Steepest?

Inland paddling

Postby cswalker » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:06 pm

Of course, the Haffes. Bloody sheep fences to!

Always pondered about walking in, ditching my boat and running away muttering excuses of I must go and see the old Lancaster bomber remains on top of the mountain....

Once was by far and away enough and even that was too much.
cswalker

Haffes

Postby chris s sladden » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:00 am

There are a number of super hard spate runs in the area Chris.

The Haffes is the hardest though the upper upper Clydach is pretty mean- Tim Davies and crew all took a swim down this, though to be fair Tim did have a swimmer on the front and back of his boat at the time. He is a decent fellow- I'd certainly have turfed them off!

Actually Tim did a super high run on the Nant y Gwair-which was apperently a grade harder than I had put it down for which is a turn upfor the books!

You are right about those fences on the Haffes- extremely nasty! During the last few years of my boating in Wales I always carried good wire clippers with me and snipped a number of fences- though I tried to avoid bona fide sheep fences!

You did well to catch it up- doesn't happen very often. When did you manage to get a blast down?

If I ever get fit enough again and were in the area I'd love to have another go! Probably all be graded class III-IV by then so I won't feel as intimidated!

Chris
chris s sladden

Postby Mark R » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:48 am

cswalker wrote:Of course, the Haffes.

The Haffes doesn't count as a river, I've seen it. It's a scree slope.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK
Mark R
Site Admin

Postby cswalker » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:25 am

Fair comment. Its a river when its got water in though, kind of..
cswalker

Postby cswalker » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:32 am

Lower Prysor or Goedal? Decided the Cynfal is out, too many portages!
cswalker

Postby Dan Mahon » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 pm

I'll need some help with the name but having gone up and looked at it today it was high, steep and 2km long (according to the SCA guidebook). I don't have a map for the area otherwise I'd have checked myself.

It's the trib which runs into the River Coe at the spectacular falls next to the newly built bridge and must be a contender. It looked like it's been plucked from Norway!

Just out of interest and for those who know what I'm on about, how high up can it be run from and have they ALL been done?? That'd take some big ones, especially at today's level.
Dan
Dan Mahon

Postby neilfarmer » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:30 pm

I think that you mean the 'allt Lairig Eilde'.
Comes in above the 'meeting of 3 waters' as a river left branch.

If so, yes, I think all of it has been run.
You get in at a large 4 tier fall (last one is narrow and has a right hand turn at the base). Then a 2 tier waterfall, a very narrow slot in a tight 1-2m wide chasm, a rocky slide and a BIG waterfall, landing in a narrow pool where the river turns 90degrees left. A few more drops and back to the top of the meeting of 3 waters. I believe the waterfall was run by Paul Steel and Jamie Wright a while back, I shall ask them. I'll see if I can get some photos.

Must go back up, the day we did go up, I thankfully left my drysuit in Glasgow, thank god!

The 1:50000 map seems to show ... 360m to 240m in about 1.5km. Need to take Jim up there with his camera and GPS device.....
Neil Farmer.
neilfarmer

Postby Dan Mahon » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:41 pm

Yep that's the one!
After having looked it up and down I'm not quite sure I can lay the entire blame for my being soaked through on just the rain..... it was one scary piece of water. It'd be interesting to see the levels it's ran at compared to today's effort.
Dan Mahon

Previous

Return to Whitewater and Touring