Artle Beck

North of the Severn drainage, west of the Pennines

Artle Beck

Postby Lancs_lad » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Last edited by Lancs_lad on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lancs_lad

Re: ARTLE BECK

Postby Jim Pullen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:47 pm

Thanks for the info Lancs_Lad - looks like a fun run!

Any chance in writing it up as a UKRGB-style guide (Where is it, put-ins/take-outs, length, time, access, level indicators, grade, major hazards/falls, general description and other notes)? If you do I can put it up on the site as a full guide.

Now the northern backlog is cleared, I'm actively seeking new guides - I've made a list for the northeast section, but there are scores of possible new guides for the northwest - just look at WWLD!

If anyone has any new guides they would like to see on the site for the northwest or east sections please pm me and I'll get them on here!

Thanks,
Jim.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!
Jim Pullen

ARTLE BECK

Postby Jim Pullen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Jim Pullen

Postby woodsy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:27 pm

The owner of the estate (as per number in Stuart Miller guide) will not give permission to paddle the beck. (26/03/09).
woodsy

Postby Jim Pullen » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm pretty sure you don't have to access the beck via the estate's land, so in line with current river access thinking, is there a need to ask for their permission?
Jim Pullen

Postby Lancs_lad » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:21 pm

As if you need permission!

Althougth ! wouldnt recommend a group of more than 4.
Lancs_lad

Postby Lancs_lad » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Lancs_lad

Postby callwild » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Jim Pullen wrote:I'm pretty sure you don't have to access the beck via the estate's land, so in line with current river access thinking, is there a need to ask for their permission?

Quite agree Jim, probably no need with current feeling on access.
Things have changed a lot on the access front since 2003.
When we first did the beck we didn't ask either. But when writing the guide I contacted the then owners out of politeness as it is a bit more than just passing through an estate. The river actually runs through manicured and managed private gardens close to the house where the owners may be sitting on the lawn.
Many people would get upset with a constant flow of folk through their private garden.
I was surprised that at the time the owner did actually say yes to paddling so thought it worth mentioning.

With this being so close to Lancaster I could imagine all sorts of trouble if the beck was classed as a convenient grade 3. The emphasis on trees, and the grade 4 weir which it is not possible to really get out and inspect or portage was to try and self limit descents to small groups of confident paddlers who would pass by quietly and quickly without trespass.

Stuart Miller
callwild

Postby Kayacb » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Like the vid, the weir looks fantastic fun!
Kayacb

Postby Scuba Dave » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:09 am

Paddled this on the morning of 15/01/11. No trees required portaging and the sheep fence had gone.
Scuba Dave

Re: Artle Beck

Postby Lancs_lad » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:10 pm

Paddled this evening, the 1st time in awhile. Full of lots of new trees, due to the heavy rain recently lots of land slides have brought them down. Depending on levels some will need portaging. Unfortunately the best rapid has been spoiled by them. After the boulder slot, the rapid after this has 3 trees in it. The 1st unfortunately is completely out of sight on the blind left hand bend, in the middle of the big hole. I got pinned under it, luckily upright and in a stable position. It can be avoided with a squeeze under it on the right but like me if not expecting it I was to late to get across. After this there is one more branchy tree and then another substantial. No idea what was further down as we ran out of light and walked out!! Epic

On a plus note the massive tree just before the big cliff has moved and is now clear.
Lancs_lad

Re: Artle Beck

Postby Lancs_lad » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:25 pm

Vid showing the awesome Artle beck - click click *unfortunately lots of trees in it at the mo, be careful
Lancs_lad

Return to England - Northwest