, it's too easy to open it accidentally. I don't own one but I've read that in so many places now, I'm sure it must be accurate.
Steve Balcombe
Steve B

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:58 am

Bod wrote:I dropped our house phone in the garden pond on Sunday and it is fine now!

Sunday? You mean it bounced off the ice without breaking?!!

Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

Postby Westy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:10 pm

Gav, mines is a water resistant (WR) camera. It's class 7, which means it should survive being submerged for up to 30 mins in 1m of water. One of the guys had it in his BA pocket and rolled on the Upper, would be surprised if enough water pressure was within the pocket to cause this problem, I can only think that I hadn't clicked the battery compartment shut properly.
One of the other guys in our group has a Pentax Optio WP (water-proof) which he has carried in his BA pocket many times without any problems.
If mine is knackered I will go for a WP version next time. Notwithstanding this last incident, I've been very happy with it.
Westy

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:31 pm

Westy wrote:If mine is knackered I will go for a WP version next time. Notwithstanding this last incident, I've been very happy with it.

Check out Douglas Wilcox's comments on the wp - frequently on the Sea board, but also (and most recently) here.

I'm not convinced that my 'wr' meets the specified standard - I don't think it is failure to close a comparrtment that leads to ingress. The first occasion was a prolonged swim with the camera dangling free in the water (sitting in an eddy with viewfinder glued to eye - didn't notice being circulated out of the top of the eddy!). Not sure about the second. But it does seem to survive rolls/swims/general wetness OK when insulated from the force of the water flow by being in my BA pocket.

Dave Thomas

edit; meant 'wr' in second paragraph , and put 'wp' - which would have been highly misleading!
Last edited by Dave Thomas on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Thomas

Postby briman » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:32 pm

phat gav wrote
So what is peoples view on these pentax waterproof cameras? Are they sufficiently waterproof for paddling or are incidents like these common place?

I've got the WPi and it's been down the Upper Dart in the pocket of my BA (string vest type pocket). works fine and gives good results, though I keep mine in a neoprene crumpler case which is the ss70 I think. A firend has the WP and used it at mile end mill with good results.
Both had had full immersion in the water and continued to work fine. As with any battery, they tend to fade when cold but mine will record about 20+ minutes of video on a 1gb card (note this isn't designed to be an out and out video camera, but gives some reasonable results).

Cheers,

Bri
briman

Broken 33wr

Postby guy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:33 pm

I have got a 33wr but broke the lcd screen while climbing (the outer glass is fine)

So I need a replacement, if anyone has a broken camera please let me know.

Westy, I too had the battery cover pop open while it was in my ba pocket
but 6 hours on the radiator with the back off dryed it out fine.
guy

Re: Broken 33wr

Postby JMT » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:45 pm

guy wrote:Westy, I too had the battery cover pop open while it was in my ba pocket
but 6 hours on the radiator with the back off dryed it out fine.

On top of the caravan light fitting overnight as I recall, but it did the trick.
Keep pushing for fair access to all rivers (or better still, just go and paddle them!).

Mike Tinnion
JMT

Postby JMT » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:52 pm

I have the Optio WP, which is totally waterproof and also has underwater mode. Something like 1 metre for up to 30 mins is fine. Video quality is not as good as the Option WR, which is annoying.
Keep pushing for fair access to all rivers (or better still, just go and paddle them!).

Mike Tinnion
JMT

Postby Randy Fandango » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:28 pm

I bought the Optio 33WR like everyone else when they were going for £99.00 and its been brilliant:
I've swum (deliberately!) over right angle falls with it in my BA pocket, taken it snorkelling down to about 4 or 5 metres in the med and had it in my pocket for virtually every bit of ww paddling I've done since I bought it and its been totally waterproof.
As said before, just beware of its battery and lead covers sliding open in a BA pocket.
Randy Fandango

Postby Westy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:45 pm

Bit late Randy, it was the first time I had carried it in my BA pocket, and I suspect what you have warned against has happened!!
I'll try taking apart as someone explained earlier, otherwise it looks like I need a new camera. Ho hum.
Westy

Postby Randy Fandango » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:59 pm

Westy wrote:Bit late Randy,

Sorry about that! I was having one of those "its Friday so my brain's switched off" moments.
Still, taking it to bits will be quite fun and you never know: it might even work!
Good luck with that.
Giles
Randy Fandango

Postby ol » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:06 pm

Randy Fandango wrote:As said before, just beware of its battery and lead covers sliding open in a BA pocket.

A little bit of Ducktape sorts this out before you go paddling. Job done.
33WR all the way.
ol

Postby Westy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:43 pm

Good news! Following andyw's instructions I dismantled my camera, left to dry over the weekend, put it back together this evening and, hey presto, it works. Thanks to everyone for advice, especially andyw. I will gaffer the battery and cable compartments in future!
Westy

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:52 pm

Excellent!

Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

Return to Whitewater and Touring